Need some help finding the right fins..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheShark1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've tried the Scubapro Twin Jet Max's. Very comfortable. Didn't hurt the knees or back at all. Can't frog kick with them or swim in a current.

I tried the Mares Avanti Quattros. Way too stiff. Hurt my knees and back. Nice fast powerful frog-kicking fins, though.

Tried the Scubapro Nova's. Not as stiff as the Quattros. But still hurt my knees and back, and it's awkward frog-kicking. Definitely a fast powerful fin though.

Would like to try the Mares Xtreme's next. They seem to have a comfortable boot. Frog-kick-able, but not too stiff. Only problem is I work at a dive shop and these things get returned torn all the time.. not durable at all.

Anyone have any better ideas?

Something that isn't as stiff as the Quattros or Novas (won't hurt my knees or back). Something I can frog-kick in. Something more durable than the Xtreme's. Preferably something that comes in full-foot, too.

Have a look at forcefin.com The Pro is the same as the Original but is a bit stiffer. Check them out. They are more ergonomically correct the way they use the foot instead of the toes/end of foot.

Deep 6 Eddy fins, unless you need something heavier, in which case the Hollis F1.

What rongoodman said. Or the Mako Competition Freediver fins (which I linked in your other thread).

Except, if you need to buy something the shop sells, then try the Hollis F1 LT (less negative) or F1 (non-LT - more negative).

I use the Oceanic Viper fins and have been very happy with them. I will say, if there is anything more than a light moderate current you will be working pretty hard to keep up.

Op said not as stiff as Quattros, I don't think the F1s meet that criteria. They are a very heavy and stiff fin.

Last edited:
I like my Force Fins But, they are not a full foot. And, they are limited on the surface in chop or current.
However, that said, mine are early editions from the 90s.
I did like my Plana fins. Powerful in any situation. But gave them up for too many knee surgeries for the Force Fin.
Have tried good, old fashion US Divers Rocket Fins? (Now Aqua?) I do not find them that heavy when in the water. However, I gave them up for knees back in the 90s.

I hear ya Bookmon...Fins and Masks seem to be those items that a lot of people go through many of them to find "the right ones" I know I have gone through a lot over the years in search of the right ones that are to my liking,,,

Absolutely, I've literally lost count of the number of fins I've gone through before finally settling on the DR XTs and Mares Power Planas. Ditto masks until I came across the AA frameless (V1) in medium.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom