Neptune Space PREDATOR - has anyone used this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mntdiver:
I apologize if we seem to be coming down a bit harsh

Mntdiver - I appreciate the feed back, positive and negative all the same – its what I’m looking for. 2K is a big nut to crack, no need for my wife and I to repeat the errors of others – we’d rather learn from them. Additionally my brother-in-law wishes to purchase the same mask, I’ll be tossing a copy of this thread to him in email for his benefit as well.

I must admit tho, I need to go back and reread this thread as I am utterly confused on which direction to go next.

Crimson Ghost:
Mntdiver - I appreciate the feed back, positive and negative all the same – its what I’m looking for. 2K is a big nut to crack, no need for my wife and I to repeat the errors of others – we’d rather learn from them. Additionally my brother-in-law wishes to purchase the same mask, I’ll be tossing a copy of this thread to him in email for his benefit as well.

I must admit tho, I need to go back and reread this thread as I am utterly confused on which direction to go next.

Curious...why do you need FFM's? I use an EXO on rare occasions. Heavy, but terrific for ice diving where you may needs comms.

Top Dawg is a flat port video camera. Do you really want something that limited? It isn't cheap and you may want something with greater capability.

Crimson Ghost:
... I must admit tho, I need to go back and reread this thread as I am utterly confused on which direction to go next.
If I read the thread properly I'm inclinded to say that the AGA likely wins by a hair over the EXO-26 with the Neptune bringing up the rear.

I own Kirby Morgan Exo-26 masks with OTS military comm as well as the AGA. Like them both about the same. I find the EXO-26 does limit my vision a little but not too bad. Either one is a good choice to consider but I would really stay away from Neptunes if you can. They are a poor investment for your money and diving experience. Ebay is full of them from folks trying to sell theirs. Resale on AGAS and Kirby Morgans is very high and you can recoup money back if you decide to sell them.
You might think about whether you really need a FFM. Even diving with others with comm I do minimal talking on them. I just like hearing bubbles, not talking when I dive.

james croft:
I own Kirby Morgan Exo-26 masks with OTS military comm as well as the AGA. Like them both about the same. I find the EXO-26 does limit my vision a little but not too bad. Either one is a good choice to consider but I would really stay away from Neptunes if you can. They are a poor investment for your money and diving experience. Ebay is full of them from folks trying to sell theirs. Resale on AGAS and Kirby Morgans is very high and you can recoup money back if you decide to sell them.
You might think about whether you really need a FFM. Even diving with others with comm I do minimal talking on them. I just like hearing bubbles, not talking when I dive.

It may be that my wife and i enjoy the sounds of bubbles as well -- won't know until we try. All I can say currently is that we like the concept of full communication while diving -- On dive tripes we would bring the FFM and our regular masks as well. It's not as if we are going to force ourselves to be 100% FFM.

I'll look into the AGA and EXO and the OTS Comm and see if these are affordable. Thank you all very much for your sharing your thoughts and experiances !

Oh...ouch. The OTS Comm is $670 ontop of the AGA mask that's $800. When I was considering this as an option it was because the Neptune space mask including comm was $1000 total.

Looks like you're comparing OTS retail pricing to a special by Ocean Reef. This would be my guess. Scuba.com lists the Space with comms at $1425.95. Retail for both, looks like they're in the ballpark.

mntdiver,
Specifically, what's your opinion on the Mantis? It's reasonably priced. And now has a surface breather valve. What are your thoughts?
Thanks!
Vaughn

It's not bad. It's a basic, very low profile and simple mask to use. I've dived it about half dozen times. Comfortable. It'll free flow a little when you go upside down, due to the mushroom valve on the bottom. You can stick a coin in there and that will block it off. I don't think it's necessary anyway, easy enough to clear without it. The straps could be improved a bit, but having a buddy make sure that they're straight doesn't hurt. It's easy enough to get out of with the fastex style buckles on the jaw straps. It has a fog free coating on the lenses. You have to get them wet though. The first time I dived it was in about 55F water. Didn't think I'd have to do anything to the lenses and just donned the mask and dived. Fogged up in a couple of minutes. I decided to flood the mask a little to wash it around a little and had a hell of a time getting water in the mask. It would blow out and not allow any water in. Hydrostatic pressure at work. I had to invert to get any water in the mask. Once I rinsed the mask, it didn't fog the remainder of the dive. It's easy to equalize, just like a standard mask. Overall, not bad, but I won't be giving up my AGA mask any time soon. Oh, and I wouldn't get the clear mask, it yellows up pretty quickly.

Crimson Ghost:
Oh...ouch. The OTS Comm is $670 ontop of the AGA mask that's $800. When I was considering this as an option it was because the Neptune space mask including comm was $1000 total.

If history is any predictor of the future, if you go with the Neptune then you will be dumping it shortly and buying the AGA....so your cost doubles, but then again you might get a few bucks for the Neptune from some unsuspecting individual on eBay.

Back
Top Bottom