Never build a boat, story of the Ho-Hum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you get this mod done, it will almost be time to build another boat and make it the way you want it this time..LOL. I've never been on a boat with a sea keeper, guess I need richer friends.
Michigan is a bit different than other states. You can't build a small charter boat. You can build a big one, but not a six pack.
We don't have uninspected vessels in Michigan. Basically, if you have a big boat, Coast Guard handles everything. If you are classified as uninspected by the coast guard. Michigan DNR does their own licensing and inspections. Coast Guard has rules and standards for a custom built boat, DNR does not.
Trust me, it would have been much cheaper and easier to build a new boat from scratch but I wouldn't be allowed to run it in Michigan. You have to buy an existing hull and title made by an actual boat builder with plans signed from a marine engineer. Any changes to that original boat have to be inspected and signed off, there is a process for that.
It is a unique little ecosystem here on the Lakes, you have to roll with the rules already in place.

Great to see this post that I have missed . I too have a aluminum skiff . Towed it all the way to Puerto Vallarta and Baja dirt roads . We are a few who forge are own path and I also like cardboard to make a pattern the old school way . Goodtimes Rumdumb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom