Need some help finalizing my equipment options!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MosesT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hello everyone! My name is Moses and I'm a college student, 22 years old, 5' 8", weigh roughly 165lb, located in Sacramento, CA, USA and I've been on 20 dives now (6-7 of them were in Maui, HI, the rest were here in California, in rivers/lakes/ocean). I currently own my own gear but would like to upgrade as I bought everything used as a package off someones hands and everything is starting to go out/corrode one by one and would like to replace everything over the next few months as I wouldn't be able to afford buying everything all at once. I also own 4 scuba tanks total, they are 2 x Catalina S80 and 2 x Catalina C80 which are only about 4 years old and in good condition.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I would like to buy all of my gear brand new because I'm not sure who used it/when they serviced everything, etc because I have had friends that have bough used equipment that worked fine for a bit only to have issues down the road and needed to be replaced.. I'm also hoping to be in this scuba diving hobby for the next 20 years.. even as a child, I've been fascinated by water/sea life so much so that I'm in the reef aquarium hobby (have been for 10 years now) and have a 75 gallon reef tank in my living room.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I've been doing a lot of reading on the forums here and need a bit more help in choosing the rest of my equipment. For my setup, I'm mostly doing recreational ocean diving and spear fishing here off the coast of California, usually North of SF. I'm planning a single tank backmount BP&W BCD setup for cold water diving providing a minimalistic setup since you could pretty much build it from the ground up and include exactly what you need using my Catalina S80 and Catalina C80. Can anyone suggest a few good brands/stores I should check out where I could build it piece by piece?[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I have found this link on BCD's to be very helpful:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]http://scubatechphilippines.com/scuba_blog/scuba-equipment-choosing-a-buoyancy-control-device-bcd/[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]As far as mask/regulator set up, I'm planning on going with a FFM since most/all of my dives will be in very cold water and the FFM is more appealing to me. And yes, I've read a lot about them and I really like the set up.. and I also plan on having a backup reg/octo and carry a backup mask. Yes, I'm aware of the barfing situations, claustrophobic feeling some people get from a FFM, training in switching to backup mask/reg under water, and surface valve that you can open to breath through rather than your regulator on the surface. If anyone has any info./advice about the FFM, please do share![/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]From most of the FFM I've come across, the Ocean Reef Neptune Space Predator Full Face Mask seem to be my favorite with people saying the OTS Guardian is better if I plan on diving in even colder water (below freezing temps) which I do not. (If you have other FFM's in mind, please do share!) I am also planning on adding a communication com to my FFM down the road..[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]However, does anyone know the difference between the:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Ocean Reef Neptune Space Predator FFM[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]vs.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Ocean Reef Predator T Divers FFM[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]It's only a $20 price difference between the two...[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I have found this thread on FFM's to be very helpful:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...-full-face-mask.html?highlight=good+regulator[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]As far as1st stage goes, what would be the best for a FFM? Not really sure which to get... I've read the Aqualung Legend 1st stage is great for cold water.. Anyone have any suggestions?[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]As far as scuba computers go, there are so many to choose from and am still looking into it.. I was planning on getting a wrist watch computer with a wireless transmitter.. either an Oceanic or a Suunto.. Any suggestions?[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I have found this thread on scuba computers to be very helpful:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...zers/305374-so-you-want-buy-new-computer.html[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Thank you!! :)[/FONT]

As far as scuba computers go, there are so many to choose from and am still looking into it.. I was planning on getting a wrist watch computer with a wireless transmitter.. either an Oceanic or a Suunto.. Any suggestions?

There's a computer forum next door, but if you mean "watch" as in actually watch-sized, I think H3 is the only option, it's going to have air integration Real Soon Now(tm). There's a few Oceanic VT 4.1 closeouts still left on Amazon, that's the cheapest DC+transmitter combo at the moment. DG03 is the cheapest computer but the transmitter isn't. Suunto EON Steel is one of the most expensive ones.

Hi there Moses, you are just down the road.

I also wanted to piece my BP/W together and before I did, I had started this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...and-weight-systems/440934-bp-w-questions.html

I basically got everything for it from Dive Gear Express but bought the wing from another diver here on SB. It was a Hog 32lb and in excellent condition. Still is.

I have since though moved to a Halcyon Eclipse wing which I find a bit more streamlined.

I don't know anything about FFM, but wonder why you have made this decision.

Have you tried any? I would certainly suggest that you do try before you buy. You might love it, you might hate it. The one thing that I have heard is that you use your gas up faster with a FFM. That is just what I have heard, no personal experience there.

Since most of your diving is going to be in California waters, I would suggest you look into getting steel tanks instead of the aluminum ones that you currently have. You have to wear enough weight here as it is to compensate for your exposure protection, why add an aluminum tank that will require a few more?

I also would not be so quick to dismiss used dive gear. Of course you have to know what you are buying, but there are plenty of treasures to be found.

---------- Post added November 18th, 2015 at 04:39 PM ----------

Oh yeah, you are 22 and only looking to dive for 20 more years? I didn't even start until I was 53!

Hi there Moses, you are just down the road.

I also wanted to piece my BP/W together and before I did, I had started this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...and-weight-systems/440934-bp-w-questions.html

I basically got everything for it from Dive Gear Express but bought the wing from another diver here on SB. It was a Hog 32lb and in excellent condition. Still is.

I have since though moved to a Halcyon Eclipse wing which I find a bit more streamlined.

I don't know anything about FFM, but wonder why you have made this decision.

Have you tried any? I would certainly suggest that you do try before you buy. You might love it, you might hate it. The one thing that I have heard is that you use your gas up faster with a FFM. That is just what I have heard, no personal experience there.

Since most of your diving is going to be in California waters, I would suggest you look into getting steel tanks instead of the aluminum ones that you currently have. You have to wear enough weight here as it is to compensate for your exposure protection, why add an aluminum tank that will require a few more?

I also would not be so quick to dismiss used dive gear. Of course you have to know what you are buying, but there are plenty of treasures to be found.

---------- Post added November 18th, 2015 at 04:39 PM ----------

Oh yeah, you are 22 and only looking to dive for 20 more years? I didn't even start until I was 53!

I'll def. look into the link you've provided! :)

Do you still have your BP/W set up? What made you go with the Halcyon Eclipse set-up over the BP/W set-up since you already had the BP/W?

No, I need to find a place that rent's them out or someone I could borrow one from or something.. but no luck..

Would it be better to be lighter, but just have more weights around your belt? So that if anything, I could just drop them and be super duper buoyant, vs being kinda of buoyant?

I'll def. look into the link you've provided! :)

Do you still have your BP/W set up? What made you go with the Halcyon Eclipse set-up over the BP/W set-up since you already had the BP/W?

No, I need to find a place that rent's them out or someone I could borrow one from or something.. but no luck..

Would it be better to be lighter, but just have more weights around your belt? So that if anything, I could just drop them and be super duper buoyant, vs being kinda of buoyant?

The Halcyon Eclipse is just a wing. I replaced the hog wing with it. I then went and built another backplate and harness that I want to get my son diving in. He will use the Hog wing.

I know Dolphin sells FFMs, so it may be possible that they rent them as well. At a minimum, they should let you try it in their pool.

As far as weight, I prefer to carry as little "extra" weight as possible.

With a BP/W, the rig itself is negatively buoyant by around 6 lbs. 5.5 for the plate and then take in to account the buckle, D rings, tri glides and the cam bands. With my original BC, Oceanic Excursion II, throw that in the pool and it will float without issue. Since moving to the Eclipse, which requires an STA, that adds another 1.5 lbs of weight.

In my drysuit, I wear my rig plus 20 lbs. 10 in pockets on one of the cam bands and 10 on a weight belt. Steel HP 100.

The Halcyon Eclipse is just a wing. I replaced the hog wing with it. I then went and built another backplate and harness that I want to get my son diving in. He will use the Hog wing.

I know Dolphin sells FFMs, so it may be possible that they rent them as well. At a minimum, they should let you try it in their pool.

As far as weight, I prefer to carry as little "extra" weight as possible.

With a BP/W, the rig itself is negatively buoyant by around 6 lbs. 5.5 for the plate and then take in to account the buckle, D rings, tri glides and the cam bands. With my original BC, Oceanic Excursion II, throw that in the pool and it will float without issue. Since moving to the Eclipse, which requires an STA, that adds another 1.5 lbs of weight.

In my drysuit, I wear my rig plus 20 lbs. 10 in pockets on one of the cam bands and 10 on a weight belt. Steel HP 100.

Ahhh, gotcha..

Yeah, that's where I saw a FFM, I'll def. have to ask them if they rent out FFMs or something..

Well, I'm planning on having a 6-7mm wet-suit.. So with that BP/W set up, you have a total negative buoyancy of about 12lb without the weights?

A few suggestions - I was in a similar space to you a few years ago. A few thoughts:

- I dive in waters a good way north of you, in much colder waters. Regular masks will do you just fine. A FFM just isn't necessary. For northwest diving, a 9mm hood and a regular mask configuration keeps my face very warm. I don't notice the cold.

- Second the recommendation of steel HP100 tanks. You'll need to carry less weight.

- You didn't mention exposure protection. If you're worried about cold, you need to invest in a dry suit, an under suit, and a good quality base layer. Dry gloves you usually go well with this setup.

- Halcyon makes good kit, but it is not cheap. I have a 40 lb Eclipse wing that balances out my dry suit and under suit lift nicely. The steel tanks are essential to balancing out the rig.

- Learn to use hand signals and light signals for communication. Way more reliable than a FFM communications system. Cheaper, too.

- I have a Liquivision Xen bottom timer that I like a lot. Everything I need, nothing I don't.

- You didn't mention a Single Tank adapter for your BP/W. You'll need one. Halcyon makes one, other manufacturers do, too.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you're definitely decided on a BP/W - Deep Sea Supply should definitely be a consideration. They make a quality product and Tobin the owner will take the time to fit you right and explain why - even on the phone. Since it's the only one you'll likely ever buy - worth a phone call - or maybe a road trip to Pasadena. They have a mfr's forum here or https://www.deepseasupply.com/ This is Tobin: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/cool_hardware52-28351.html

Suunto's generally use the most conservative algorithm in the dive computer space. And you can make it more conservative if wanted. Oceanic has a more liberal algorithm and they actually support two different ones in any of their better computers so you can more closely match a buddy's computer. My buddy dives an Oceanic, I believe it's the previous generation Atom 3.0 and it's worked flawlessly.

I have had the one piece 7mm Aqualung AquaFlex and it is very comfortable.

Yet I am sure I have more "bioprene" than you do, so you might want to wear a hooded vest underneath it.

But once you start adding to that, you get in to the area financially of some drysuits.

My son is now diving the Typhoon that Dolphin sells and it seems to be quite nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom