Neopreme...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ever know someone who almost hit the "medium" in the center of the road with their car? Arrrrrrrrrrrgh! Of course, it would help them to "set" down and work out their "dilemnias", too.

My aunt often outlines various "skenarios" to consider, while my friend was concerned about blood "clods", recently.

Green_Manelishi:
We all understand the Rev'ren Jazzy .. iss jes dat he soun
like a dim-witted poverty pimp.

There's a couple of radio jocks here who have a comedy segment on their show called "What is Jesse Jackson Saying?".
They play a clip and have listeners call in with the translation. Winners get a fabulous prize. Southerners do the best. What's up with that part of the country anyway?

My dad taught high school English for 30 years. He always said, "people who don't read can't spell".

Neil

miketsp:
Just to throw in a bit of culture, there is a nice word play with the word often in the "Pirates of Penzance" by Gilbert & Sullivan.

GENERAL: Tell me, have you ever known what it is to be an
orphan?
PIRATES: (disgusted) Oh, dash it all!
KING: Here we are again!
GENERAL: I ask you, have you ever known what it is to be an
orphan?
KING: Often!
GENERAL: Yes, orphan. Have you ever known what it is to be one?
KING: I say, often.
ALL: (disgusted) Often, often, often. (Turning away)
GENERAL: I don't think we quite understand one another. I ask you, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan,
and you say "orphan". As I understand you, you are
merely repeating the word "orphan" to show that you
understand me.
KING: I didn't repeat the word often.
GENERAL: Pardon me, you did indeed.
KING: I only repeated it once.
GENERAL: True, but you repeated it.
KING: But not often.
GENERAL: Stop! I think I see where we are getting confused.
When you said "orphan", did you mean "orphan",a person
who has lost his parents, or "often", frequently?
KING: Ah! I beg pardon-- I see what you mean -- frequently.
GENERAL: Ah! you said "often", frequently.
KING: No, only once.
GENERAL: (irritated) Exactly-- you said "often", frequently,
only once.

:eyebrow:

It is, it is a glorious thing; to be a Pirate King!

smay28:
Okay, Here are my peeves... I can see a typo once in awhile when your brain is moving a little faster than your fingers, but I see these all too often.. .. ..

Then / Than... I see it screwed up all the time.

And in keeping with the "TH" thing,

They're / There / Their ..

Funniest one was a guy I worked with from New Jersey.
Had a daughter named.. Lisa..

Anyone want to take a shot at his pronunciation?

"Leezer"

Green_Manelishi:

??? Lysa Lyser Lyza Lyzer Leesa Leeser .... I give up :dontgetit

Ah, a thread I can sink my teeth into.
Illegal Use of Apostrophe always elicits a groan from me.
Seen just this morning on a sign outside a restaurant:

"We Have Crab's!"
You have crab's WHAT?

Oh, and someone at the vet's office told me to get him a "nozzle" to put on the dog so he wouldn't bite. :laugh:

neil:
There's a couple of radio jocks here who have a comedy segment on their show called "What is Jesse Jackson Saying?".
They play a clip and have listeners call in with the translation. Winners get a fabulous prize. Southerners do the best. What's up with that part of the country anyway?

My dad taught high school English for 30 years. He always said, "people who don't read can't spell".

Neil
We had a similar thing on a radio station down here for Ozzy Osbourne, however i could make it out every time knowing what midland accents sound like :wink:

BTW, herbs is pronounced with an h (Martha Stewart is correct), not erbs or erbal, and there certainly isnt a word erbalize!!!!

Oh i forgot one, who dropped the e in mobile, not pronounced like a "popular" oil company - Mobil, more like mo-bile (as in more bile please) :wink:

simbrooks:
:wink:
BTW, herbs is pronounced with an h (Martha Stewart is correct), not erbs or erbal, and there certainly isnt a word erbalize!!!!

My dictionary gives both pronunciations. Potayto, potahto. Tomaytoh, tomahto. Let's call the whole thing off.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom