Neutrally buoyant jet style fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UTD Precision Neutral/Positive fins: UTD Precision Fins - Neutrally/Positively Buoyant · UTD Scuba Diving

They are neutral in fresh water, slightly positive in salt water. They are the same size and shape as jetfins but about 1/2 the weight and have a deeper, more comfortable foot pocket. Mine are the original ones with spring straps. There might still be older stock around or you could ask them about sending them with spring straps if you want. Love them!

OMS slipstream are neutral IIRC, I think UTD has some neutral (maybe even positive?) fins as well.

I have a pair of OMS slipstreams (XL with spring straps) and they are definitely not neutral. Much better than Scubapro Jets but still needs a bit of balancing.

OMS Slipstreams (XL) - the fin I currently use.

Hollis F2 (S or M) - used this in the past when I was diving in southeast asia, but I mainly do temperate water shore dives now and the larger blade of the XL slipstreams work better for surface swims.

UTD Precision Neutral (S) - wife's fin, I've tried them but the material seems "bouncy" unlike the previous two fins, when my fintips touch I can feel them vibrate, didn't like them because to this.

Apeks RK3 (L) - tried a demo pair, I quite like the fin but the spring strap is too long for my feet and Apeks doesn't sell shorter ones.

Mares Power Plana - not a neutral fin, but it taught me two things - negative fins don't work for my body type and gear config, and I hate rubber bungee straps.

Just an update:

Went with the Deep 6 Eddy

So far seems to be exactly what I wanted. When set side by side with a Jet fin, you can't even tell the difference (besides the logo). They are almost identical in all dimensions/look. There is an obvious weight difference however and in the water, the Eddy will every so slightly sink in fresh water (would expect practically neutral in salt) where as a jet fin will fall like a brick. While diving, you really feel the difference in their buoyancy. In a bathing suit/rash guard with a single tank, the Eddy is exactly what I was looking for. You don't feel the strain of a heavy fin on your legs and it gives you all the propulsion you need as well as the control you need for precision finning.

The only downside I've found so far is that they feel a little more "flimsy" under water than a jet fin. They seem more flexible when frog kicking and don't feel like they have as much "oomph." I feel like I don't get as much propulsion behind each kick as I do with my jets. However I didn't get these to use with doubles and so they are exactly what I was looking for for my purpose.

Just an update:

Went with the Deep 6 Eddy

So far seems to be exactly what I wanted. When set side by side with a Jet fin, you can't even tell the difference (besides the logo). They are almost identical in all dimensions/look. There is an obvious weight difference however and in the water, the Eddy will every so slightly sink in fresh water (would expect practically neutral in salt) where as a jet fin will fall like a brick. While diving, you really feel the difference in their buoyancy. In a bathing suit/rash guard with a single tank, the Eddy is exactly what I was looking for. You don't feel the strain of a heavy fin on your legs and it gives you all the propulsion you need as well as the control you need for precision finning.

The only downside I've found so far is that they feel a little more "flimsy" under water than a jet fin. They seem more flexible when frog kicking and don't feel like they have as much "oomph." I feel like I don't get as much propulsion behind each kick as I do with my jets. However I didn't get these to use with doubles and so they are exactly what I was looking for for my purpose.
the foot pocket is WAY different however. Glad you like them overall.

I also think you are the very first to say that they feel flimsy when kicking, most say they are very stiff.

I meant flimsy compared to the jets. My jets feel super stiff comparibly. I did forget to mention the pocket the pocket is drastically different. More foot shaped makes a lot more sense. Overall is exactly what I needed for what I needed it for.

I could not agree more with you @Beau640 as I have been diving this week in St. Martin. I have been using rash-guard, Chubbie shorts and my Eddy fins and some booties. It has been AWESOME! I also did not feel that I got the same power when I was in heavy steel doubles that I do with other fins, but for lightweight travel vacation fins, these can not be beat..

Back
Top Bottom