need some quick adivse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barracuda2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm going to Truk in a couple of weeks and decided to get a new reg. My regs are a few years old, maintained, but well used. For the kind of diving that we will be doing, I will feel much more confident with a new reg on my cylinder. My price range is from mid $200 to lower $300. What would you advise me to purchase. Probably going to buy from Scuba Toys. I will also be calling them for advise, but I really like hearing from you guys and gals on the board. Thanks for your coming replies.

Barracuda2

My newer regs (5 years old) sit in the closet. I usually dive with regs at least 20 years old. I don't see a new reg I would rather have. If you really want to "upgrade", go for better performance of reliability, not just "new".

PS I bought those older regs on ebay for less that $200.00 a set including gauges. Some were less than $100.00 for the set.

Barracuda2:
I'm going to Truk in a couple of weeks and decided to get a new reg. My regs are a few years old, maintained, but well used. For the kind of diving that we will be doing, I will feel much more confident with a new reg on my cylinder. My price range is from mid $200 to lower $300. What would you advise me to purchase. Probably going to buy from Scuba Toys. I will also be calling them for advise, but I really like hearing from you guys and gals on the board. Thanks for your coming replies.

Barracuda2
From your location and the timing of your trip, I suspect I know which local shop you will be going on the trip with. Bear in mind that they do advertise that they will usually price match to the internet competition. The issue is really what you mean by suggesting that the type of diving you will be doing in Truk is driving your decision. Rumor has it that you may or may not be able to dive the deep wrecks in Truk without the use of doubles and deep dive traing beyond AOW. The water is going to be warm, top to bottom. While suggesting that your current reg may not be adequate, you also set a kind of low price for something that must be up to a challange. Are you going to also use the new reg back home in cold water? Generally, the higher preforming regs as far as depth is concerned tend to also be better suited for cold water diving and are also more expensive. All things considered, take a look at the Aqualung Legend's. They are essentially the same regs as Apeks and Zeagle and are easily available and servicable in your area. If the price proves too high (at least use LeisurePro for a price check), the Aqualung Titan line is rock solid as well and will be perfectly fine down to recreational depths and temps.

A bought my first reg a few months ago, a Sherwood Oasis. I never have cottonmouth anymore. It has some condensation piece inside that adds a little humidity to the air. That was important for me. Also, it has a very smooth delivery from 10 feet down to 120 feet. I'm sure there's an adjustment for the surface, but I don't care. The first stage is postive so it bleeds air to keep it clean, etc. I bought this for reliability, low maintenance and long life. Seems to be on target so far. It also had real good reviews.

OK, my price range just went up. I want better, not just newer. Yes, I will be using this reg as my primary when I get back. That means cold water. I hope they'll let us do the deeper dives and I want the assurance that my reg will take it at 130+ feet while providing me with what I need. That's what I really meant when I said "newer"

Barracuda2

Did you not mention what your current setup is, or did I miss it? As was said, age is a useless determination. To figure out what is better, we need to know what you have. Also buying the right reg set for a trip isn't the correct view, what are your regular diving conditions like?

Edit: Don't know what the perfect set for you would be, but seeing as how the Mares mr22 abyss is suitable for ice diving, was used to set the solo deep dive record (or some such thing) and is on sale from a certian commonly mentioned full warrany internet dealer for just under your $300 limit (no octo for that $ however) Id go with that as my vote.

Can't go wrong with Zeagle, or Atomic if you want prime gear... You said the budget went up... just don't know if it went up that much.

As far as Truk and depth... I went out there a few years ago on the Agressor. Most the dives were in the 100-130 max depth on 32 mix. But there was the Hoki Maru which was a dive we did on air to the bottom so shoot its very impressive prop that sticks out of the sand. Bottom there was 175, and the crew basically said if you feel comfortable doing a single tank air dive to that depth - go for it....

We just hit the 175 took some shots of the prop, praying the depth rating of the 150 foot housings were conservative ratings... then worked up to shallower parts of the super structure in the 100 foot range.

If you are talking to Larry and budget is not of top concern a Flathead would suit you well for all the depths and the cold when you get back. Great reg for the stuff you see and the stuff you don't. As for atomics they are good regs but bump up the budget if you want to go that route.

For those of you in the know: What's your thoughts about the Aeris Atmos Pro? It's in my price range -about $360.00- and the features seem very adequate. Any one been using one lately, would like to hear from you on performance. When I get back from Truk, it will be my Ohio/Great Lakes cold water reg Are there any other regs in that range you feel is "Better" than the AAP? Thanks again.

Barracuda2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom