Neoprene Dive Sneakers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hollis do some decent rock boots. Had a student who was using them with some thin neoprene socks inside, for tropical diving. Much cheaper than the Posiedon boots, they said.

One diver I know who uses Posiedon 'sneaker' boots complains the rear zip is dreadful and fragile.

they are light weight but thick molded sole ( remember they are military ) I wore them training and in operational situations still use that pair down south , they have no thermal protection , they have some on e bay right now just put in seal coral booties (army used them too ) they worked great I would not sell any of mine ......steve
I was looking at something like this, thinking about the old toe cramp...
Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 4.29.21 PM.png

View attachment 379247 View attachment 379248 '
][
"when I was in the service we had what were called coral booties you can still get them if you know where to look they wore like iron 1 pair lasted me years I still have 2 new pairs .....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the genesis of diving in SoCal, where it all began , there were two pairs of fins available for the diver; the Churchill's and the Duck Foot . Both had ample foot pockets and both were non adjustable.

The Churchills were short ad flexible the Duck Feet were long and almost inflexible. The majority of the divers of that era chose Duck Feet. In order to avoid chaffing and to wear the biggest available fins for maximum propulsion the voids were filled in with a pair of WW 11 surplus black soled tennis shoes- which left black marks if worn inside the house ( remember them well)

It was discovered Palley's War surplus in Vernon , near LA had bens loaded with white WW11 Coral boots for as I recall 19 cents a pair. It didn't take long for the divers to migrate to the WW11 Coral boot .

They were approximately the same cut as a high topped tennis shoe but has a long one piece tongue which acted as a barred against sand intrusion and a very tough composite sole which protected the feet and afforded good traction. For a period of about 3 to 5 years until the establishment of dive supplier they were the boot of choice for divers in SoCal

Now I note the US government has developed a Mark 11 coral boot (or Mark ??? by now 70 years later ..)

SDM

But that was another time in the short history of recreational diving

Not sure if this would work for you, Last month I was in a Mud Run. During the run there are a lot of large puddles, 3-4 feet(yes feet) deep and a "Mud Run" which was like a 1/2 mile swim though 2 feet of mud and water. These sneakers did not have any noticeable water after 12 event water obstacles. Would not see why these would not work. I have dove on converse sneakers many times, and these will be better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YB4GRC6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Update.
I ordered a pair of Converse Chuck Taylor Neoprene Uppers from Nike on-line, the only place I could find them.
They arrived today, and look great! Nice heavy soles, heavy neoprene uppers. Now I just need to change out the black laces for white, for that true retro look.
I'll get to try them out next week.
Update Update.
They work well. I tried white laces, but ended up with orange to match my fins. All on the dive boat were impressed.
The only disadvantage is they are slower to get on/off than my old low-top TUSA booties. Oh, and they definitely take longer to dry.

Wear resistance, heat resistance, plasticity, and resistance to solvents, gasoline, alkali, and other aggressive substances are all characteristics that neoprene possesses. As a result, the material is used to make tourist and alloy boots, special protective boots for work in industrial workshops, fishing and hunting boots, slippers and anti-slip shoes for diving and surfing, orthopedic shoes, and artificial rubber inserts in everyday sneakers to strengthen the sock and protect against slush. However, because there is no air circulation in such shoes, feet sweat quickly and become tired. My yeezy boost 350 is one of my favorites. It's a pair of shoes that's both light and comfortable. Too bad there aren't any diving sneakers, lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom