neoprene neck seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manni-yunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I got my drysuit back from bare and took it for a swim in the pool last night.

The neo neck seal appears to be a little bit loose, even when I had it tucked under as much as possible. I have read that some people stay bone dry from the neo and others say they get a trickle from the back of their neck - but nothing to bad to deal with.

I didnt like the latex - so I like the feel of the neo better - BUT - it leaks a little more than a trickle and in cold water it could be a problem.

And to this question before everyone asks - YES - I had it on correctly and tucked in the cirrect direction.

I was looking at the neck seal itself and it appears to be 2 pieces of neoprene that bare seams together a 2 places.

Would I be crazy to CUT a triangle shaped piece about 5 inches deep (measure from the top of the neckseal when it is standing ctraight up and untucked) then re seam the seal. I think if it were about 3/8 of an inch tighter it would be better. The 5 inches part would tighter up the part of the seal that is actually tucked under and against my neck.

A) is this ridiculous for me to try and
B) where can I buy the seaming tape that bare uses on the inside of the seal?

Looks like another solution might be an Apollo Bio Seal. Any feedback on these.

I could send it back to Bare and they will alter it for free - since it is a brand new seal.....BUT....Shipping both ways alone makes it not worth it.

I use a bio seal on my neoprene neck. It does help...though, I don't know if it will be the solution for you. Seems best just to have a properly fitted neck seal in addition to the bio seal.

As long as you're not looking to make a hugely drastic change in circumference, you can definitely make the neck smaller on your own. Here's what I've done before. Cut out a triangular wedge (mine was roughly 1/8" wide by 1" long) from the neck, put 3 coats of seal cement on each side (letting it dry between coats), press them together, then put 2-3 coats of aquaseal on the inside.

I dont think it is that big - just a little.

Has anyone ever trimmed a neo neck seal. I asked at my LDS and the told me not to.

But - when I fold it in - the inside goes all the way down to almost my collarbone and my jaw is hitting the seal and ends up pushing down on the fold and breaking the seal.

I didnt think that it should fold over 4 - 5 inches.

The back on the seal is HIGHER than the front when unfolded and standing straight up - should I match this contor if I cut an inch off of it.

Sorry for all of the questions - overall - I love this suit. Very comfortable and fits perfect.

I think I can customize this thing and a little tweak and it should be perfect - BUT - i want to plan it al lout first. Is there a place to buy this heat weld tape in small pieces - I dont need 100 ft of it.

I dont think it is that big - just a little.

Has anyone ever trimmed a neo neck seal. I asked at my LDS and the told me not to.

But - when I fold it in - the inside goes all the way down to almost my collarbone and my jaw is hitting the seal and ends up pushing down on the fold and breaking the seal.

I didnt think that it should fold over 4 - 5 inches.

The back on the seal is HIGHER than the front when unfolded and standing straight up - should I match this contor if I cut an inch off of it.

Sorry for all of the questions - overall - I love this suit. Very comfortable and fits perfect.

I think I can customize this thing and a little tweak and it should be perfect - BUT - i want to plan it al lout first. Is there a place to buy this heat weld tape in small pieces - I dont need 100 ft of it.

I would send it back.....OR if your going to do it yourself, then ask bare if you can try, and if it doesn't work they will still fix for free. Tell them you are attempting to save shipping for both parties.

If your going to do it, cut a little out, use Neoprene cement (FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS ON BOTTLE), put a little on both ends, allow to dry, stick the two ends together....viola, all done. It will stay for MANY years! No seam tape needed. If you have some rough edges of glue sticking out, just sand it away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom