Neopreme...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If Wocester is pronounced "Wooster," then shouldn't Rochester be pronounced "Rooster?" I'm just asking :)

As for my contribution to the natives not getting their own language right...
Realtor - folks, look at which side of the l the a is on.
worsh instead of wash
boral instead of boil
orll instead of oil
and my favorite - pepso mitol - yes, they're talking about the pink stuff for your tummy :)

-Frank

For obvious reasons many Canadians and Latin Americans get upset when U.S. citizens refer to themselves simply as "Americans".
I believe Canadians (and only Canadians) use the term "North American" to include themselves in a two-member group with their neighbour to the south, forgetting that geographically Mexico is also in North America.

That probably just upset about 80% of Scubaboard members. :wink:

Or maybe this should be in the Words, phrases and lies thread above - they are getting so similar...

scuba-punk:
If Wocester is pronounced "Wooster," then shouldn't Rochester be pronounced "Rooster?" I'm just asking :)
Yes Worcester is kind of wooster, wuster - who'd a thunk :wink:

Rochester is like Winchester, Win-ches-ter, Ro-ches-ter, the "ch" and single "c" makes all the difference.

For me, it is those who don't bother to learn or use your and you're correctly. Your is possessive (it means it belongs to you) you're is a contraction (it is short for you are). Why can't the newer generations seem to get it right?

Rich Hagelin

I have just moved to Austin, TX. The people here seem to have come up with their own pronucuation scheme just so that they can identify and belittle foreigners. A couple of quick ones:

Mueller road, locally pronounced "Miller."
Burnet road, locally pronounced "burn it."

I can't remember how our real estate agent pronounced "El Salido," but it took me a long time to figure out what she was talking about.

Back home (Colorado) Buena Vista is pronounced "Byuna Vista," and often shortened to "Byuny."

However, I confess to my shame that when I lived in Sacramento CA I fell on the wrong side of the Don Julio road arguement, until someone pointed out that the namesake was Italian, not Spanish

smay28:
Funniest one was a guy I worked with from New Jersey.
Had a daughter named.. Lisa..

Anyone want to take a shot at his pronunciation?
I'm from NJ, and I pronounce it "lee-sa", accent on the first syllable. We don't all sound like the cast of "The Sopranos". :crafty:

Originally Posted by smay28

Funniest one was a guy I worked with from New Jersey.
Had a daughter named.. Lisa..

Anyone want to take a shot at his pronunciation?
Er. I'm a Jersey girl, through and through, and I have no idea. How did he pronounce it? I can't think of any other way than how you'd normally say it.

It is buck naked, not "butt naked."
It is bupkiss, not "butt kiss."
And for all intents and purposes, there is nothing intensive about it.

And furthermore -- Today I used the word "bacchanalian" in a script to describe the scene in Cancun. Am I wrong here, people? It was called "too intellectual" and the word was changed to "hot."

Hot? ... Hot!?! And suddenly I'm Oscar Freakin' Wilde???

The dumbing down of America -- available on every channel.

What reminded me of this is the DIR/2004 DVD showed up today, and GI3 keeps saying neopreMe... driving me nuts.

In my experience, if Irvine says neopreme, then it's neopreme. Neoprene is for strokes.

MgicTwnger:
I'm from NJ, and I pronounce it "lee-sa", accent on the first syllable. We don't all sound like the cast of "The Sopranos". :crafty:

You nailed it.. I don't know where it comes from but he always referred to her as "Lee-Sir"..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom