New 30ft Dive Cat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tom wicker

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone know any info on the new 30ft dive boat , It’s a well marked 30ft Cat called Wild Cat? Dose it belong to the new Dive shop over in Pensacola that opens april 1st?

Inquiring minds want to know

wjefferis:
What new dive shop?????????? any info would be appreciated.

After doing some fishing around and asking some questions from some old buddies I came up with this

((a dive shop in Gulf Breeze by the 3 mile bridge next to the Bay Beach Inn in the old Gas station. we should be open by April 1st and ready to serve you all. We will carry some bait and tackle as well for those who are doing some fishing and as soon as we can we are going to have a pier and dock to access the shop from the water.

We hope to serve the dive community here and are glad to have this opportunity to be apart of it. We think Pensacola has an awesome dive community and some great shops already in service like MBT and ******** and we hope to come along side of them as another shop offering quality friendly service and some of the best products too.))

The Boat is owned by a guy out of Louisiana and will be chartering out of Pensacola. They will have to be something else to beat Fritz. That old boy has cultivated Pensacola well and is liked by many divers. I like the way he always has a knack of putting you on a boat to accommodate a person on what their looking for. weather it be spearing or just a pleasure dive and of course lets not forget Capt Ron he seems to have a way of bringing new meaning to diving

tom wicker:
After doing some fishing around and asking some questions from some old buddies I came up with this

((a dive shop in Gulf Breeze by the 3 mile bridge next to the Bay Beach Inn in the old Gas station. we should be open by April 1st and ready to serve you all. We will carry some bait and tackle as well for those who are doing some fishing and as soon as we can we are going to have a pier and dock to access the shop from the water.

We hope to serve the dive community here and are glad to have this opportunity to be apart of it. We think Pensacola has an awesome dive community and some great shops already in service like MBT and ******** and we hope to come along side of them as another shop offering quality friendly service and some of the best products too.))

The Boat is owned by a guy out of Louisiana and will be chartering out of Pensacola. They will have to be something else to beat Fritz. That old boy has cultivated Pensacola well and is liked by many divers. I like the way he always has a knack of putting you on a boat to accommodate a person on what their looking for. weather it be spearing or just a pleasure dive and of course lets not forget Capt Ron he seems to have a way of bringing new meaning to diving

Thanks for the info Tom. Its about time we get a shop over here in the breeze! Whos the owner? I may go over there today and snoop around tom see if I can volinteer some construction services for some boat rides ! I could fill up the freezer pretty fast taking the empty seat on that boat!

We went out with A new charter service called the Divin Doc a few weeks ago, New cattamaran,clean ,fast and he swapped our tanks on the SI. He runs out of SEville Marina behind Fish House. May be my new favorite boat,its nice.
Im just gettin in to spearing so we need to get together so I can steal some pointers. Later Tom

Brandy, you need to come our way more often - we be spearing all the time, even off the beaches :wink:

tom wicker:
[snip]

We think Pensacola has an awesome dive community and some great shops already in service like MBT and ******** and we hope to come along side of them as another shop offering quality friendly service and some of the best products too.))

[snip]

That's odd.... (the ********* ). I find it odd that Scubaboard will censor a certain shops name.

mike_s:
That's odd.... (the ********* ). I find it odd that Scubaboard will censor a certain shops name.

Hummm Mike that censor was not on my part. I guess I missed that part in the TOS before joining. I just found it after being gone for a few days

Oh by the way Mike I’m needing a new set of fins, what’s on the market today that looks decent? You seem to keep well up on new equipment it seems from you post here. I’m leaning toward jet fins what do you think?

BRANDY:
Thanks for the info Tom. Its about time we get a shop over here in the breeze! Whos the owner? I may go over there today and snoop around tom see if I can volinteer some construction services for some boat rides !

Brandy give a shout if you need some help over there to get it going if he can use it. Me and my son-n-law can sink any pilings he may need or any bulk head work. Heck we will barter the labor also.

Brandy give a shout if you need some help over there to get it going if he can use it. Me and my son-n-law can sink any pilings he may need or any bulk head work. Heck we will barter the labor also.

The boat looks fast and the ownerof the shop from talking to him on the net seems pretty cool

tom wicker:
Oh by the way Mike I’m needing a new set of fins, what’s on the market today that looks decent? You seem to keep well up on new equipment it seems from you post here. I’m leaning toward jet fins what do you think?

these type Jet fins?
jetfinxl.jpg

I've heard that some people really like the Jet Fins, (Also some that don't like them).

I used to have a pair of them, but got some 'fancy looking set' a while later. (I hated the new ones and have upgrades since). The jet fins work fine, but I found them to be heavy and stiff. To me you had to work a little harder to use them. However, folks who dive DIR or dry seem to really like them. drysuit divers like them because they are stiffer and don't "give" when kicking more due to more drag of a drysuit.

PSD/Rescue divers seem to like them as they are a little shorter and easier for them to use for their 'mission'. Of course the military still uses them.

I have a set of Cressi "FROG" fins that I like. The fin is on the 'top' of the foot pocket instead of the bottom. so it looks kinds of weird.... they are full blade plastic, which is kinda not really "old school", but it seems that everyone is going with fins with soft rubber middles or split finds now days.... so the full plastic definately isn't 'new school' either.

I picked up a set of Tusa "Split Fins" a year or two ago and have been using those since. I like them, but you'll find some here that don't (that's true of anything though). One thing I really like about them is that my legs aren't fatigued after diving all day. However, I don't think they'd be good for drysuit diving and I think they'd "burn out" too easily. what I mean by "burn out" is that they'd fold over and loose propolsion due to kicking harder with more drag of a drysuit. But TUSA sorta has that solved. I think the model of split fins they sell in black is made with stiffer supports. So if you need the extra support during heavy kicking, you'll want the black ones.

I haven't had any complaints about the Tusa split fins, but if I kick really hard to try to go really fast from a dead stop, the fins will burn out some and you won't get the thrust you want from the amount of kicking you're doing. you just have to accelerate slower in cases like this. WIth that said though... I think if you had a full blade fin and kicked super hard from a dead stop trying to go really fast from a stop, you'd just run into more resistance and it harder to kick instead of the fin giving you more initinal speed. (But this is just my opinion). OF course if you have the legs of Lance Armstrong, you can prob make a full blade fin really kick some butt and put out a lot of thrust.

The Tusa Split Fins run I think $189 MSRP, but MAP is $129, so you're unlikely to see them advertised below that (unless on LP or so grey market dealer). However you can easily find them on sale sometimes for $99 a pair. Divers Direct had them on that year before last at their Tent Sale on 4th of July and Dive Sports has had them on sale for $99 before also.

Besides that, I don't have a huge amount to offer. Folks seem to like the Apollo Bio Fins alot also.. (of course you can find folks that don't like them also.) They are a little pricy in my opinion though.

Hope that helps. Sorry I don't have more info as I'm limited on what fins I've used to about 4 or 5 pairs.

BTW>. I've got some nice snorkle fins I use and ocassionally use them for diving. I find them to be too wimpy to push a diver with gear through the water except at a slower pace. in the long run, I'm wishing I had my larger fins on in the end.

Back
Top Bottom