Need some good tricks for dealing with sea sickness.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hubby is prone to sea sickness. He uses dramamine when needed, has chewed ginger on occasion and has bought the wrist bands things. They put pressure on a pulse point I think. He really likes these and say they worked good.

I am a physician and suggest you look into a class of prescription medications known as 5HT3 receptor antagonists. These medications initially were used by physicians to prevent and treat nausea in chemotherapy patients. Initially they were very expensive (think over $300 for a single pill). Now they are available in generic for a few bucks. There are 3 commonly available in the USA. All require a prescription. Kytril, Zofran and Anzemet. I have no experience with the Anzemet but I personally have used the Zofran (4mg and 8mg tablets) and Kytril (1mg tablets) and have given these meds to my friends to use and the results have been amazing. People who get seasick in 2 foot seas are able to go out in rough conditions with no problems. The medications are very well tolerated and safe for adults and children. I recommend the medication be taken an hour before getting on the boat but I have even given these medications to people after they have become seasick and have had excellent results. If your physician is not familiar with these medications, he/she may have some reluctance to prescribe because these medications are "used for cancer patients." The reality is that these are some of the safest anti-nausea medications made. The side effect profile is very low and adverse reactions are extremely rare.
How would you compare the effectiveness of this with scopolamine? I've found the Scopace tablets to be the best thing I've used yet. I still get seasick, but unless conditions are severe, I don't get sick enough to spoil the fun. When conditions are severe, I get very sick, even with scopolamine, whether patch or tablet. I've asked my doctor about other drugs, such as those used for post-surgery nausea, and he said he considers the scopolamine to be preferable. But I've never asked about Zofran or Kytril.

Use to get sea sick when I was young, it stopped as I got older...When patches came out and as people have said they were strong and had side effects....Got around that by cutting it in 1/2, putting it behind my ear before going to bed and putting the other 1/2 behind other ear before getting on the boat....Have a friend who still does the same thing and puts a hard lemon or ginger drop candy in his mouth during the trip even while diving.....Hope you find what works......
The person who originally recommended scopolamine patches to me suggested cutting them in half. I've done this, although the instructions say never to do so. I think maybe it affects the timed release. Whether whole or halved, I find the release is too uneven: So much that the first day that the side effects (for me these are dizziness and a sore throat) are too strong, and the third day the dose is too low to prevent the seasickness. I've switched to the Scopace tablets (same medicine, but in oral form) with good results.

My understanding was that Scopace was taken of the market in April 2011. Where have you been able to find it?

My understanding was that Scopace was taken of the market in April 2011. Where have you been able to find it?
My most recent refill was April of this year at Walgreens. I just phoned my local Walgreens, and the pharmacist told me that he has not received any recall notice, but that he does not know if it is still available, and since they don't stock it, the only way to find out would be to order it. I don't need another refill yet. He said it's not a popular medicine, so the maker might have discontinued it for lack of demand.

I'm going to ask my doctor about the meds divndoc recommends above.

I won't go back to the Transderm Scop patch. It was just too uneven. Without something at least as good as Scopace I'd have to quit diving.

You don't need quick fix medication . . .you have to build up and develop your psychosomatic tolerance by learning to "acclimatize" to the unique & dynamic forces/motion environment around you.

. . .Motion Sickness is largely the result of a dopamine prediction error: there is a conflict between the type of motion being experienced --for instance, the unfamiliar pitch of a boat-- and the type of motion expected (solid, unmoving ground). The result in this case is nausea and vomiting. But it doesn't take long before the dopamine neurons start to revise their model of motion; this is why seasickness is usually temporary. After a few horrible hours, the dopamine neurons . . .learn to expect the gentle rocking of the high seas.
p.41-42 How We Decide, Jonah Lehrer

You don't acquire this tolerance by dulling your cognitive/kinesthetic senses with excessive dependence on drugs. . . (see post #3)

While some people get over being seasick after a time, others never do. Charles Darwin was seasick the entire 5-year voyage of the Beagle, and Lord Nelson was seasick every time he went to sea. Some of us DO need to "dull[...] [our] cognitive/kinesthetic senses with [...] drugs."

I have tried every mental trick there is. I have spent a week on a tall ship without drugs, telling myself "This time I am NOT going to get sick," and believing it, until I did get sick. I have tried the wrist bands, both pressure type and electrical type. I have tried "natural" remedies (both ginger and ginseng). I have tried watching the horizon, standing amidships, allowing the boat to roll under me (these help, but not nearly enough).

When the motion is severe, nothing works. When the motion is very slight, standing amidships and watching the horizon works. In between, I need drugs. And Scopace is the best of the drugs I've tried. I'm looking forward to trying Zofran.

People who do not get seasick, or who get over it after a while on the boat, can sometimes be extraordinarily insensitive to people who do get seasick. My father always insisted it is "all in your head" and accused me of getting carsick on purpose just to spoil the ride for everyone else.

While some people get over being seasick after a time, others never do. Charles Darwin was seasick the entire 5-year voyage of the Beagle, and Lord Nelson was seasick every time he went to sea. Some of us DO need to "dull[...] [our] cognitive/kinesthetic senses with [...] drugs."

I have tried every mental trick there is. I have spent a week on a tall ship without drugs, telling myself "This time I am NOT going to get sick," and believing it, until I did get sick. I have tried the wrist bands, both pressure type and electrical type. I have tried "natural" remedies (both ginger and ginseng). I have tried watching the horizon, standing amidships, allowing the boat to roll under me (these help, but not nearly enough).

When the motion is severe, nothing works. When the motion is very slight, standing amidships and watching the horizon works. In between, I need drugs. And Scopace is the best of the drugs I've tried. I'm looking forward to trying Zofran.

People who do not get seasick, or who get over it after a while on the boat, can sometimes be extraordinarily insensitive to people who do get seasick. My father always insisted it is "all in your head" and accused me of getting carsick on purpose just to spoil the ride for everyone else.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough . . .they're yours"

We're not insensitive --simply trying motivate y'all to keep on trying. Motion sickness and the possible withdrawal syndrome from the medications "dulling your senses" are gonna make it that much harder to build up tolerance. . .

Keep on trying, don't give up. This is absolutely nothing & benign in relative comparison to a narcotic drug/nicotine or alcohol addiction.

"Argue for your limitations and sure enough . . .they're yours"
Or, in other words, "You only get seasick because you believe you will." Translation: "It's all in your head."

This is indeed insensitive. SEASICKNESS IS REAL. Some people never experience it and some people can overcome it without drugs. For others it is as real as getting punched in the face, and no amount of "mental control" or "positive thinking" is going to prevent the bloody nose or the black eye.

No my friend . . .seasickness is real and can be beat. The following is the "tao" and the way:

(Bump & expanding from Post#3):
There's nothing wrong with quick & easy somatic remedies/medications for sea sickness, but you can break the dependency on them over time with self-hypnosis/visualization only, building up in the process your own "psychosomatic tolerance".

The motivation is to do all means cognitively to help yourself without any over-the-counter drugs (and the side-effects they can produce), but only seek professional help with prescribed medication as necessary when those avenues, methods of self-help are not viable.

Here again is the method and the logic behind using the cognitive visualization technique which I've posted about in few boards including several threads in the past here on Scubaboard:

Most people don't get motion sickness while driving a car or piloting a boat/plane; the reason being because you're directly effecting the action of the vessel, you see what actions you have to take to steer a clear passage, you anticipate and react to the dynamic forces that result from such actions. Your mind/body kinesthetics are synchronized, your vestibular senses unconfounded, and you don't develop the nausea associated with motion sickness.

Here's how to achieve that state as a passenger on a diveboat:

Look not only at the Horizon, but also at the railing of the boat in the foreground --and see how it all moves relative to each other as the boat makes way through the swells. Memorize that movement and close your eyes, feel the boat's rhythm moving through the swells, and "see" that railing/horizon movement in your mind's eye. Anticipate where that railing/horizon orientation will be when you open your eyes . . .and finally open your eyes to see it and confirm it. Convince your mind and inner ear that you are in dynamic motion based on your sense of balance, tactile/kinesthetic feedback, and coordinating-synchronizing it all with the movement pattern of the railing/horizon which you just memorized. . .

In other words . . .don't anticipate being seasick --anticipate being in control, knowing & feeling what the boat's motion is going to be. With practice of this simple visualization, you can even "quell the queasiness" in the roughest sea conditions --all without any medication of any kind.

Again --All you gotta do is look at the horizon, see how it moves relative to the boat's motion and memorize that pattern, and then get a feeling for the rhythm of the swells and synchronize it with horizon's motion. Now when you go down belowdecks, just play it all back in your "mind's eye" as you begin to feel & anticipate the boat's apparent motion --or even imagine the boat belowdecks is transparent and you can actually see the horizon & swells in sync with the boat's apparent motion-- it's all just visualization without medication and it works!

That's the visualization technique you gotta practice, and unfortunately it's difficult to do if you're concentrating on something else like setting up your gear, reading a book, watching a video, worrying about running out of ginger pills/dramamine/bonine etc. But once you get good at it, you can hold the malaise to a reasonable level even in stormy seas --a "four" for instance on a scale from 1 to 10, with "ten" being projectile vomiting, extreme nausea, hugging the rail and begging for someone to shoot you . . . (In my thirty hour passage from mainland Costa Rica to Cocos Island, I was cognitively exhausted performing the technique over an extended period, and just simply fell asleep naturally). . .
____
Look people --here's an easy beginning exercise to help develop your Cognitive/Kinesthetic Awareness and to understand the basic mechanics of it all:

Stand-up, close your eyes, and have a friend push you at random intervals from any direction around you. Try to steady yourself and resist being knocked over as best you can. After a while, you might start feeling disoriented or even dizzy & nauseous (the start of motion sickness).

Take a break . . .and then try again:

Stand-up, close your eyes, and this time have your friend at 5 second intervals push from directly in front of you, and then 5 seconds later push you coming from your right side. Repeat this set over and over --Anticipate, brace yourself and counter-react to these pushes to keep from being knocked over. You shouldn't be as disoriented as you were before because you're now in control, countering these predictable, periodic and expected forces trying to push you over.

Now apply this to being on the diveboat: you see the swells coming in a regular predictable frequency (every 12 seconds for example) --Anticipate, brace yourself and counter-react to these "pushes" to keep from being knocked over. Now close your eyes and do the same thing. At the very least, with practice (and hopefully easy rhythm swells, and non-heavy, stormy or chaotic seas to start off with!), you should be able hold off the nausea to a tolerable level.

Be patient and don't give up: it takes time, concentration & effort to develop and apply this cognitive/kinesthetic technique to the seemingly complex 3-dimensional forces acting on you at sea and achieve some relief of motion sickness symptoms . . .the gist is to figure out and feel the rhythm of the swells and anticipate yours & the boat's resultant movement. . .

Those types of techniques work for some people. Typically those whose seasickness is mild. They even work for me when the sea is relatively calm and the motion is not too severe. But they simply do not work for everyone, and they don't work for me when the sea is rough.

And BTW, though I am less prone to carsickness when I am driving, I do get carsick when driving a high-performance sports car, pulling a significant fraction of a G while accelerating or turning hard.

Your methods are useful, but they only work up to a point. After that they fail.

Back
Top Bottom