Neopreme...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi:
And let us not forget "Hahvud Yahd", "dolluh", "pahk", "cah",
etc.

I was in Texas with my brother once, and a cowboy who overheard us talking asked if we were from Boston. When we told him we were, he explained that his cousin had gone to school there, and asked us to say, "Pahk the cah in Hahvid Yahd."

My brother looked at him deadpan, and replied, "Whattayou Retahdid? Ya can't pahk theah."

Fortunately, he thought it was as funny as we did.

Jersey:
A few from the right coast:

Arn = iron
Ack-a-mee = Acme
Picks-chore = picture
It-lee = Italy
Youse guys = you plural, in South Philly & The Sopranos
Al-blum = album
Idear = idea
Alot - thank you Jeff - strike the word(s) from the language!

One I am guilty of - wood-er = water (it's a Jersey thing. Gives me away every time)

Being from PA (12 years ago), you forgot "dgeet" (did you eat). And the response "no djew" (no, did you)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA this is fun.

My sister and I have a game that we play when my parents are visiting one of us, me sister lives in Georgia and I live in Hawaii.
We call each other on the phone and leave messages with the words my mom mispronounces, used in a sentence. My favorite word is "mennenstration". Say it out loud, it is another word for period.

I think US English is a perfect example of an oxymoron. :wink:

Bob3:
I hope the non-US folks aren't getting scared off by any of this; if its any consolation a lot of folks I know from Europe have/use better english than lotsa folks here in the US. :wink:
Bob, these same Euros live closer to the source of the unadulterated English language and to the original source of that and most modern western languages - that big ocean out there must have diluted the English language as the first settlers came over here :wink:

Here's one my grandfather always did - it used to seem so weird to me when I was a kid, but when he'd pick up a ringing phone to answer it, he'd say "Ye-llow". I never understood why he would answer the phone with a color, and then why he wouldn't choose a prettier one (like blue, or red. Why yellow?).

Of course, after he passed away, I kinda missed it when I called my grandmother and all I got was a normal "hello". I guess that the different accents and idiosyncrasies aren't so bad. But, I do agree with the your/you're and to/too one - those are just ignorant.

This is ALLLL my fault!!!
Mea culpa !!!
I swear to God that I didn't mean for it to go this far !!!
I never knew it would end up like this !!!

yew no whut.... iz kinduh putt awf bi awl of thias hure tawlk. aial hav yew awl no. HUUKED AWN FAWNIKX WURKED FUR ME!

Bob3:
I hope the non-US folks aren't getting scared off by any of this; if its any consolation a lot of folks I know from Europe have/use better english than lotsa folks here in the US. :wink:

That's why I speak SoCal, dude.

K

Im not shore this feets in poifictly butt,

one that gets my wife's hackles up is calling aluminum foil, tin foil. There is no tin in aluminum foil. I was at the Children's Festival in Vancouver in May and there was a tent by Alcan, with lots of aluminum products in it. I heard a couple of parents say, "cool, tin foil, let's go have a look".

Bill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom