Need some help from the pros!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim ernst:
ghost, dolphin scuba center just opened a new store in stockton, a great friend of mine from here in sacramento is the manager,(patrick) is also a fantastic instuctor and NOT A PUSH THIS PUSH THAT SALES PERSON, if you go and see him tell him what you are looking for even if he dosent have it he will help you find what YOU WANT!! that i can say for sure, and yes you may tell him i recomended you come to him!!! i think you will be pleased!!! jim :D

I know Patrick as well and agree with Jim that Patrick will help you out to find what you want... That being said don't get into a rush buying gear... rent or borrow for now while you are getting back into it since once you buy you'll be stuck with it for years...
Go dive the breakwater (Monterey) on a Saturday or Sunday and you'll find every brand and model out there... just stroll along and ask questions... it's a lot more objective than going to any store.

my .02 cents

... dolphin scuba center just opened a new store in stockton, a great friend of mine from here in sacramento is the manager,(patrick) ...
DANG! Patrick moved? (I know him too :wink: )
Didn't even know Dolphin was opening another store, see what happens when I leave town for a few months?!?!
Who is the current manager there now?

Back to your question though... with your style of kicking, you may even like the "love 'em or hate 'em" Force Fins. :crafty:
What size feet do you have? I may have a pair you can try out.
Heck, I may also have some Duck Feet & Churchills... :D

Bob3:
DANG! Patrick moved? (I know him too :wink: )
Didn't even know Dolphin was opening another store, see what happens when I leave town for a few months?!?!
Who is the current manager there now?

Back to your question though... with your style of kicking, you may even like the "love 'em or hate 'em" Force Fins. :crafty:
What size feet do you have? I may have a pair you can try out.
Heck, I may also have some Duck Feet & Churchills... :D
bob, patrick did move as a manager, (didnt relocate personaly) and i didnt even know until a week befor he left, derick also left, um..... i dont know who the new sacramento manager is now and i know all of them there well!! i deal with mike on a regular bases for photo equipment, and may soon dive master for them, great shop and awsome people, buy they way the new stockton store is haveing there grand opening sale this weekend 8-27-28-05 :D

I think the question you need to ask yourself is what do you hope to accomplish with your fins. This will dictate the type of fin and the type of fin will dictate the kick.

If you will be drift diving off boats for the rest of your life then any fin will do and you will learn the kick that works best for that fin. If you want to carry 4 tanks in a drysuit in a cave then your present kick will not work.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks for the Dolphin Scuba recommendation Jim. I met with Patrick yesterday, great guy! The new Stockton store is great!

Went in today and was able to kick a pair of Twin Jets thanks to Patrick. I love those fins. Very easy to kick and almost no effort.

I also stopped by the Tracy LDS and looked at the Force Fins. Seems like an interesting design, definately looks like a "love em or hate em" kind of fin. Thinking about going back in the morning and giving them a try in the pool. The owner there is a great guy and really helpful. I'm also interested in checking out the Riptide BCD line he carries.

As far as what do I want to do with my fins. Right now I'm so new to diving that I really don't think I make that kind of decision right now. To say that I want to haul two tanks into a cave in my mind would be irresponsible as I don't have near the experience to do that sort of diving. Right now I want to be able to do both shore diving and boat diving (thinking about planning a Channel Island trip again) for fun and adventure. I want to continue my training with AOW and on into night diving and navigation.

Hi,
New to diving ...but all the experenced divers i have talked to, swear by the scubapro jets. I found if you go to a popular dive location- you can check out different gear people are using (showroom new and lots of older gear) The people are glad to give you feed back on what is working and what is not.
Heck i even had one guy let me try his new BCD out.
Divers Rock!
Best regards.

Just go to the LDS with the pool, drag all their fins out and swim around in them. You have your own swimming style and this is the only way to find the pair that will make you happiest. It's just like shoe shopping. Everyone puts them on and walks down the isle in them. Why wouldn't you do the same with fins?

RumBum:
Just go to the LDS with the pool, drag all their fins out and swim around in them. You have your own swimming style and this is the only way to find the pair that will make you happiest. It's just like shoe shopping. Everyone puts them on and walks down the isle in them. Why wouldn't you do the same with fins?

I wish my LDSs would allow that. For some reason none of the LDSs in my area demo their gear. You can kick their rental gear, which is always the low end stuff thats fine for renting but not what you want to buy.

UPDATE:

Well I received a pair of Scubapro Jet Fins in the mail yesterday compliments of Ebay and have to say I really like the look of these fins. I can't wait to find a pool to kick these in.

Now where is the best place to get the spring straps??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom