Neptune Space PREDATOR - has anyone used this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crimson Ghost

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I are considering purchasing full face masks with communication capabilities. We have never used anything like this before and really like the idea (plus, like others I am sure, we like our "toys" ) The web site is Ocean Reef Group I did a search on the site for FFM and found someone saying that Neptunes are not the best, but the post did not make any specific claims against Neptune nor did it suggest another.

I like the AGA by Interterspiro. You can use communications with this mask also.

I tried that mask on at the Beneath the Sea 2007 exhibit last weekend. I liked it until I tried on the Space Predator which had a better feel. Also, the AGA required an adaptor for my air hose – why wouldn’t they make the connection a standard fitting?

Between the two the main reason I was/am leaning more towards the Neptune is the feel when wearing the masks.

I have found a few more posts regarding the Neptune, but nothing specifically about any flaws – but a common theme of negativity…..ugh, nothings ever easy!

Crimson Ghost:
I tried that mask on at the Beneath the Sea 2007 exhibit last weekend. I liked it until I tried on the Space Predator which had a better feel. Also, the AGA required an adaptor for my air hose – why wouldn’t they make the connection a standard fitting?

Between the two the main reason I was/am leaning more towards the Neptune is the feel when wearing the masks.

I have found a few more posts regarding the Neptune, but nothing specifically about any flaws – but a common theme of negativity…..ugh, nothings ever easy!

The negativity you hear about the Ocean Reef is typically based on several issues.

In the early days of this mask, there were clearly some problems with the design. Those have been corrected in the revisions to the mask over the past 10 years. Many of the people who complain about the mask are commercial divers who are accustomed to the AGA and prefer its design. For recreational diving, I think the Ocean Reef is just fine.

The new Predator is really a nice mask. We have already sold about 20 of them and are getting nothing but good remarks from the users. If you have any questions about the mask, fell free to give me a call at (800) 601-3483. We do not yet have the Predator listed on our website, but I may be able to help you with your questions. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

I have been diving the NEPTUNE II's for a few yrs now and never noticed a major increase in air consumption. Actually since the exhaust improvements I use "about" the same amount I used before on a normal 2nd stage. I WANT to get one of the new space masks but since I just bought a new NEPTUNE II NIRA last month I think I will have to wait a bit. Alot of people seem to talk neg. about teh OCEAN REEF stuff but I have been using it for a while now for recreational diving and I absolutely love them.

Excellent – thank you all for the feed back. I’ll pass these responses to the Mrs. and more than likely will purchase these in the next month or so.

Before going to Beneath the Sea our plan was to purchase a Top-Dawg video camera so we can share with the family our passion (which they just don’t understand) – but are now really more interested in expanding our enjoyment instead :)

Crimson Ghost:
why wouldn’t they make the connection a standard fitting?
It is standard ... metric. Also consider the EXO-26 which I think is the best of the bunch.

EXOBR.JPG

I had 2 of the Neptune FFMs with comms. Thought the same thing, might be kinda cool, be a little safer since we could stay in touch. She liked it b/c for some people not having any water under the nose is a good thing. Gas consumption and poss buoyancy on my face I din't care for, not to metion the space they take up. So they went on E-bay. I guess its the old YMMV, have fun whatever way you decide to go

Get a couple of agas and a pair of buddyphones from OTS. Much better than anything Neptune makes. The reason commercial divers like the aga is for the same reason most public safety divers and the military like it. Safety, reliability, superior design and quality. The PSD teams that buy the Neptunes always end up dumping them for AGA, or Kirby Morgans. A Hugo car also may be fine for recreational driving, but don't count on it to get you to work everyday. Many folks are happy with Neptunes, but they have no or little experience with other FFM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom