Need to visually inspect pony after flying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

Thinking about getting a pony, but wondering whether I will have to pay for having the bottle visually inspected and reassembled each time I fly somewhere because the valve will have to be removed for air travel. Also, is this something I can do myself or should I have the valve reinstalled by the LDS at the location I'll be diving at?

Just screw the valve back on and ask the resort dive center to please fill it. I'll bet they won't feel the need to take more of your money for an unnecessary visual.

In 2003 I went to Bonaire and Toucan Divers didn't require a visual of my al30. They were happy to fill it after checking to make sure it was up to date.

Dave C

But, yes you may have to have a viz. done just depends.If they say you do do not bother arguing and pay the $$$.

We avoid any problem on both ends by bringing our own whip to fill from, but no one in the Carrebean has ever asked for VIP. I am sure if I brought an empty tank to my LDS that they would insist on a VIP.

I brought my own whip each time, but the two places I've been to filled the tank without a vip. If they didn't, I would have filled it from my tank.

Why not just rent one rather than dealing with the hassel of taking it along..and dealing with TSA. As for needing a vis, it's not likely anyone will even notice it is empty as long as you don't tell them. Honestly, has anyone ever seen a dive shop actually check the air pressure in an "empty" tank before filling it? As long as the vis and hydro are good, ask to have it filled and don't volunteer any unnecessary information.....Don't ask, don't tell.

Visual inspections are only required by law only at the time of req qual. (aka hydro). The rest of the time it is under an industry standard (and as some would say a loose industry standard). A savvy resort would take a peek and fill it for free.

If you want to transport a cylinder:

1) Get a cylinder plug
2) Drain the cylinder
3) Remove valve and replace with the plug
4) Get a copy of the TSA rules.
5) At destination - reverse process
6) Let the shop know why it is empty.

It all depends on the shop. A whip is the best way to make sure you won't have to pay for a vis everytime you take the valve off. Do yourself a favor and make sure the O-ring is in good shape and don't crank the crap out of the valve when you put it back on. As tight as you can get it with your hands is fine. You might want to put a slight turn on it with a wrench. If you have any doubts, pay for a vis - just keep in mind that some shop monkeys can barely tie their own shoes...

If you want to transport a cylinder:
1) Get a cylinder plug
2) Drain the cylinder
3) Remove valve and replace with the plug
4) Get a copy of the TSA rules.
5) At destination - reverse process
6) Let the shop know why it is empty.
YES! The plug keeps debris out of the tank during transit, the explanantion will work for any reasonable fill operation. Herman makes a good point, as well. Most shops do not check pre-fill pressures as carefully as they should, and it may not be an issue.

You can't plug it; as I recall the TSA bulletin which is not handy right now. TSA wants to be able to see inside. I would just use some clear packing tape over the opening to keep clothes lint etc. out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom