neoprene seal question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadobadoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After years of diving a DUI TLS350 trilam I have decided to switch to a neoprene suit. I got an INSANE deal on a new Pinnacle Black Ice and just tried it out in the pool. I like it a lot and hope it is a bit warmer than my old trilams. I really enjoyed my two trilams over the years. Light and easy to deal with but darn I was ALWAYS cold. I will find out soon...:D

To my question...I realize you have to fold the neck seal down/in and all but I have to fold mine a good 5 or so inches to get the thing to rest under my adam's apple. What a pain and not easily done without help from a buddy. It also causes water to make my neck colder and seems to trap more air since the potential air pocket inside is larger. Make sense?

SO...my question is how far down should the seal be tucked in towards my neck? I assume and have always read/seen about an inch or two but not almost half a foot???

AND...assuming I have to cut the length of this bad boy, this makes me nervous. I have cut my latex seals many times but never neoprene.

Thanks for any advice/comments on this topic...

After years of diving a DUI TLS350 trilam I have decided to switch to a neoprene suit. I got an INSANE deal on a new Pinnacle Black Ice and just tried it out in the pool. I like it a lot and hope it is a bit warmer than my old trilams. I really enjoyed my two trilams over the years. Light and easy to deal with but darn I was ALWAYS cold. I will find out soon...:D

To my question...I realize you have to fold the neck seal down/in and all but I have to fold mine a good 5 or so inches to get the thing to rest under my adam's apple. What a pain and not easily done without help from a buddy. It also causes water to make my neck colder and seems to trap more air since the potential air pocket inside is larger. Make sense?

SO...my question is how far down should the seal be tucked in towards my neck? I assume and have always read/seen about an inch or two but not almost half a foot???

AND...assuming I have to cut the length of this bad boy, this makes me nervous. I have cut my latex seals many times but never neoprene.

Thanks for any advice/comments on this topic...

You may want to go back to the LDS where you got your drysuit so you can try it on & show them where the neckseal comes up to so that they can give you some feedback on how much needs to be trimmed as well as the best way to do it.

As for how much the seal needs to be turned inside, there is no pat answer to that question. However, IMHO the amount you are quoting is too much: I would think optimal amount would be 3"-4" .

FWIW, both Hubby & I have DUI 350TLS with neoprene seals. I have never dove anything BUT neoprene seals.

Bonne chance,

I had my neo neck seal custom made by Gamble. It folds under only about 1-1.5". Really not that much. It never leaks, it's warmer that latex, and WAY more comfortable, plus it doesn't leave any strangle marks.

On trimming the neck seal it's all about fitting the taper. Trimming is done to increase the minimum opening. if you are comfortable as-is then tuck it in and go dive. If you are getting red in the face then trim it back a little at a time to cut back on the taper. Any cuts need to be nick free so there isn't a starting point of a rip. The shop did mine with nice shears. A straight edge and razor is also common.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom