Neptune full face report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great response, TX...

Having played, but not dived, with the Poseidon, I would have a couple of concerns. 1) The adjustment of the equalizing pad is very limited without cutting. You might have to have extra pushpads if you need to move the adjustment. 2) The oral/nasal, where is the water going to go if you flood the mask? Note the wrap up in front of the chin. Shouldn't be too difficult to fix, though you have to wonder what they were thinking. Having said that, I have one, I just have to get out and dive it.

As far as the second stage goes, there are a few features that are hard to beat with the Divator. The isolated inhalation valve for extreme cold water diving. Not a knock on the Jetstream, I've had my Jetstream and my AGA on multi-dive days in water below 37f and air at 10f with no failures. The Canadian RCMP and OPP use the AGA in all kinds of weather in the Great White North with no reported failures. And I've seen AGA's that in no way, shape or form should be dived due to abuse, misuse and neglect, being dived by others (either brave/not too bright or a combination of both) without incident. The Divator second stage is hard to beat. The one improvement I'd like to see is the buckle lugs on the AGA. I do like the Poseidon attachment points, but the AGA straps are heavier.

Good to see an experienced user on here for a change... Nothing against those that aren't (except for the US Military bashing), they have to start somewhere. I just hate to see them get bad advice on marginal equipment.

Good point about the dealer with only one mask. Proof that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Unless they only carried the AGA... I guess my bias is showing through.

Full face masks are coming into the sport diving world. While scuba divers have had access to masks like the AGA and Exo for quite a few years, they had to hunt them down or stumble across them.

PADI now offers a full face mask course for those new to this equipment. I salute PADI taking this step and I believe that this will be a major step in expanded use of FFM.

AGA has always been an item really only available through LDS that seek out being a dealer. Poseidon has always had an excellant reputation, and now with Viking being the US Distributor that will improve service after the sale and expand the dealer network.

Of course, DSI with their Exo and M48 mask have nice offerings and have a reputation in building commercial equipment second to none. There are only a handful of companies that can honestly say that their products have been and are used daily at depths over 1,000 fsw.

A person might say "well I am only a sport diver so why do I need commercial equipment". That is a vaild question, but in FFM masks, the commercial and military community have been using, refining and evolving them longer then the SCUBA has been in exisitance.

If given the opportunity, people should take a test dive with a good FFM. They may find themselves enjoying diving in a whole new way. To me, the benefits are the ability to breath naturally through your nose; to be able to communicate with other divers and even the surface on a dive; and to dispose of having that bit of water in the bottom of your mask.

I had a Neptune FFM for a brief time. It was a user friendly mask being that it came with the surface valve, quick disconnect, quick disconnect dingo balls. I thought the Nira second stage sucked, like others mentioned what's up with the surface/dive valve?? All and all it looked more like a toy. I sold my Neptune and bought the AGA. My only complaint was not having a surface valve, I have since installed the OTS ambient air valve.

Anyone know what the recommended max depth is for the AGA? I've heard that it's around 100', but I haven't found anything in the literature.

The US Navy has it listed at the approved depth of the first stage that you're using. Max depth approved for scuba is 190 fsw. The AGA has been tested in unmanned testing to 1800 fsw by Duke University and it performed very well. I have personal knowledge of it going to 315 feet. Any time you dive with a FFM to depth or in overhead environments, always prepare and train for contigencies. Have redundants and learn how to use them, be it a manifold block or half mask and redundant gas supply...

Short answer, as deep as you need and are trained and prepared to go.

Cold water: How do you like the ABV?

mntdiver once bubbled...
The US Navy has it listed at the approved depth of the first stage that you're using. Max depth approved for scuba is 190 fsw. The AGA has been tested in unmanned testing to 1800 fsw by Duke University and it performed very well. I have personal knowledge of it going to 315 feet. Any time you dive with a FFM to depth or in overhead environments, always prepare and train for contigencies. Have redundants and learn how to use them, be it a manifold block or half mask and redundant gas supply...

Short answer, as deep as you need and are trained and prepared to go.

Cold water: How do you like the ABV?

I really like the ABV...it's mounted on the upper right hand side of the face shield. It's high enough that you can still use it on the suface when the water is a little choppy, unlike the Neptune which is down low. It helps save on the gas while on the surface. The reason why I asked about the depth was that I was told by a dealer that the max limit was 100' due to the
design of the face shield, meaning it would become unstable. It didn't make sense to me.

You are correct about carrying redundant equipment. When I dive with my FFM I always carry a spare mask and my pony bottle.
We routinely practice bailing out of our FFM and swithing to our pony bottle and mask.

The only thing I like to add is a quick disconnect. I know some here feel they are a potential failure point, but they are sure user friendly.

Hmmm, unstable? Never heard of that. I've had mine to 140. With the balanced second stage, it performs very well, especially at depth. Wondering what he thinks the visor has to do with it. This guy isn't an Ocean Reef dealer, is he? This certianly lends creedance to what TX65 was saying about dealers that don't know what they are talking about. There are alot out there that just don't know when to say that they just don't know. Lots of experts out there...

For a quick disconnect, contact a commercial diving supply.

It is standard practice with Helmets and Band Masks to use a stainless steel quick disconnect on the bailout whip. These are heavier duty quick disconnects then the ones used in Scuba with the BC. Hoses can be custom made to your spec.

Also, if you want a dual inlet capability, DSI makes a compact manifold block that mounts on your harness. It came out when the EXO was introduced and you can have 2 gas sources along with up to 4 LP outlets. It will work with any mask.
Nice thing about this block is it is on your harness, not hanging on the side of the mask like the Neptune. It also adds another level of safety because unless your 2nd stage on the mask fails, you dont have to ditch the mask.

http://www.diverssupplyinc.com is a commercial diving source based in New Orleans that has a good website.

The reason why I asked about the depth was that I was told by a dealer that the max limit was 100' due to the

Nothing unstable about the faceport, for that matter there is no pressure on it in the first place...

The Navy depth limitation for SCUBA was as TX diver stated, the depth of the first stage assembly, for surface supplied diving the depth limit is 60 FSW...

Jeff

PADI now offers a full face mask course for those new to this equipment. I salute PADI taking this step and I believe that this will be a major step in expanded use of FFM.

YMCA also offers a full-face mask certification...

Jeff Lane

As an unexperienced diver, I digress to those who know more of FFMs and how they are tested and rated.

Due to the overwhelming birage of hate mail regarding this mask, I have recently begun looking into purchasing an AGA and a Poseiden. It appears I can purchase an AGA from OTS for $580 (w/ hose + tax). My dealer tells me he can get me an AGA but the 2nd stage is tempermental (his words).

Back
Top Bottom