Need to cut the cord FIOS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So my antenna picked up a few local stations with a very good picture. Unfortunately, it did not see my local NYC stations 58.4 miles away, so I ordered a booster to add to the antenna. Lets see if that'll do the trick? The antenna is supposed to be good for 60 plus miles.

I'll report back once I receive the amplifier.

OK, this gets messy. When you said you lived in New York City, I assumed you lived in Manhattan, I guess. If you’re 60 miles away, things get challenging.

First of all, alignment matters: even just a few degrees off of the station can make a huge difference in reception. Make sure your pointed directly at the transmitter. Use the FCC HD TV look up website: it will tell you the exact compass bearing.

Also, while you’re on that website, pay attention to whether they are UHF or VHF stations. VHF stations used to be the good ones back in the analog days (channels 2-13). Unfortunately, almost all of the HD TV stations have moved to UHF, and a lot of antennas don’t even bother to receive VHF signals. Also, very, very few amplifiers will amplify VHF stations: they’ll get filtered right out. Completely. So if you’re trying to tune in a VHF station, there’s a high degree of likelihood either your antenna or your amplifier will block their signal, not receive/amplify it.

I had similar problems: I’m 20+ miles from the transmitter, and our local Fox affiliate is VHF: there’s a reason I know all of this. :) I ended up going with this antenna in my attic: EZ-HD TV Antenna

I’m using it to supply two different televisions with nothing more than a splitter. So despite the fact that it’s inside my wooden attic, with 70+ feet of coax in several separate pieces between it and the nearest television, and after splitting it for two televisions, I have strong signal for all of my channels. The antenna is worth every penny if you have a place to put it. It was the fourth antenna I bought, and the first one to be able to get all of my stations. For you, with TV stations 60 miles away, you may need that antennas big brother, the HD stacker. browse the website and you’ll find all the details you need.

ETA: Amazon listings for antenna is a cesspool. There’s very little guarantee that the antenna will do what it actually says it’s supposed to do. (That’s part of the reason why I ended up buying several of them. That, and I kept trying to buy cheap indoor ones: I was only 20 miles away!) Nowhere is that worse than in handling VHF. They’ll list it in the description, but the antenna or amplifier simply cannot do it. The shape of antenna for VHF is completely different, and the amplifier needs a completely separate RF section to do it. Unless you’re paying a decent price from a decent vendor, it’s very unlikely. Think back to old fashion rabbit ears: they had two long rods, and a loop in the middle. The long rods were for VHF, the loop in the middle was for UHF. VHF has a longer wavelength, which means it goes through obstacles better and longer range with less power, but you need a longer antenna to receive it. If your antenna doesn’t have any metal elements longer than 12 inches, it’s not a VHF antenna.

@flyboy08 Are you 60 miles away from NYC? There are dozens of HD channels within 3 miles of Manhattan. Confused?

I use this one in NJ - get dozens of channels I never watch.

Screenshot 2021-02-15 123940.png

Damn, you guys are paying crazy money for TV/internet over there.

OK, this gets messy. When you said you lived in New York City, I assumed you lived in Manhattan, I guess. If you’re 60 miles away, things get challenging.

First of all, alignment matters: even just a few degrees off of the station can make a huge difference in reception. Make sure your pointed directly at the transmitter. Use the FCC HD TV look up website: it will tell you the exact compass bearing.

Also, while you’re on that website, pay attention to whether they are UHF or VHF stations. VHF stations used to be the good ones back in the analog days (channels 2-13). Unfortunately, almost all of the HD TV stations have moved to UHF, and a lot of antennas don’t even bother to receive VHF signals. Also, very, very few amplifiers will amplify VHF stations: they’ll get filtered right out. Completely. So if you’re trying to tune in a VHF station, there’s a high degree of likelihood either your antenna or your amplifier will block their signal, not receive/amplify it.

I had similar problems: I’m 20+ miles from the transmitter, and our local Fox affiliate is VHF: there’s a reason I know all of this. :) I ended up going with this antenna in my attic: EZ-HD TV Antenna

I’m using it to supply two different televisions with nothing more than a splitter. So despite the fact that it’s inside my wooden attic, with 70+ feet of coax in several separate pieces between it and the nearest television, and after splitting it for two televisions, I have strong signal for all of my channels. The antenna is worth every penny if you have a place to put it. It was the fourth antenna I bought, and the first one to be able to get all of my stations. For you, with TV stations 60 miles away, you may need that antennas big brother, the HD stacker. browse the website and you’ll find all the details you need.

ETA: Amazon listings for antenna is a cesspool. There’s very little guarantee that the antenna will do what it actually says it’s supposed to do. (That’s part of the reason why I ended up buying several of them. That, and I kept trying to buy cheap indoor ones: I was only 20 miles away!) Nowhere is that worse than in handling VHF. They’ll list it in the description, but the antenna or amplifier simply cannot do it. The shape of antenna for VHF is completely different, and the amplifier needs a completely separate RF section to do it. Unless you’re paying a decent price from a decent vendor, it’s very unlikely. Think back to old fashion rabbit ears: they had two long rods, and a loop in the middle. The long rods were for VHF, the loop in the middle was for UHF. VHF has a longer wavelength, which means it goes through obstacles better and longer range with less power, but you need a longer antenna to receive it. If your antenna doesn’t have any metal elements longer than 12 inches, it’s not a VHF antenna.
Good stuff, thanks! Yes, I'm in the trial and error stages at the moment. If the amplifier doesnt work, I'll return the antenna and looks elsewhere and start from scratch..

FIOS is great, just too damn expensive! Have had them for over a decade now. I'll keep their internet most likely.

So my antenna picked up a few local stations with a very good picture. Unfortunately, it did not see my local NYC stations 58.4 miles away, so I ordered a booster to add to the antenna. Lets see if that'll do the trick? The antenna is supposed to be good for 60 plus miles.

I'll report back once I receive the amplifier.

May I assume you moved the antenna around? Mine actually lays on the floor in a corner of my living room. Best reception that way. :D

I don’t get CBS, but I don’t watch it so it doesn’t bother me.

May I assume you moved the antenna around? Mine actually lays on the floor in a corner of my living room. Best reception that way. :D

I don’t get CBS, but I don’t watch it so it doesn’t bother me.
We did, but the Antenna support guru told me that the signal where I am is too weak and suggested an amplifier...I will try placing it outside and face it at the correct heading once received.

I will report back!

We are currently on Spectrum, $15 a month for internet. It's not the 100 mbs but it works well with our smarter than me tv. All kinds of streaming channels and for over the air I bought a hi-gain antenna for $25 on Ebay. We get about 13 channels, both US and Canada combined. Watch Netflix, Hulu, etc. As I recall the antenna has about 32 db of gain which is great. My son lives in an area where there is no cable and uses his phone as a hotspot over the Verizon network, always an option for those close to a city.

Check out Starlink. It’s supposed to be $99 a month.

Our triple play went from $69.00 to $198.00 a MONTH! That's just ridiculous! Fios and Spectrum are the only two providers in our area.

I'd need to maintain high speed internet only. No need for a house phone (except my alarm company requires it for central station) and we really dont watch too much TV. I'll go with Vonage for the phone as we did with our other home...

I have Apple TV and we have Amazon Firestick.....dont know much about Roku or other providers, so what do you folks have and what stations are afforded with your setup?

TIA,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom