New AL 80 $90 in San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
I can get a New al 80 tank from Sports Chalet in San Diego for $90 out the door. I am sure they buy them in bulk, but $200 for a basic AL 80 tank in Flordia is a major rip off!!

As pointed out in another thread, these are probably loss-leader items to bring you into the store. $200 for a new AL 80 is highly priced though.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
As pointed out in another thread, these are probably loss-leader items to bring you into the store. $200 for a new AL 80 is highly priced though.

Nope,

they don't advertise that price at all. In fact, the only time they advertise tanks is when they are even cheaper than that. Do note that thats for the cylinder only, with an A-clamp K its $109.

M

I dont suppose you can call and order those tanks or get them online can you? My LDS is $189 for a AL80 or if he has any for sale you can get his rental tanks for $140 but without a valve. Seems a little steep to me.

As a dealer I pay $100-110 for a tank with a valve. It costs another $10 or so to ship it. then it has to be visualled and get filled. If I sel it for $140 (which we don't) all I'm selling is the visual and fill. We don't buy in any huge quantities. I think we have to buy like 25 before any price break at all and then it isn't much.

I try to get customers (the regulars) to time their tank purchases to coincide with when I buy rental tanks. All selling them the tank does is help pay part of the huge shipping bill.

IMO, At the price most shops pay for a tank $160 (that's $25 to the shop beyond the shipping, vis and fill) or so is a more than fair price as long as the shop doesn't have to sit on it too long. If you have to tie up that much money for very long to make $20 there are just better things you can do with your money and space.

I have no problem with dropping 150 quid a tank at my LDS. I know what they pay for them and as Mike said they barely make a profit on them. Besides when you buy a tank online, you then have to pay ground shipping on a heavy item. My buddy thought he was saving a few bucks by buying online. Cost $168 a tank with insured shipping. Then, since they shipp tanks empty with the valve removed, he had to take them to the LDS for a VIP and fill which was $18. So now he spent a total of $186 for an AL 80. Not much of a savings. I had to laugh because I spent $300 on two tanks, ready to dive.

It's kinda funny and cool to hear someone posting about dropping 150 quid at a dive shop. It brings home how international this board is.

COOL!

:thumb:

scubaredneck once bubbled...
It's kinda funny and cool to hear someone posting about dropping 150 quid at a dive shop. It brings home how international this board is.

COOL!

:thumb:

I picked up the quid saying from a few friends of mine from the UK. They took back some sayings of mine with them. I'm actually from MI.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom