need some help identifying regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phork

Contributor
Reaction score
Buddy of mine gave me all his mom's old gear and in it was a set of regs. My understanding is it's at least 10 or so years old but other than that he had no other info on it. The first stage appears to be some sort of US Divers but I can't find any identifying marks other than what looks to be a serial number. Google has turned up nothing other than me thinking it looks like a US Divers Conshelf or something similar. All I know about it is it came with the first stage, an Oceanic Delta second stage with the numbers 00492 under the exhaust and a US Divers second with no identifiable markings that I can see and a US Divers Scan 4 that is currently not in working order.

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on it. Think it's worth getting serviced? Better idea to just service the first stage and replace the seconds? I'm assuming it's a warm water reg due to where we live.

Guess I'm really just wondering if it would be worthwhile to get it serviced and not cost an arm and a leg.

Pics are attached. 2014-05-25 17.51.07.jpg2014-05-25 17.51.18.jpg2014-05-25 17.51.26.jpg2014-05-25 17.51.30.jpg2014-05-25 17.51.41.jpg2014-05-25 18.21.55.jpg2014-05-25 18.22.13.jpg2014-05-25 18.22.21.jpg

Conshelf first stage (and second stage). It looks like one of the older model Conshelf (like the Conshelf 21), but the only difference between most of the Conshelf is the number of ports and port arrangement.

It all looks in decent shape and considering that the Conshelf is one of the all times most reliable first stages, it is definitely worth servicing and using it. It is one of the best first stages ever made and it still shares many of the same internal parts with the newest Aqua Lung first stages.

The US divers second stage is just a basic downstream demand valve (typical to the Conshelf). Again very reliable and surprisingly a good performance (when properly adjusted). The only reservation with the US Divers second stage is that some of the early plastic ones were prone to crack near the hose fitting. That one looks like a later one, but check for cracks around the fitting.

Parts and service for the Conshelf (first and second stages) are readily available and service is not a problem.

I am not familiar with the Oceanic Delta, but it looks in decent shape.

The first stage is Conshelf, I am not sure of the model. Conshelf models vary with the number of ports and the size, other than that they are the same. The first stage is a classic balanced diaphragm regulator and the internals are still used in the newer Titan models. You could add a cold water kit to it but it would be expensive.

The second stage looks to be an Oceanic Delta 2 and the octo is a US Divers (Aqualung), it looks like an SE or SE2. The second stages are unbalanced with the Delta being adjustable. As a guess, assuming nothing is wrong, a service would run $125. Whether it is worth it is up to you. These regulators are around 20 years old, breathing wise they will hold their own against a mid-level regulator such as Scubapro MK11/R195 or Aqualung Titan.

Gotcha, thanks to you both for the info. Sounds like it's not too crazy priced on the parts kit. That was one of my concerns. Since they are quite old I wasn't sure how available it would be but doesn't seem like it will be too bad. I'll take them in and see what we can do. Thanks again.

One thing to add, like the rest have said, the parts and service are available for the Conshelf (other than main parts ) but that does not mean that a less than honest dive shop will tell you otherwise. We often hear from divers who are told their older USD/AL or Scubapro regs are no longer serviceable when in fact OEM parts kits are still available if they chose to get them. These regs are not difficult to service yourself and parts are available from Vintage Double Hose so they are good canidates to learn reg servicing. The one thing that may run the cost of service up some is the condition of the hoses. They might need changing but that is true of all regs sooner or later. That said, just because they are a few years old does not automatically mean they must be replaced.

Back
Top Bottom