Need Spiegel Grove Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadad

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to be in Key Largo the first weekend in August (I know, it's opening weekend). There are three of us and I am having a hard time finding a LDS or private to take us out to Spiegel Grove in the afternoon that weekend, hopefully for a double dip.

Any suggestions?

Part of our group is coming from New Mexico so this is his big opportunity to dive SG. Of course we can't wait to dive it again!

Try Quiessence. They run 3 boats instead of the "1" that most dive shops operate. This might find you a boat that might not be dedicated to Lobsters...
Regarless, I'd reserve as soon as possible as that weekend will be hetic down there.

BTW.... You know that the Spiegel Grove was flipped upright by Hurricane Dennis don't you?

mike_s:
Try Quiessence.
We used them in June, and were very pleased with the personal care. They do have a full service dive shop, also. Family-owned, the non-family employee that I chatted with had also worked there for over 25 yrs, for the same people. I think that says a lot about their character.

The owner captained the boat and took our party of 3 out, with no other divers, and helped us choose sites that were right for our level of experience and what we wanted to see. Fun guy, he loved talking hunting with my husband and son in law. Good luck, hope you're able to book them.

mike_s:
BTW.... You know that the Spiegel Grove was flipped upright by Hurricane Dennis don't you?

Isn't that the most bizarre thing? We didn't get to dive the SG, but will certainly do it in the future. What is the opinion of the ones who have dived it since it righted? Does the new orientation make it a better dive, or is it just a different dive? Not trying to hijack, surely Juls64 would like to know opinions regarding this, also.

Foo

scubadad:
I am going to be in Key Largo the first weekend in August (I know, it's opening weekend). There are three of us and I am having a hard time finding a LDS or private to take us out to Spiegel Grove in the afternoon that weekend, hopefully for a double dip...SNIP
Wow... it's THAT busy? EVERYBODY is booked? Incredible.

MikeJacobs:
Wow... it's THAT busy? EVERYBODY is booked? Incredible.

The problems that I am running into are that it is the beginning of lobster season and we can only go out in the afternoon. Those two factors are what is making it tough.

LDS are running for lobster that weekend or doing the standard reef in the afternoon.

I will just keep calling LDS until I find something. I don't want to miss SG since it has turned over.

try island ventures, bluewater divers, in key largo and divers city in tavernier. goodluck,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

scubadad:
The problems that I am running into are that it is the beginning of lobster season and we can only go out in the afternoon. Those two factors are what is making it tough.

LDS are running for lobster that weekend or doing the standard reef in the afternoon.

I will just keep calling LDS until I find something. I don't want to miss SG since it has turned over.

Try BlueWater, they are great . (888) 953-9600

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom