Neoprene vs. Latex dry suit seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paddler3d

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What are the pros and cons of neoprene and latex dry suit seals.

Thanks,

Chris

Here's what I found at FAQs about Drysuits. It's from a site dedicated to drysuits for surface water use, but what it says will still be valid for diving drysuits.

Latex Seals or Neoprene Seals?
Latex seals provide a more efficient seal than neoprene. They are easy to put on and wear, especially if you cut them down so they feel comfortable – they might feel rather tight to begin with due to their conical shape so you just trim it down following the imprinted guides. Neck thermal needs to be worn to provide insulation (see our snug base layer)

Neoprene seals are comfortable to wear and provide thermal protection but do not provide as good a seal. This is because they are not as stretchy, and might not fit as well - and they do not having the bellow in their design which means when your head is bending forward, as when you hike or trapeze, you might find a gap between the seal and the nape of you neck.

There's another thread here entitled "Latex or neoprene dry suit neck seal and why?": http://www.direxplorers.com/dir-kit-questions/8442-latex-neoprene-dry-suit-neck-seal-why.html:

I had neoprene seals on my drysuit and switched them out for latex as they were always leaking. I had no leaking issues with the latex. I do have a small neck and wrists. Neoprene is likely warmer but not if you're getting wet!!
I would say it depends on the person using them. If your tendons protrude somewhat sharply on your wrists, you likely will not get a good seal with neoprene (my problem).

Diverlady

I have a neoprene neck seal because I don't like anything really tight around my neck, and latex wrist seals because they tend to leak less than neoprene.

My neoprene drysuit has all neoprene seals and it works well for me as a system.

The neoprene neck seal give a nice landing spot for the drysuit hood to seal against. As mine fits it's comfortable and has been leak free. All that neoprene on the neck is very cozy.

The wrist seals are of the skin out style so like the neck seal they get about 1/3 tucked back under themselves. These have also been leak free. With a good 5mm gauntlet glove the long smooth seal provides a good landing/sealing zone and again works well including on ice dives.

All in all for the type of shore diving I do it's been a good set-up

If you do want to add dry gloves there are virtually no commercial options.

Being neoprene the seals will compress with depth and this can alter the fit. For my typical dives to 40 feet or so it's been a non issue but the odds of issues increase with depth.

Installation is a butt joint as opposed to the lap joint use with latex. That would seem to make replacing neoprene a little tougher.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom