Need suggestions for Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sober

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey folks,
I am a relative newbie (12 dives) and will be on Oahu in a few weeks. I am looking to get in a few dives, most likely of the shallow afternoon variety or shore dives. Any suggestions as to operators would be appreciated. Any local divers looking for a dive buddy would be great. Also, the big question-this time of year do I bring the 3mm or 7mm wetsuit?
Thanks in advance for any info.
Steve

I will put in a good recommendation for Gabe Scotti (scottitheduck here on SB) as I've had very good diving experiences with him.

As for the wetsuit thickness, that depends on how cold you get. I get cold easily so I would use the 7mm. I normally use a 3mm or even 5mm at the end of summer when the water is at its warmest.

I don't tend to dive with dive operators, but Gabe Scotti does come highly recommended on this board. As far as wetsuit thickness, I've rocked a 3 mm year-round and gutted it out in the winter months. By "gutted" I mean I was just a little chilly towards the end of my dives. I recently upgraded to a 4/3 which has suited me perfectly. A 7 mm seems like a bit of an overkill as some guys don't wear anything at all. I take that back. Some guys wear only board shorts.

I'll put in one more peg for Gabe, he runs a good op and if you need some extra attention he has your back.

As for exposure protection, it really does depend on your personal comfort factor. When I dive wet here, I use a 3mil and if the waters a little extra cold I have some stuff I can put under it to give it a hand. But then again I have started diving dry here and it is super wonderful :wink:

Peace,
Greg

On Oahu we recommend Ocean Concepts, first class operation, great staff, all good. Tell them Indian Valley Scuba sent you!

With water temps in the high 70s, I would be diving with a full 5mm and a hooded vest or just a hood. Especially with 4 dives a day, I would err on the warm side and make sure I had warm clothes for the surface interval.

Good diving, Craig

gabe is a very good friend and he takes very good care of the people he dives. if for some reason you cant get it worked out give Waikiki Dive Center a call.

Another vote for Gabe! Reef Pirates is also good. They actually can be found on some of the same trips. Best of both worlds!

My wife and I (from MN) are going to be arriving in Oahu on the 17 and will be there for a couple of days before heading over to Maui. We are looking to dive on the 18th and the 19th. Thanks for all of the recommendations. It sounds as if the 1mm suits that we have been using in the carribean will be a bit on the thin side not to mention that we tend to get cold quickly. We'll likely need to rent thicker suits while there. We have our other gear. Sober, I'm Mark and my wife is Dawn. Perhaps we'll run into each other while there. I hope you have a good upcoming trip.

-Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom