Neopreme...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about ph to f transliterations, thinking sulphate to sulfate, in this language anyway - sorry doing contamination analyses at the moment and i keep forgeting to translate to US English. :wink:

alaity47:
Wow, I never realized there were so many other language nitpickers out there! (Not that I'm complaining)

Anyone read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" yet? Very cute book. Lots of griping about apostrophes.

Along with the liberry/library one: I had a friend who always used to say "birfday" instead of "birthday." I have no idea why; none of her other th's had mutated to f's....

My Dad refused to eat anywhere that served "fish~n~chips"

Has your dad ever been to Wet N Wild??

LeFlaneur:
While we're at it... what is this sudden affection for the simple little apostrophe?

It seemed to know its place for years but suddenly it is cropping up like worms after a summer shower. What is so hard about understanding the difference between possessive and plural?

Where do those apostrophes come from? I think they have all been stolen from the word you're, which people can't seem to handle either.

Your taking this to seriously. :wink: Whats the big deal about a missplaced catastrophe. :eyebrow:

Green_Manelishi:
Your taking this to seriously. :wink: Whats the big deal about a missplaced catastrophe. :eyebrow:

how about to and too???!!!! AUGGHHH

Pay no attention, LeFlaneur, you rock.

Another one: Valentines Day butchered to Valemtimes or Valentimes.

K

Around here (Ontario, Canada) we get:

Traw/Trawna = Toronto. Say it out loud - the Traw Maple Leafs.
Skatchwan - Home of the Skatchwan Roughriders.
Days of the week ending in ee. As in Mundee, Tuesdee, Wensdee...
Febyooary. You know, the month with Valentine's Day?

My city, Kitchener, is an old German community, and like many Anglo-Canadian cities, has many streets named after English towns and villages. We have a Weber street (pronounced Wee-ber), a Joseph Schoerg Cr., a Gloucester (Glauw-ster), Wabanaki Drive and a Woolwich (Wool-ich.)

I always laugh when i hear Americans trying to say a shire name, like Gloucestershire - more like glow-cest-eshester-shire and Worcestshire (as in the sauce too) war-cest-eshester-shire. Derby is pronounced Darby, not with an 'e'. These i noticed back in the UK. :wink:

simbrooks:
I always laugh when i hear Americans trying to say a shire name, like Gloucestershire - more like glow-cest-eshester-shire and Worcestshire (as in the sauce too) war-cest-eshester-shire. Derby is pronounced Darby, not with an 'e'. These i noticed back in the UK. :wink:

Cripes, it's even worse in central MA.

Worcester = "War-chester", "Woosta" or "Wista"

Leicester = "Lestuh"

And let us not forget "Hahvud Yahd", "dolluh", "pahk", "cah",
etc.

Mo2vation:
Another one: Valentines Day butchered to Valemtimes or Valentimes.

K

Guilty as charged :crafty:

paul

simbrooks:
...the word that really has always gotten on my nerves is axe (ask)...

I can't help it, really!

By the time I slow down enough to squeeze the word out properly, you will have forgotten what I was talking about in the first place.

Guess I'll just have to "inquire" from now on. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom