Need some good tricks for dealing with sea sickness.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a side note, I've been told to eat bananas before the boat ride if you get seasick. Evidently they taste good (well, as good as possible, I guess) coming back up :)

Wow guys thanks for all the great advice this is exactly what i was looking for the scopalomine patch sounds like something i need to try as well as the ginger candies i dont really know what more to do once on the boat bc as u said trying to gear up on a rocking boat is a recipe for sea sickness for sure. Thanks for all the kind words and knowledge of knowing its ok to puke bc in all reality i probably would have felt better as opposed to trying to hold it down. thanks again

May I add my commiserations. I get very seasick in anything beyond ripples on the ocean. Looking at the horizon helps to make me puke 5 mins into the boat ride instead of 3 mins. Good luck with this, I am taking the advice in this thread for myself too.

I found eating before we got underway to help a lot, not a large greasy breakfast, but my own empirical study indicated that coffee and cigarettes = barf, oatmeal, oj and water = no barf.

I only got it bad once we had high seas leaving port and I forgot to take the meclizine before we cast off. Bad day.

Only other advice is look out at horizon or something on land if you can see land. Don't look at the bilge water, and stay away from the diesel fumes.

Michael

The best place for you while the boat is underway is at the very back and center of the boat. Most people avoid this area due to the fumes but it is the most stable place in the boat and when you are underway the fumes will be behind you. Also being outside is better then inside. Avoid spicy and acidic foods.

durring the ride i stayed inside the covered area and sat sideways at a sort of rap-a-round table it was not any higher or lower than the main deck and i could see the horizon so that helped but i did notice that sitting sideways kept the rocking from really messing me up it was less noticeable when seated sideways vs when i sat parallel to the bow and stern....? maybe just all in my head but u never know

I find if I eat before getting on the boat, I'm way less likely to be sick. I can't take any of the meds, but I do take ginger pills and they work perfectly. If I'm hungry on the boat, salty snacks seem to settle things better than anything else.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

lots of good advice in this thread, but no one mentioned lying down? I always found it the best short term cure.

Also, take the pills early and often for the first few days. I find that after about 3 days I don't need pills.

I had seasickness once and I tried something and it worked. Don't know if someone else tried it before or not. I ate ice. has anyone heard about this before ?

Back
Top Bottom