Needing New wetsuit...3mil...Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The time has come for me to get a new wetsuit. I'm looking at a 3mil. Over the past year I've lost some 50 pounds and my 5mil (that I wore only once) doesn't fit, way too loose. My old NeoSport 3/2 has seen better days (6 years old).

So now that I can fit into a normal sized wetsuit again, do you think that $220.00 would get me into a good 3mil with the following features:

Stretch
Wrist and Ankle seals
Neck seal
some type of seal against the back zipper

I haven't looked at wetsuits in so long I don't even know where to begin.

BTW, my drysuit has never felt better on me. It is now a trashbag for sure!!:D

I was thinking: Pinnacle Elastoprene, Scubapro Everflex, Bare, Xcel

Thanks,
J:

Have you looked at Fourth Element Thermocline? I am also thinking about a new suit and the Fourth Element thing claims to give 3 mils of protection with zero change in bouyancy - although it sounds more like a dive skin then a suit.

I wonder how good it actually is.

Have you looked at Fourth Element Thermocline? I am also thinking about a new suit and the Fourth Element thing claims to give 3 mils of protection with zero change in bouyancy - although it sounds more like a dive skin then a suit.

I wonder how good it actually is.

I saw it in person, and I'll say two things:

1. It probably works
  2. It probably doesn't work as well as they say it does.
The reason it's neutrally buoyant is because it's fabric and becomes saturated with water. This makes it neutral. It also makes it colder than a good wetsuit.

OTOH, it doesn't compress underwater, so it's probably warmer on a deep dive than a similar wetsuit.

All things considered, I probably won't buy one.

Terry

Okay, scratch Scubapro and Xcel off the list. Way too expensive!

Looks like a Pinnacle Elastoprine for me and from what I've read it's a great suit.

Jeremy

Why spend that much money? A 3 mm suit will not be that warm, even with some fancy seals. If the suit needs to be warm, get a 5 mm suit (still less than $200) or if it does not need to be warm then get a 3 mm jumpsuit for like $160 or so.

Hi Jeremy,

I have been diving with a Pinnacle Elastoprine once or twice a week for about 5 years and love the suit. It is my understanding that they have shifted production from the Philippines to China since I bought mine and that the China suits tend to run smaller. When I wear this one out, and it is going still going strong, I plan to get another one to replace it.

Since my Henderson Neosport 7mm fell apart within 40 dives, I've been using my very old (8 years?) Tilos 3/2mm. A little chilly in 55-60 F water, but easy to don (even without ankle zippers) and warm enough for my diving at this point. Despite its age, the Tilos still looks practically new (I only wear it spring to fall) while the Neosport... well, what can I say other than that it split across the rear after about 30 dives.

Thanks everyone. I dropped by a shop that I normally don't go by and they had Pinnicle Breaker 3mm that they were closing out as they were "last years model" or something. Anyway, I picked up a size L (fit really well) for $159.00. I'm looking forward to trying this out really soon.

Thanks,
J:

Why spend that much money? A 3 mm suit will not be that warm, even with some fancy seals. If the suit needs to be warm, get a 5 mm suit (still less than $200) or if it does not need to be warm then get a 3 mm jumpsuit for like $160 or so.

Thanks DumsterDiver, I got a Pinnacle 3mm Breaker for $159. And if I need more than a 3mm, then the drysuit is comming out for the dive!

J:

If you have not used that Pinnacle, consider taking it back. My buddy and I each got the Breaker suit. The neoprene thinned out before we got 100 dives on them. The 3mm now measures 2mm. We were getting cold on spring dives that did not used to be cold.

Although it still looks perfect, I had to get a new suit this week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom