"Neutral-Buoyancy" aluminum tanks, anybody tried them? Comments, likes or dislikes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm at the DEMA show and a woman stops by my booth and picks up a weight and says "These are really heavy, what are they made of?" I tell her "lead" see says "Why don't you make them out of aluminium, they would be so much lighter!":D

I'm at the DEMA show and a woman stops by my booth and picks up a weight and says "These are really heavy, what are they made of?" I tell her "lead" see says "Why don't you make them out of aluminium, they would be so much lighter!":D

"Alumking" just doesn't have the same ring to it. :wink:

Tobin

I own two of them and have dived with the oldest one for decades. I love them. Of course I also loved my steel HP120s, but wet fills on California dive boats killed one of those and hot fills on land killed the other. No problem with the Al80Ns. I'd still dive the HP120s though if the environment I dive in wouldn't destroy them within a few years.

The compact 80's were very popular tanks on Guam, they are the type that the shops typically order. People seem to like them because they feel that it's 4 lbs. less weight they have to put in their weight pockets or weight belt. I've never liked the compact 80's, I had to special order some of the regular 80's because I couldn't find them anywhere.

The compact 80's aren't very good for doubles in warm water (3mm or less wetsuits).

I prefer the normal 80's.

-Mitch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom