Never been to Europe, considering Italy.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live in southern Italy, new to scuba

It is Grotte di Monsummano Terme, in Tuscany. One of the strangest and more memorable dives of my life.
Nice suggestion; will look into it :)

So... You say that you're new to scuba, and that you're going to look into doing a cave dive? In my not at all humble opinion, that doesn't seem like a good idea. At all.

Here's what can happen when people go underwater under ground without the proper skills and training:
Italy: Four scuba divers drown in 'Blood Grotto' panic - CNN
Non c'è traccia dei 3 sub di Palinuro nella "bolla d'aria". Ancora dispersi
Possible double cave diving fatality in the Dom Rep
Father-son cave divers died after running out of air underwater: report

Those who don't take the time to get formally trained sometimes die. In fact, more than 95 percent of all cave diving deaths involve untrained divers. The remaining 5 percent are trained divers who go deeper than they should.

Cave diving is time- and equipment intensive. It's not a casual sport, and there's no room for weekend warriors.
Untrained divers have no place in dangerous caves

So... You say that you're new to scuba, and that you're going to look into doing a cave dive? In my not at all humble opinion, that doesn't seem like a good idea. At all.

Here's what can happen when people go underwater under ground without the proper skills and training:
Italy: Four scuba divers drown in 'Blood Grotto' panic - CNN
Non c'è traccia dei 3 sub di Palinuro nella "bolla d'aria". Ancora dispersi
Possible double cave diving fatality in the Dom Rep
Father-son cave divers died after running out of air underwater: report
Untrained divers have no place in dangerous caves

In Grotta Giusti there is always air above you! And light! And you do not wear any suit, nor BCD, nor fins. Just a small, single cylinder, a reg and your mask. The water is crystal clear and there is no sand or mud. It is easy and safe.
Not exactly for a beginner, of course, but has nothing to do with other caves where you have just rock above you! I think it is really unique!
On the other side, when I was young I dove in Palinuro caves (using twin cylinders, independent regs, dual lights, etc.). Some of them are easy, some are really dangerous, as the pavement is made of thin mud, which can make the visibility go to zero.

Not at all!!! I will look into it, meaning I will read what's it all about, just for curiosity and knowledge.
As I already said, I'm new to diving and have no intention at all to approach cave diving without proper training!
I'm well aware of the danger of such a practice.

Totally agree :)

Is diving in Venice any good? I’ll be arriving into Venice for a few days in October before driving to Barcelona. After arriving to Barcelona leaving on a cruise through Italy but don’t think I’ll have time during the cruise for diving unfortunately. But driving from Venice to Barcelona we will be passing a lot of coastal towns through Italy, France and Spain

Is diving in Venice any good? I’ll be arriving into Venice for a few days in October before driving to Barcelona. After arriving to Barcelona leaving on a cruise through Italy but don’t think I’ll have time during the cruise for diving unfortunately. But driving from Venice to Barcelona we will be passing a lot of coastal towns through Italy, France and Spain
Nothing good close to Venice.
You need to reach the Tirreno Sea for having decent dives. I suggest the Portofino area.

You need to reach the Tirreno Sea for having decent dives. I suggest the Portofino area.
I lived in Lerici, near La Spezia, for four years. I regret never scuba diving while there, but I did snorkel once at Portofino to see the statue.

Must do diving in Italy: Liguria (that's from where I'm from), Sardinia (very beautiful) and Sicily.

How about in Genoa? I’ll be passing there while driving. Once I’m on the cruise I’ll be doing the classic Italy stops, Rome, Naples, Florence etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom