Needed for Cavern??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnunn04

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I did a quick search and didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so excuse me if this has already been asked....

As I purchase my gear, I have decided that a cavern course is as advanced as I desire to go - no caves for me. With that in mind, what equipment will I need to purchase above the basic open water gear.

I don't want to get into the bc/wing debate, but "extra" items such as reels, additional lights, etc so I can plan my budget accordingly.

Thanks in advance!!

Well, if you're interested in the minimum, it would be 2 lights, a longhose, and a 150' reel.

However, the "cavern" environment is not a joke, and the minimum isn't something I recommend. I would invest in proper fins (jets or something similar), a backplate and wing (provides the best in terms of trim, weight distribution, mounting of lights, etc) and a bungee'd backup/ longhose with a simple spg. This is all stuff you can use in OW, cavern, cave, wreck, you name it.

A longhose is not even required at the Cavern level ,only "recommended". I suppose the rationale is that its not needed as you should always be able to swim side by side. (as per NACD cavern/cave diver workbook)

My personal opinion is that going into any overhead without a long hose is just dumb.

No additional equipment beyond that required for Open Water Diver is required. Two lights are strongly recommended. Some individual instructors have been known to go above and beyond this standard, call ahead to get details, many will provide the add gear (sometimes at additional cost) if they have chosen to exceed basic standards.

Have a great time. Get the gear that is the most comfortable and makes best sense to you.....

Safe diving....

I suppose it depends on the agency, then. I just looked up a few, and each one is slightly different. I took cavern through NAUI about 6 years ago, and I had to have a longhose and two lights. YMMV...but it shouldn't.

For Cavern I needed:
-twin cylinders minimum capacity 2200L, could be independent or manifold
-long hose (2m/7')
-fins with spring straps or otherwise taped up
-mask had to use those velcro mask straps or be taped
-one primary and two backup lights - can light on goodman handle was highly recommended
-wetnotes or slate/pencil
-reel with 100m/300' of line (was supplied by instructor if you did not have your own)
-exposure suit suitable for down to 10C/50F (so, drysuits were highly recommended)

I borrowed twinset, can light and reel for the course in case I didn't like that type of diving. The rest I had already. I recommend that if you want to see what it is like before putting down a bunch of money for equipment.

I hear some places don't require twins... which I think is stupid for overhead environment.

My NSS-CDS Cavern could have been done without 7' alternate IIRC, but not Intro to Cave, so my Instructor rented me a 7' alternate (w/first stage) for both classes. Twins were not required; I rented steel 120's with Y-valves. Can lights were not required even for Intro, just adequate primary and back ups. Rented the reels. Water temps were balmy 68 degrees F. Straps were electrical tapped, cause they fell apart other wise.

For Cavern I needed:
-long hose (2m/7')
-fins with spring straps or otherwise taped up
-mask had to use those velcro mask straps or be taped
-one primary and two backup lights - can light on goodman handle was highly recommended
-wetnotes or slate/pencil
-reel with 100m/300' of line (was supplied by instructor if you did not have your own)
-exposure suit suitable for down to 10C/50F (so, drysuits were highly recommended)

I borrowed twinset, can light and reel for the course in case I didn't like that type of diving. The rest I had already. I recommend that if you want to see what it is like before putting down a bunch of money for equipment.

I hear some places don't require twins... which I think is stupid for overhead environment.

Which agency required this? Alot of the instructors I know, won't ALLOW you to dive doubles even in an Intro course. As far as a primary light and two backup lights... In cavern, your PRIMARY light is the sun for a total of three lights.

she's australian, and their cavern seems a bit more involved than ours.

For Cavern I needed:
-long hose (2m/7')

Which agency required this? Alot of the instructors I know, won't ALLOW you to dive doubles even in an Intro course.

Kind of funny that some places require doubles and others forbid them.

They can't both be correct :D

Back
Top Bottom