Neutral bouyancy photo rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hory

Contributor
Reaction score
I dive with a BP/wing and carry a digital camera on Ikelite housing with 1 or 2 strobes down. I noticed that the weight of the camera rig is not keeping me horizantal but rather putting my upper body lower than my legs and feet. I tried correcting this by using ankle weights and it seems to help keep me horizontal. Anybody found this setup to work for them too? Any suggestions on how I can maintain my horizontal position?

I have a theory. With a full tank and bp/wing fully deflated, I could measure, using a scale, the amount of pull (pull towards the surface) that the tank and bp/wing makes. Similarly, weighing a 2-lb weight and camera rig can be measured using the same scale to measure the amount of push it creates. If I work the math correctly, I should be able to come up with a combination of weights and camera equipment that will equal if not give a slightly negative setup for me. Anyone tried this?

Best,
Hory

Someone on Digital Divers recently posted a project for building a DIY system for making his Ikelite arms neutral. You might get some ideas---->HERE

Or try adding a little air to your Wing. works for me

Dee, Bob's rig is awesome! I hope he follows up with a report on how it performed in Bonair. Thanks for the tip.

Badfish, I tried that too. It just gave me a lift, but still did not achieve horizontal position.

Hory

Hory...until you're able to lighten that housing rig, try shifting your trim weight a little lower than usual. ie. you're tank just a little lower than normal, maybe even a couple of 1# bullet weights on your waist webbing, at the back where the webbing going into the BP. That's how Beast got his balance fine tuned.

Ankle weights sound like they would work but actually all you're doing is weighting down your feet which can lead to lower back stress and fatigue. I know, I've have to wear ankle weights and most sets are way too heavy until you take out some of that weight and adjust them to your needs. I use them as a last resort.

Dee, that's also a great suggestion. Will try using 2# weights on each side of the webbing instead of the 2# weights on each ankle.

Best,
Hory

Try changing your arm system to Ultralight Control Buoyancy arms. They can be had in many lengths and can be adapted to your Ikelite housing. I use Seacams and I found the arms help out a great deal. Good Luck...

First decide how you really want the camera trimed. Do you want it slightly positive or negative? Trim the camera by itself. Now work on YOUR trim adjustments. I find that I'm usually at a slight upward body angle (head higher than feet). Less strain on my neck. When taking a pic I spend more time near vertical than horizontal. When just cruising around I tend to pull the camera into my chest vs holding it out in front of me. This decreases the tendency to rotate my body. My camera rig is slightly negative. I like to be able to set it on the bottom if necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom