Need to carry extra weight -- Where/how to place it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stretchthepenn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay, hive mind...I had trouble maintaining stable trim during today's dives due to weight-placement issues. Thus, I've got questions about the optimal ways to carry extra weight during sidemount diving.

First, let me describe the gear and the context:
  • Hollis 75 BCD
  • 6-pocket weight-plate
  • 2 x HOG quick-dump waist pouches (the small size)
  • 20# lead, distributed over all 8 pockets
  • 2 x PST HP120 steel tanks
  • 400-gram DUI undergarment
  • Whites bilaminate drysuit
The water is pretty chilly (47 F) at depth in the local quarry, where I do most of my winter diving, and my 200-gram undergarment wasn't getting the job done. Thus, I got myself a 400-gram DUI undergarment, which I figured would keep me toasty warm.

The supa-dupa-fluffy undergarment succeeded admirably at banishing the cold, but the thing is super-buoyant, and instead of carrying 6# of lead in my HOG waist pouches, I had to load myself up with 20# of lead, most of which I had to carry in the 6-pocket weight-plate. All that weight on my back, in turn, led to instability. Basically, if I relaxed, I turned turtle.

In retrospect, I needed to better-distribute the lead and transfer as much as possible from the weight-plate into the waist pouches. Even so, I think I might've still had problems.

My question to y'all, then, is about weighting locations and methods. Where and how can one safely and effectively carry more than a token amount of extra weight while sidemounting? (I also have a Hollis 100D BCD, if any of your solutions will apply to that model.)

Okay, hive mind...I had trouble maintaining stable trim during today's dives due to weight-placement issues. Thus, I've got questions about the optimal ways to carry extra weight during sidemount diving.

First, let me describe the gear and the context:
  • Hollis 75 BCD
  • 6-pocket weight-plate
  • 2 x HOG quick-dump waist pouches (the small size)
  • 20# lead, distributed over all 8 pockets
  • 2 x PST HP120 steel tanks
  • 400-gram DUI undergarment
  • Whites bilaminate drysuit
The water is pretty chilly (47 F) at depth in the local quarry, where I do most of my winter diving, and my 200-gram undergarment wasn't getting the job done. Thus, I got myself a 400-gram DUI undergarment, which I figured would keep me toasty warm.

The supa-dupa-fluffy undergarment succeeded admirably at banishing the cold, but the thing is super-buoyant, and instead of carrying 6# of lead in my HOG waist pouches, I had to load myself up with 20# of lead, most of which I had to carry in the 6-pocket weight-plate. All that weight on my back, in turn, led to instability. Basically, if I relaxed, I turned turtle.

In retrospect, I needed to better-distribute the lead and transfer as much as possible from the weight-plate into the waist pouches. Even so, I think I might've still had problems.

My question to y'all, then, is about weighting locations and methods. Where and how can one safely and effectively carry more than a token amount of extra weight while sidemounting? (I also have a Hollis 100D BCD, if any of your solutions will apply to that model.)

Hate to say it... But with thick thermals: it's spine weights, chest weights, waist weights and a big weightbelt around middle. A little ballast for the keel.

20lbs with HP 120's ? i don't know what body type you are but that sounds like a lot.

20lbs with HP 120's ? i don't know what body type you are but that sounds like a lot.
I'm in my mid-40s, have a sitting-type job, stand 6'4" tall, and weigh about 220 lbs. In other words, on the thin side, but with perhaps less lean muscle mass and more middle-age bioprene than I like. The buoyant undergarment is the problem, not my personal fattitude.

European units. Volume of gas (at 1 ATM) is litres of cylinder volume times bars.

I do put 16/18 lbs on my waist belt (sweet/salty) and 0 lbs on my shoulders (front heavy 2x7L/232bar) [and gaitors]
or 6-8 lbs on my waist belt and 2 lbs on my shoulders (back heavy 2x12L/232bar) [no gaitors]
depending on tanks beeing used.

The 7L tanks are shorted and more front heavy. Thus the gators.
The 12L tanks are longer and more back-heavy. Thus the shoulder weights.

well assuming you've done a weight check at surface then only you can say if its correct amount of weight - if your rolling over then clearly you need to get it off your back and lower the centre of gravity have you got your tanks adjusted correctly? can you lower them a bit or get or tie some weight to the tank - i think youll have to experiment

Back
Top Bottom