Need some real help with leaking CF200 seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neonstingray

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I posted a thread recently about a like-new CF200 I picked up for a steal. The condition is great, and I love the suit except for problems with the old neoprene seals. Both the neck and wrist seals are neoprene. I don't know if the seals are a bit loose because of age or the person they were sized for, or if it's just because I have a thin neck and wrists. (I'm pretty lean). And yes I do fold the neoprene neck seal in on itself.

drysuit.jpg

During pool testing, I had some mild leaking, but nothing that reached below the waist. On my first dive this weekend off Boston harbor the neck seal leaked again. I then realized I had forgotten to fold the neoprene seal in on itself. I did this for the second dive and actually had a ton more water run in. It seems without folding the seal in, it was instead sealing against the inside of my hood, which was a better seal than against my neck. Clearly not a legitimate solution though.

Then the wrist seals. I was wearing wetsuit gloves, and each time I grasped my hand, the water in the wetsuit glove would get pumped under and into the neoprene wrist cuff.

By the end of the second dive I was completely soaked, with water sloshing around in my booties as I kicked my fins. So I'm pretty sure I'm past the simple quick fix point and should just get new seals better suited for my thin neck and wrists.

1. I know people often prefer the neoprene neck seals, but given the leaks on the old one I'm hesitant to get another. Should I simply get over that fear and go for a new neoprene neck seal, or switch over to latex at this point? I noticed on Dive Right In Scuba they have different size neoprene seals. I could just go with the small size. On the flip side, given the cost of a new neoprene neck seal, should I install a Si Tech Necktite ring and go with silicone seals? Can you even install a necktite system on a CF200? I can't find info online about how to install the ring, let alone on crushed neoprene.

2. For the wrists, if I want to convert to latex seals is there any benefit in fitting a dry glove ring system now vs later? Even if I go with dry gloves I still want a system where I have a latex seal intact in case the glove or ring comes off. And the neoprene seals are currently stitched to the suit. Do I have to cut that stitching before trying to remove them and replace with latex seals, or would I be cutting the neoprene seals past the stitching?

I'm young and working on a budget, so I prefer to spend money for something reliable and effective, but not for convenience, ease of use, or time-saving.

Thanks for any help or advice,
Austin

Hi Austin,

This is Kathy Long with DUI. Boy that CF200 looks in great shape. Now let's get some dry seals.

Neoprene seals can be a real challenge. One thing you mentioned - you are a lean guy. The diameter of your head in proportion to your neck is larger than say somebody that has that football player neck. So the seal going over your head is going to be extremely tight. Neoprene seals historically do not offer as dry a seal as latex...or now silicone.

You could try reducing the size of your existing seals. Figure out how much smaller you want to make the seal and cut a triangle shape out of the seal. Use wetsuit glue (three coats) to repair the cut. You can hand sew the cut and use Aquaseal to seal the seam. Make sure and only sew through half the width of the fabric. The nylon portion.

We have a short video up on Youtube about diving with prominent tendons. It's at DOGTV - Leaky seals? - YouTube Sometimes adjusting movements helps.

Hope this helps. Also you can download a DUI drysuit manual online at http://www.dui-online.com/pdf/drysuitmanual.pdf

Heh you're the one in the video too! Anyway guys, I PM'd Kathy and she was a great help. I'm wondering still if anyone on the board has attempted to install a si-tech necktite system on a CF200 or similar style suit for that matter? I've search but can't find anything.

Thanks again,
Austin

I have a CF200 with the Necktite system and it works great. Steve Gamble did it.

Back
Top Bottom