Nekton Belize a big disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmmm... I don't have a dog in this fight....

but I noticed this above poster joined today, this is their first post, and they are here to attack someone else for a trip report.

Seems like to me that this is a 'sock puppet' account for someone who doesn't have the balls to speak for themself.

anyone else notice this?

You are spot on on this one.

Worst possible advertising for Nekton!

Thanks for planning to post a report, Perry. I hope lemurs2's experience was an isolated incident. We've done 3 cruises with Nekton and all were very good to excellent.

Sorry. Just too risky and expensive. And their telephone response to questions is rude and downright unfriendly. "Ask him yourself". Wow. There are others to choose from.

I have done the Belize itinerary twice in the past couple of years and the Cayman's once. All three were excellent. One trip with Nelson as Captain and two with Ephy. Things can go downhill in a hurry with a new Captain however. Will want to hear from those that do the latest itinerary - this could be a one off problem. Know I would not be happy if departure was delayed by an inspection. Don't care who created the problem, would just want it fixed and would want some kind of compensation for the missed dives.

Too bad about the vis - that has not been my experience in Belize.

I do worry about the front office staff leaving and then no Ephy on the Pilot - could be a problem or just coincidence. Lets hope for coincidence and that Nekton continues to be a great company to dive with. It has in the past.

I just hope they get a good and regular captain for the Pilot. Ephey leaving this summer was a blow to them (and me!) I'm sure. The captain makes all the difference in the world and I know that whenever there have been minor problems on our trips on the Pilot, I've always felt confident I could go to Ephey and it would be taken care of (and it always has been).

I'm a big fan of Nekton's and have always looked to them first for liveaboard trips in the Caribbean. However, if we start seeing a regular stream of reviews and experiences like Lemurs2 I may have to rethink that. Heck, we were considering changing our plans around for spring 2009 to catch one of the Pilot's last Belize cruises since we loved our Belize trip with them 2 years ago so much. Now wait and see takes on more than a financial view....

When did Captain Ephey go? And where did he go? It sounds to me like the entire crew on that boat has changed for the worse since I was on it last year. And they were rude on the phones? They sure better get Pam a good replacement fast.

I was in love with their operation from my personal experience, but if the crew and the sales people aren't the same, I can't give it my recommendation anymore. Looking forward to seeing how things turn out.

Ephey actually got off the boat with us in July. He was going on his regular vacation and spending it with his mom who isn't well. Once he got to his mom, he decided he needed to stay closer to her and took a job running supply boats out to the oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. He loves the Pilot and takes a lot of pride and ownership in her, so it wasn't an easy decision for him to leave, but everyone agrees it was the right decision.

I agree with Jason, the "rude on the phone" thing really bothers me too....that's just not the Nekton I've always known.

Waiting to see and make any opinion....

I helped many (if not most of you) book your Nekton trips and I am so sorry to hear of these problems. I always took pride in giving great customer service when I was there. I think you are entitled to expect a great deal from a company that gets so many of your hard earned dollars and hopefully Nekton will step up to the plate and get you some answers and some satisfaction.

I think this would be a great opportunity to become a better informed consumer of dive travel and realize that there are important considerations when booking with any dive travel company. I can address the liveaboard industry specifically since that is where my experience lies.

The most important thing when you go on a liveaboard is your safety. That really fun time you are having turns bad really quick when there is an accident and someone is hurt or dies. Your point person in these situations is your captain and you want a captain that has experience and good judgement. A good captain can deal with and adjust for shortcomings in a particular boat. He knows the boats' idiosyncracies and how to make things work when they break. You would hope that your captain has experience in the area where you are travelling. For example, if things "went to hell in a handbasket" I would want someone like Captain Ephey or Captain Nelson as my captain - I have the belief they could get me home safely and would never put me in harm's way. I don't believe there was anyone with the amount of experience as Ephey in the liveaboard industry and he will be sorely missed and leaves a huge hole in the organization. I have not heard that Nelson has left, he was still working for them when I left and again, he is a fantastic captain. He also has the ability to inspire his crew and train them up to become the best they can be. If he were to leave that would be another huge hole in the organization.

Please remember that you are ultimately responsible for your safety and you need to gather whatever information about a company, a boat, a captain and crew you need to make an intelligent decision about booking a safe dive trip. I believe you are entitled to have your questions answered especially when it comes to your safety. That goes for Nekton or any other liveaboard company. My personal opinion is that I would steer clear of any company that would not or could not answer my (reasonable) questions.

Again, I'm so sorry for the recent experiences some of you have had with the office staff and for those that had less than satisfactory experiences on your recent trips.

Pam

I am the John mentioned in the posting and was the senior divemaster on the cruise mentioned.

I first want to make clear that I do not speak for Nekton (which I am proud to have worked with for 11 months).

The inspection that took place in Belize that held up the charter was for sure a complete surprise, to us as a crew and I am sure the information was not withheld by the main office and was a surprise to them as well.

As far as the frozen lunch on Sunday...I will take full responsibilty as I was the one who organized that days activities and did not foresee the lunch meat not defrosting by noon time.

The visibility of course is out of our control.

Thats all.........

Johnnydiver

When you're new to the lifestyle of diving and liveaboards, and have your first experience with a company, and that first experience is a great experience.

Then when something changes, you try to rely upon your own knowledge base and experiences to dictate what's considered reasonable business practices.

However, there is always a slight chance that this new experience requires a different approach. It's during that time when you need someone to step up and bring a little clarity of what should be expected so you can get your bearings.

Pam, you stepped to the plate and provided the information we needed when we needed it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

Pam, there's one thing we know for sure, you are truly an asset.

Personally, I didn't think it unreasonable for me to receive what I've come to expect from the front office staff.

In all fairness maybe the culture you've guys created and left behind will eventually overtake the new folks and they'll come around. However there
had better be a quick study.

It's normative for companies to have times of adjustments and change. I think we all understand that.

But when the personnel that provide the capital and set the standard leave, and/or you can't locate those who do, that indicates there may be more here than meets the eye..

Pam you've set a standard. You'd be surprised at the comments I've heard from people who used to say, "from the front office to the crew it's a great operation."

If that changes, then I'm truly going to be saddened because I loved my first Nekton experience, and I looked forward to MANY more in the next couple of years.

You're right about one thing, if Capt. Nelson leaves then it doesn't bode well. But, we will have to wait and see about all of this.

I want to stay optimistic that NC Diver will allay all our concerns with his Belize report in a week or so, and that I'll be able to find Capt. Nelson in December.

You certainly shouldn't have to feel as if you need to apologize for these guys. You aren't part of their problem.

I seriously doubt that there would even be a problem if you were still there.

Don't forget to let us know where you're planting your feet these days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom