Need someone to join a Night Diving Certification class with me in my Area!!! 9/19/12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with Jim on this one.... what a joke. I would run as fast as I could from this LDS.

UncleDonnie,

I commend you for taking a class to familiarize yourself with night diving to give you more comfort and confidence. All divers are different and have different reactions in various situations, especially night time and limited visibility conditions. While the cert itself is not widely required, if it is in your area to participate then it certainly has value beyond giving the training and education that you will receive.

Please do not let anyone question your judgement to participate in classes that will enrich your diving skills and comfort level. The night diver class is a valuable tool for many divers. Good luck with finding another diver to take the class and enjoy diving!

---------- Post Merged at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:25 AM ----------

That's a bit harsh Jim. Maybe with PADI, they can throw that in with AOW through the Adventures in Diving Manual, but not SSI, as an example as you need the course.

Why do you need the course to go on a night dive? You have a shop inviting people to go do a night shore dive. What is a certification going to do that having those without "Night Diver" certification going to do that having those who do not have one come in for a free or low cost workshop/orientation, advice on light selection, and get buddied up with a good DM or experienced diver give them. I am a night/low vis instructor for SDI. But I would never require a cert to do a night dive. Do the orientation and one dive. Then if they really want to persue the cert offer it. But make it a worthwhile and intense course covering down to zero vis siltouts. But to use a night dive as an excuse to sell a course. No way.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Somewhere on the web is the Green Man's Guide to Speshulty Diving.

Under "night diving" it says: grab a light and dive at night.

I suggest though you do it at a site with which you are familiar.

@Chris, you can only attend those if you are Night Dive Certified. @Everyone else, I am taking AOW in Spring but I am doing it through a group scholarship so we all have to pick the 4 together and Night Dive won't be one of the options, It's going to be like Deep Diving, Wreck Diving, Boat Diving, and one other one. That's why otherwise I would.

---------- Post Merged at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:13 PM ----------

*Edit I know this because that's who I'm affiliated with and I quote from the Dive on the 15th
"This is a fun night dive! Dive lights and Night certification required! $10.00 and you get a free air fill! Meet at UD at 6:45 or Canoe Beach, Nahant at 7:30!!"

Hmmm. UD is a decent shop, but requiring the cert is more than a little restrictive. There are some skills and gear considerations, but this can be explained by a DM. There are certainly other shops that do DM-led night dives without a night cert requirement.

One option is to take the cert class. another option is to find another shop that is doing night dives or an experienced buddy. Pick a site that you either already know or which is shallow/protected. Above all, you ought to be comfortable in the water during the day, since it is easy to get separated and disoriented at night.

Good luck!

Chris

For people who have experienced buddies, it may not make sense to take a night diving class, but for new divers without anyone to tell them what they don't know, how else would they figure it all out? Night diving isn't rocket science, but there are things that new divers may not even think of--back up lights, how to signal, etc. Especially around here, there are some sites that are great for night dives, and some entries/exits that are just plain dangerous in the dark, and tide factors to consider. The SSI course also covers low viz diving, which can be really helpful in learning/thinking about how to maintain buddy contact, signal and navigate when conditions aren't ideal, which happens pretty often in New England.

UncleDonnie, if there isn't another student that signs up for the class, I do know of shop(s) that will do classes with one student, send me a message if you'd like to know which ones.

Thanks to everyone. We ended up getting 5 people to sign up :D. To those who say this isn't like an official class or it is a scam to sell night diving class. This is SDI's official Night Diving, Underwater Navigation and Limited Visibility Class. It is an actual specialty. I am new and young where I don't have an actual dive buddy. I have only the basic knowledge from what I learned in the OW class plus common sense. So things like exit lights, triangulation and swimming box courses for recovery I would not have thought of.
http://www.tdisdi.com/wpsite/sdi/get-certified/night-limited-visibility-diver/

Well Uncle Donnie it looks like it is a bit more than just a night diving course. I just love how so many are ready to pounce with indignation for what they perceive to be less than acceptable training to them. I hope you enjoy your training. And by the way I did get my SSI Certification with United Divers too. :wink:

Congrats on completing the course and your first night dive. How about sharing your experience in the class...and did your enjoy your first night dive....what site, etc. Would love to hear a mini trip report.

Chris

I will let you know tonight Chris. :D first dive is at 19:30 EST

---------- Post Merged at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Hmmm. UD is a decent shop, but requiring the cert is more than a little restrictive. There are some skills and gear considerations, but this can be explained by a DM. There are certainly other shops that do DM-led night dives without a night cert requirement.

One option is to take the cert class. another option is to find another shop that is doing night dives or an experienced buddy. Pick a site that you either already know or which is shallow/protected. Above all, you ought to be comfortable in the water during the day, since it is easy to get separated and disoriented at night.

Good luck!

Chris

Its restrictive because we are in New England diving at night. really? SDI defines Limited Vis as anything less than 6 feet and SSI defines it as anything less than 20! do you know of a time you had more than 6 feet of vis at a dive site because I certainly cant think of any. Me being a new diver this is even worse! I think its great they are restrictive then again I feel like I am a strict diver myself because not only am I new but theres divers dying left and right not because they were new but because they were attempting stuff beyond the scope of their training.

---------- Post Merged at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Well Uncle Donnie it looks like it is a bit more than just a night diving course. I just love how so many are ready to pounce with indignation for what they perceive to be less than acceptable training to them. I hope you enjoy your training. And by the way I did get my SSI Certification with United Divers too. :wink:

Wow lol, I actually was talking with Janine and Jocelyn about how they were once SSI but then switched to SDI (she was talking about how when they were SSI that Limited Vis was anything less than 20 feet which more than 20 feet never happens in N.E.) But I am glad to see other people affiliated with U.D. on Scuba Board who can understand and first hand saw how strict they are to make sure we are safe especially us who are on the younger side.

BTW DIVE WAS CANCELLED DUE TO HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS. Rescheduled to Next Week Oct. 3rd

Its restrictive because we are in New England diving at night. really? SDI defines Limited Vis as anything less than 6 feet and SSI defines it as anything less than 20! do you know of a time you had more than 6 feet of vis at a dive site because I certainly cant think of any. Me being a new diver this is even worse! I think its great they are restrictive then again I feel like I am a strict diver myself because not only am I new but theres divers dying left and right not because they were new but because they were attempting stuff beyond the scope of their training.

OK - look forward to hearing about it next week. Yes vis > 6 feet does happen more than you think around here.....I'm 6'5", so being able to see my fins gives me a quick measuring stick ;-)

In you aren't comfortable, by all means take the class. Being conservative when you are a new diver is an excellent approach. In my post I talked about being comfortable in the water, diving a shallow/protected site you already know and diving with a DM or experienced buddy.....my main point being that you can certainly pursue a conservative approach with or without a class.

Hope you have a great night diving experience!

Chris

I will let you know tonight Chris. :D first dive is at 19:30 EST

Its restrictive because we are in New England diving at night. really? SDI defines Limited Vis as anything less than 6 feet and SSI defines it as anything less than 20! Do you know of a time you had more than 6 feet of vis at a dive site because I certainly cant think of any.

I define limited vis as anytime I can't see an unlimited distance.

Many of us have been in a range of visibility. More than once at Nubble in the middle of winter the vis was spectacular. On one other occasion in the summer it was less than 1 foot. Most of the time it's between 10-20 feet and very acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom