Nekton Pilot, Southern Bahamas Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
This cruise sailed on August 9th 2008 and went to Cay Sal Bank and Medio Reef in the Bahama Islands.

The Nekton live aboard vessels do not look like any other. They look more like a small production platform from the outside and on the inside they are much more utilitarian. The feel of a private yacht is definitely not present and maintenance of cosmetic items could be improved. However, the unique design results in a bunch of usable space. There is no marine claustrophobia. There are large windows in each cabin. Their bunks have great mattresses. I can tell you on some other boats my butt would hit the bottom of the bunk every time the boat went over a wave. The boat is built vertically, so there is more stair climbing than usual.

Upon arriving in Ft. Lauderdale we were taken to an area with several bars and restaurants and told to get dinner and await pickup at 7:00 PM. Fortunately, prices in the area were an outright bargain. Three mixed drinks for $7.

On the crossing to Cat Caye the catamaran design did its thing. I did not take anything for seasickness and was just fine. Usually the first night out messes with me. However, some folks get seasick just looking at the ocean, but not too many.

At Cat Caye we tied up and did our first dive on Sunday morning. There was a moderate current at the beginning which quickly turned into a ripping current. A couple of divers had problems and my buddy and I were out of the water in 35 minutes. The captain wanted to move the boat but could not because Bahamas immigration had a problem with one of the passengers that took 2 hours to resolve. That cost us the second morning dive. The afternoon dive had a strong, but not quite as wicked current and that was over after about 40 minutes.

Despite the fact that the first day of diving was pretty much a disaster, no one felt like complaining. That evening bunches of us sat around in a circle on the top deck cracking jokes and drinking the alcoholic beverages we had purchased that evening before departing. Nekton does not supply alcohol or carbonated drinks, but allows unlimited BYOB. The dinner was great. Roast pork loin, baked onions, sweet potatoes, salad, and some other stuff. That evening we applauded the chef, Kim, and would do so every other night. I knew that day the cruise would be wonderful because all the divers had such a good attitude.

more to come...

One of the interesting features of Nekton diving is they supply low pressure steel 95's. These tanks are about 6 lbs more negative than a standard aluminum 80 and hold a lot of air. I dove with one pound attached to the belt of my Transpac II. They also play satellite radio on the dive deck so you get to gear up to the sound of classic rock and oldies, very nice.

On Monday we dove Medio Reef. This reef is a good 30 miles from land. The coral is in exceptional shape due to the lack of run off and generally light diving pressure. That day I did 5 dives with a total bottom time of 4:55. The night dive was particularly nice, starting with a lionfish and several octopus. During the day I saw a solo nurse shark on the sand and several turtles. Tuesday we dove different sites at Medio. Visibility varied from 30 to 80 feet. It was never dull. The sites on Tuesday tended to lack shallow areas and dives towards the end of the day were bottom time limited.

Wednesday and Thursday were spent diving three different blue holes at Cay Sal Bank. The shallow part of the blue holes is a like a wall dive. Go deeper and things get a bit spooky. The blue holes start at very shallow depths, 25 to 35 feet, so very long dives are possible. The third hole, Big Hole, is "shark infested". During the afternoon dive the crew put out a frozen fish. Several sharks went into a frenzy and I was charged by one which turned away at the last moment. During a long hang on the bar the sharks continued to provide a show. Visibility varied from 30 to 60 feet around Cay Sal. I did several deep tours of the blue holes with my buddy. Usually there were no other divers around, and the desolation was completely awesome.

Friday we were at Bimini. I only did the AM dives due to no fly concerns. Had I realized they planned a full day of diving I would have scheduled a later flight home. On the second dive I saw 5 scorpion fish, a record for me. In the afternoon the other divers found a seahorse and my roommate, Marvin, took a totally amazing picture of it. Marvin is a professional photographer and he took a lot of great pictures.

Credit is also due to my buddy, Deborah. She is a teacher in real life. The lady never made any diving mistakes and was totally fearless.

Scubaboard member Andy G and his wife were on board, and frequently cracked us up with their lively sense of humor.

The crew was also terrific. Nearly all were either divemasters or instructors, and all were helpful and efficient.

Anyway, that was my third Nekton cruise, and not my last.

Thanks for sharing! I'll be doing my first liveaboard ever with them next month (NW Bahamas itinerary) so I especially appreciated your impressions of the boat itself.

Thanks for ther Report, My buddy and I are on the Aug 30 trip to the Cay Sal Bank also. Definitly bringing the video camera for the sharks. Now I'm just hoping the weather cooperates and nothing comes across the ocean to spoil the week.

By the way what was the water temp. Debating on my 3 shorty or if I need to drag my 5 full suit along?

By the way what was the water temp. Debating on my 3 shorty or if I need to drag my 5 full suit along?

Water temp was generally warm, 84F. Some thermoclines on deep dives in the blue holes. Most divers used skins, the crew usually just wore bathing suits.

Water temp was generally warm, 84F. Some thermoclines on deep dives in the blue holes. Most divers used skins, the crew usually just wore bathing suits.

OK, 3mm shorty it is. 11 days and counting:D

Let me try to get a photo or two in here:

2778391512_e8a8eb21db_o.jpg

2777535699_c68dbbac8f_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom