New 7mm wetsuit, what is more important, weight or height?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matthew Jones

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking at an Aqualung Flex 7mm suit for when I'm working the pool and in the winter hours here on island. Call me a baby, but whatever haha.

Anyhow, the two sizes I'm torn between are M and ML. I have a 3mm in the ML (long story, I was given the suit but never wear it), and I can literally grab a fist of material around my waist area (especially if sitting down or bent) probably because the ML is for 69 to 72 inches. The M is 68 to 71 inches (I'm about 68.5). The problem is the weight. Looking at height and judging by the amount of crap I can grab on the ML, I am leaning towards the M.

However, I'm 178-180 pounds. The M is for 150-170, and the ML is 165-185. I fit more into the weight of the ML, but the height of the M.

I really doubt I should be able to grab material around my waist like that and I have a feeling the water will pool up around there. I think the reason is because I'm no where near 6 feet tall, the max for that size.

That being said, I'm not remotely fat. I usually hover around 14% body fat. I could stand to lose a few pounds, but who couldn't. I read that the weight is a stupid way to size yourself for a wetsuit because you can't possibly know who is built how etc. So I'm torn. My shop sells Aqualung, so I'm obviously going to try that first, but I might have to move to a different company if this doesn't work out.

Thoughts? Wish Aqualung sized by chest size.

If it's for warmth, them you've got to try them on. There should be no wrinkles or gaps and the seals (neck, wrists, feet) should also fit to reduce water movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try them on. If ordering online use a retailer that has a friendly exchange policy with respect to size. An ill fitting suit will only make for an uncomfortable and increasingly stressful dive experience.

Ended up with the M instead of ML. If anyone is wondering, Aqualung HQ stated the ML is intended for someone with a bit of a gut, hence the bunched up material there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom