Neptune Space PREDATOR - has anyone used this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania:
It is standard ... metric. Also consider the EXO-26 which I think is the best of the bunch.

The EXO FFM appears that it might have limited visibility as compared to the others. Of course I am only viewing an online image – which undoubtedly is doing it no justice. I’ll see if a lds has one I can try – thanks.

Crimson Ghost:
I tried that mask on at the Beneath the Sea 2007 exhibit last weekend. I liked it until I tried on the Space Predator which had a better feel. Also, the AGA required an adaptor for my air hose – why wouldn’t they make the connection a standard fitting?

Between the two the main reason I was/am leaning more towards the Neptune is the feel when wearing the masks.

I have found a few more posts regarding the Neptune, but nothing specifically about any flaws – but a common theme of negativity…..ugh, nothings ever easy!

OK, here is a high level list of issues I have with the Ocean Reef Masks...if you wish greater detail on any one of them, let me know...

1. Regulator is positioned too far from face causing either greater free flows or 'straw sucking' due to hydrstatic pressure -- unless you dive in vertical position. The Predator was modified to decrease the distance, but still the design of having it mounted 'normal' vs. tranversal like the AGA prevents them from getting it much closer.

2. Air flow design -- again because of the design, air flow that is routed up 'might' go over the visor and act like a defroster on a car. The AGA's design insures it does by placing the vents right at the base of the visor and making the visor straight from there -- no curves. I have never fogged an AGA. The Ocean Reef webpage gives you several reason why you might fog up....clearing a fogged mask in a full face mask is a little more complicated than a normal mask.

3. Quick disconnect on 2nd stage. Ya, the Swedes somehow decided to use a custom size on the end of their hose that connects to the 2nd stage, but at least it threads on. The idea of a quick disconnect on my air supply is not something I am comfortable with -- Murphy says it will 'quickly disconnect' at the least opportune time.

4. Headstrap/buckles -- when they were trying to fix the problem with their cheap plastic buckles ( plastic is fine, just use a heavier duty version) on the Space, they decided to go with metal buckles on the Predator. For whatever reason, they decided to go to a nylon mask strap. Well nylon doesn't compensate well for changes in my hood thickness as I descend. I asked the guy at Ocean Reef about that and he said just tighten it as you descend. Presumably I must remember to loosen it (but not too much) as I ascend or get a nice headache as the hood thickness increases. This is especially true since the buckles are attached to the metal frame -- so there is nothing to expand/contract.

5. As far as communications, OTS is the unqualified leader. Their gear is used by Chatterton and Kohler on Deep Sea Detectives (one of the OTS guys was even on camera on one episode). Go to their website ( albeit rather plain ) and you will see a ton of credits like Titanic, Sphere, The Italian Job as well as professionals like Howard Hall, Stan Waterman, and the Cousteaus. All the big aquariums use it. As best as I can see on the Ocean Reef website, one aquarium is the only credit shown. Oh ya, and the Navy Seals use AGA masks and OTS equipment as do a bunch of other countries' military.

I may have missed something, but those are the ones that come to mind...

Crimson Ghost:
The EXO FFM appears that it might have limited visibility as compared to the others. Of course I am only viewing an online image – which undoubtedly is doing it no justice. I’ll see if a lds has one I can try – thanks.
In my experience their all quite similar. The AGA had the best vis (with the old faceplate) but most divers needed to scuff or tape the side panels to avoid mild vertigo. The EXO's faceplate is very close to your eyes, and it is by far the most rugged (designed and built by the folks who brought you the Kirby Morgan Band Masks and the Suplerlight series of helmets).

The only thing I don't like about the EXO is the frontal weight and working overhead in it. The AGA has a much lighter frontal weight and is good working overhead and inverted. Anyway it is a good unit.

Gary D.

Crimson Ghost:
My wife and I are considering purchasing full face masks with communication capabilities. We have never used anything like this before and really like the idea (plus, like others I am sure, we like our "toys" ) The web site is Ocean Reef Group I did a search on the site for FFM and found someone saying that Neptunes are not the best, but the post did not make any specific claims against Neptune nor did it suggest another.

I think you need to dig a little more. There has been a lot of discussion on the issues with the design and quality of the Ocean Reef masks. To recap, here are some of the issues with the mask:

Profile, the reg sticking out so far in front. This causes hydrostatic issues. Free flow when looking down and hard to breath when looking up. Reguires an adjustment.

Seperate exhaust. Requires an adjustable exhaust.

There's plastic, and then there's "plastic".

Quality. Cheap, not as in price...

I often wonder who is designing this stuff. Certainly it's not divers. Look at the new lights they have that mount in the mask. Tell me they won't glare and backscatter.

And the comms are a poor knock off of the Buddy Phone. What's with the mounting on the piece of stamped out plastic???

It was an adapted gas mask. The design wasn't originally meant for diving anyway.

And now I see that Nathan just posted with more detail. Beat me to the punch. Good post.

Talk to people that dive full face masks for any length of time and the opinion of the OR mask doesn't hold high, for the most part. One positive is that the seal on the skirt is pretty comfortable and it does fit some faces that the AGA can't. But, overall, I'd take an AGA, M-48, Mantis, ScubaPro or Poseidon over the Neptune any day. Oh well, it's only life support...

Tom Winters:
You don't get yelled at enough on the surface? I go underwater specifically not to hear stuff.

But I bet you don't leave home without your cell phone... :D

Oh well, it's only life support... Everyone keeps saying this! Find me something dangerous about this mask. There is nothing dangerous about. It works just like they advertise it to. I have never had a problem with them except with the old style exhaust that was on the mask. That one did freeflow when heads down. The new style isn't as bad about that.

Oh, and BTW, it's now a HUGO car it's a YUGO car. If you are going to try to put something down by comparing it with something else you should at least get it right!

I think MTNDIVER's list was rather complete. The AGA was also a gas mask, but that doesn't hold it back. The EXO is the only one designed from the ground up and I think that shows. But I the AGA is a darned close second.

Thalassamania:
I think MTNDIVER's list was rather complete. The AGA was also a gas mask, but that doesn't hold it back. The EXO is the only one designed from the ground up and I think that shows. But I the AGA is a darned close second.

You could say that the current Divator (AGA Mask) came from a firefighting mask, but that's quite a few generations ago. Sorta like an airplane being related to a bicycle. The diving program started in the late 40's with the AGA company. The diving equipment was designed from a fire fighting mask and compressed air. I had additional documentation on the development of the equipment, can't find it now. Here you'll find a brief history of the mask: AGA History

fldiver1, correct me if I'm wrong, but, didn't you just have an incident with your Neptune reg shutting you down at 60 feet? I'm guessing that wasn't advertised.

I apologize if we seem to be coming down a bit harsh. But, I have dived the Neptune II, the Space, Interspiro Divator (AGA), KM-48, ScubaPro, Mantis and the EXO-26. Some of these are fine masks and some aren't. Our opinion was asked for and given.

Back
Top Bottom