Negligent LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I would have been pretty pissed at the LDS for not doing a proper job with it in the first place, especially if it made me unable to make a dive.
Next person I would be pissed at would be myself for not making sure before I left the shop that it was in order or at the very least before I planned to dive with it.
Yeap, the LDS should have done a better job and yeap, you should make sure you have all your gear in working order before taking it to the dive site.
To err is human tho, so I guess if it was far enough from me to the LDS to calm down by the time I got there, Id ask them to redo the service (at no cost for me, of course) and see if they got it right the 2nd time..

I know your anger cause it is negligent. However I would not let it go without telling them that they f'ed up and it caused a situation. They may have messed up, and it was good that it was caught but it would only benefit their future customers if you alert them to it so that they can provide better QA in the future so that things like this don't happen. Imagine if someone you know gets his gear serviced and something happens to him. I would let them know that they were careless and you are not satisfied and will not be returning to them but you wanted to let them know why.

Just my thoughts...

RonFrank:
People make mistakes. In this case it's obvious that the reg was not bench tested. I would give my LDS a chance to explain however before condemning them.

Nonsense. Returning a non functioning reg is not something you can explain away. This kind of carelessness can kill people. In fact, if they had been a bit less negligent, the problem might not have shown up until 90 ft. Then what?

We talk about supporting our LDS, but can't trust them enough to do service?

Many less-experienced divers (and even many experienced divers) are not equipment saavy and don't really have training in inspection of regs, etc. So often we emphasize that people should not try to service their own regs - leave it to the LDS/dealer to make adjustments, etc. Accordingly this results in somewhat of an ignorance as to proper adjustments and connections of gear. I'm not saying this is ok, but our basic scuba training does not really cover much, if anything, in the way of inspecting regs.

I think a paying customer has the right to expect his gear to function properly after service. After all, that is why we get it serviced..

Yep, I'm not exactly a newbie, but I get all my regs serviced - my main reg every year, the other two alternating years with bench tests other years. Things I want to be totally dependable are my regs and my BC, but then I check all my gear closely when I pack for a trip, i.e. silicone on lights and housings, etc.

I certainly test my regs on a tank when I pick one up - yesterday just for replacing a mouthpiece and adjustment on the alternate second, and I'd be pissed if one failed my test.

I'd also feel lacking if I didn't test at the LDS.

if you seriously believe it constitutes negligence on a customer's part not to check if a professional did his/her job right we have truly come to a very sad state of affairs and you have bought into it by blaming the customer. I have a hard time believing that a court or a jury of your peers would be this generous with the dive shop had they to contemplate a diver's death or serious injury under the circumstances described.
the average diver has absolutely no training that would enable him to ascertain if the service has been carried out correctly. furthermore, hooking a reg up to a tank at the LDS does not tell you much no to mention that more than a few dive shops do not exactly encourage this and act rather annoyed.
therefore, while it may be wise to double check if you know what you ought to be looking for it seems a bit far fetched to call the customer negligent if he places his trust in a professional (as we all do numerous times every day).

docmartin:
if you seriously believe it constitutes negligence on a customer's part not to check if a professional did his/her job right we have truly come to a very sad state of affairs and you have bought into it by blaming the customer. I have a hard time believing that a court or a jury of your peers would be this generous with the dive shop had they to contemplate a diver's death or serious injury under the circumstances described.
the average diver has absolutely no training that would enable him to ascertain if the service has been carried out correctly. furthermore, hooking a reg up to a tank at the LDS does not tell you much no to mention that more than a few dive shops do not exactly encourage this and act rather annoyed.
therefore, while it may be wise to double check if you know what you ought to be looking for it seems a bit far fetched to call the customer negligent if he places his trust in a professional (as we all do numerous times every day).
You dont exactly have to be a rocket scientist to connect your reg to a tank, turn the tank on and see if there is obvious leakage and if the regulator breathe?

Obviously a service done a professional should be properly done, but as a diver, its also partially your own responsibility that your equipment is working.
Do you not give your regs a quick inspection and test them before jumping into the water? Do you not check that your BCD dont have obvious defects?
I know I do, and I know its part of the pre-dive routines taught in OW..
If you rent a car, do you not check if its obvious damage and issues with it before you drive out of the lot?

I double check my physician's work, and he's highly regarded as a good one. Never let me down. But I double check it.

I have a good pharmacist, but I check my meds before I leave, and once refused an order they screwed up.

It's patient/customer awareness, and in diving - if we don't want to let the Feds in regulating us, we'd better keep our industry clean.

thanks

I"ll take this one step further...

I'm a sky diver.

1x per year you need to have your reserve and harness inspected by a FAA licensed rigger.

Now, I pay for my inspection, get the rig.. I'm trusting my life that this person had performed the job correctly. or do you suggest I should "test" my reserve?

ANY work performed on a life safety device should be ready to go when it is returned to it's owner.

sure the owner should test it, but it damn well better work, thats what the shop was paid to do.

Back
Top Bottom