NEED SOME HELP HERE - Looking for An Alternative to Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

curtissqd

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

My wife, sons & I were all poised to go to Utila to dive this March BUT unfortunately I guess because it is spring break in the US, everything is booked SO now I am looking for an alternative. Before I put anyone's nose out of joint, Roatan has always been out for us as we prefer places like Utila. Quieter, smaller and no cruise ships (this is a must for us) i.e. why we go to Cay Caulker and Plascencia, north Islands in Fiji and the Salomons, etc.

Looking for some alternative that is a) as inexpensive as Utila b) not too difficult to get to c) awesome shore diving and snorkeling (my wife is not a diver so we leave her back at the place & she can just spend her day snorkeling) and c)definitely not touristy (no cruise ships)s. Oh yes and no resorts please. Hate all inclusives, which is why if we went to Utila we wanted to spend at least some of our time in town.

Cheers,
Curtis

Hi,

. Before I put anyone's nose out of joint, Roatan has always been out for us as we prefer places like Utila. Quieter, smaller and no cruise ships (this is a must for us)

Actually, I doubt any will get their nose out of joint as they will soon realize you have little knowledge of Roatan other thn the resorts that you say you want to avoid. There are many places that seldom if ever see a cruise shipper, I see them pass my place on occasion but they are usually lost and turn around and I am only a few miles from Coxen Hole BUT, If your against even the remote roatan then just hop over to Guanaja, Considering your not looking for Resorts or AI's there are plenty of options

Just out of curiousity where were you planning to shore dive on Utila? To the best of my knowledge most of the shore dives are off the three AI resorts on the other side of the lagoon from town. I don't think there's anywhere you can get in the water near town except for one beach - I could be wrong.

You've pretty much described Bonaire except that it's a little harder to get to than Utila - and probably slightly more expensive to do so. But it's the shore diving capital of the Caribbean - maybe the world - there's around 60 shore dive sites clustered north or south of town. Cruises ships do dock in town but you don't want to stay in that area anyway as there's really no diving there. Since you don't like resorts, there's a variety of rental condos/houses available.

The Belnem area south of town is mostly residential and quiet - a five minute drive to downtown Kralendijk. There's a few smaller ocean front rentals in Belnem that are on/near a dive site and the snorkeling is just as good. Look on vrbo.com or SunRentals Bonaire Downside for your wife is that the few beaches on Bonaire are all off the resorts - or man-made by them. Most of the divesites are ironshore/coral rubble. There are no facilities at any of the shore dive sites either - although some are also good snorkel sites. www.infobonaire.com

Western Curacao might be another option. Curacao has almost as many shore dives as Bonaire, they're just more spread out - many require a short drive in from the main road. It's very quiet, there's good snorkeling off some of the beaches and many have a dive site further out so your wife could snorkel/relax while you dive. Many of them also have beach operators - some are also a dive operator. For us Curacao was easier to get to than either Utila or Bonaire. www.curacao.com Also http://www.curacao-actief.com/index.php?id=3 for a list of dive/snorkel sites. Cruise ships do dock downtown but you can easily avoid that area as the main highway that bisects the island is farther inland.

The north side of St. Croix might be another option. The cruise ships all dock on the south side. It's about the only other place I can think of that has multiple shore diving options in the Caribbean besides Aruba and the above. Except Grand Cayman which seriously fails the "inexpensive" test.

Last edited:
....My wife, sons & I were all poised to go to Utila to dive this March BUT unfortunately I guess because it is spring break in the US, everything is booked SO now I am looking for an alternative. Before I put anyone's nose out of joint, Roatan has always been out for us as we prefer places like Utila. Quieter, smaller and no cruise ships (this is a must for us)

What you are running into is Semana Santa. Of the many tourists taking part in Semana Santa, I would guess maybe 1 or 2 do come from the US.

That said, you would be missing the Reef House Resort on Roatan. It would fit all of your "needs" other than the fact that it's on Roatan.

Roatan Diving, Honduras Roatan Diving, Honduras Scuba Diving, PADI Scuba Courses, Shark Dive, Scuba Diving, Night Dive, Night Diving, Reef House, Reef House Resort, Reefhouseresort, Reef Dive Sites, Scuba Vacations, Dive Vacations, Roatan Dive Resort

Do some research. Look at Cayos Cochinos, Guanaja, and Google Semana Santa.

Depending on your dates, we have space in April and our shore dive starts at the end of the dock. You might also check with Laurence H who posts on this board. Link to our place is in my signature and if you google pineapple house and Utila you will find Laurence's property.

Hi DiverSteve,

Yes I think Bonaire is next. Love to get more advice from you when I come back from Utila. Yes got a place for the dates we wanted so all set; leaving today.

Cheers,
Curtis

Just out of curiousity where were you planning to shore dive on Utila? To the best of my knowledge most of the shore dives are off the three AI resorts on the other side of the lagoon from town. I don't think there's anywhere you can get in the water near town except for one beach - I could be wrong.

You've pretty much described Bonaire except that it's a little harder to get to than Utila - and probably slightly more expensive to do so. But it's the shore diving capital of the Caribbean - maybe the world - there's around 60 shore dive sites clustered north or south of town. Cruises ships do dock in town but you don't want to stay in that area anyway as there's really no diving there. Since you don't like resorts, there's a variety of rental condos/houses available.

The Belnem area south of town is mostly residential and quiet - a five minute drive to downtown Kralendijk. There's a few smaller ocean front rentals in Belnem that are on/near a dive site and the snorkeling is just as good. Look on vrbo.com or SunRentals Bonaire Downside for your wife is that the few beaches on Bonaire are all off the resorts - or man-made by them. Most of the divesites are ironshore/coral rubble. There are no facilities at any of the shore dive sites either - although some are also good snorkel sites. www.infobonaire.com

Western Curacao might be another option. Curacao has almost as many shore dives as Bonaire, they're just more spread out - many require a short drive in from the main road. It's very quiet, there's good snorkeling off some of the beaches and many have a dive site further out so your wife could snorkel/relax while you dive. Many of them also have beach operators - some are also a dive operator. For us Curacao was easier to get to than either Utila or Bonaire. www.curacao.com Also Curaçao Actief for a list of dive/snorkel sites. Cruise ships do dock downtown but you can easily avoid that area as the main highway that bisects the island is farther inland.

The north side of St. Croix might be another option. The cruise ships all dock on the south side. It's about the only other place I can think of that has multiple shore diving options in the Caribbean besides Aruba and the above. Except Grand Cayman which seriously fails the "inexpensive" test.

Actually Laurence thought he was booked (turned out they cancelled but after I had other reservations). That said I might just go out to his place for a few day :)

Hi Curtis,

If you need some help, send me an email. I book travel to the Caribbean and have done probably 15 trips to Laguna Beach Resort on Utila.

Best, Greg

Liquid Diving Adventures

awesome shore diving and snorkeling (my wife is not a diver so we leave her back at the place & she can just spend her day snorkeling) and c)definitely not touristy (no cruise ships)s. Oh yes and no resorts please. Hate all inclusives,
OK. I'm confused. All the shore diving (that I know of) off Utila is off one of the 3 AI's - Laguna Beach, Deep Blue or Utopia Village.

Is there even shorediving in town? IDK...

Since you're going, get on a boat and dive Pinnacles and Duppy Waters on the north side. And Black Hills on the south side.

I make regular shore dives on Utila, perhaps weekly, on my days off from work. There are several locations one can go to that isn't related to the AI's across the lagoon.

And I have a hard time believing the island is booked for March. The apartment next to me, one of the nicer ones on the island, is vacant. Actually I know of many openings around the island, apartment, hotel, or otherwise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom