Need some assistance from NorCal divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard a lot of stories about that little cafe on the Breakwater. Sometimes they are true, sometimes not. Just depends on the day I guess.

I've heard a lot of stories about that little cafe on the Breakwater. Sometimes they are true, sometimes not. Just depends on the day I guess.

Anti-hero That is a very good point, It makes me see where some may be coming from, I have had some bad experiences there as well as good ones!

Oh hey Peter that comment wasn't meant towards you Buddy, My comment was towards that thread, After hearing both sides to that story I found a lot of discrepancy!

There were a lot of parts left out if you know what I mean! LOL!

Sorry about that My friend!

No worries :cool2:

In reality there are probably plenty of stories about every dive shop.

:goingdown:See you out there:goingdown::goingdown:

Although not actually based in Monterey, Dolphin Scuba is out there all the time. They do PADI
Dolphin Scuba Center - Scuba Sales, Trips, Service, and Education.

It looks like Bamboo Reef is SSI

Glenn's Aquarius II is right on the wharf - about 200' from the water. They do PADI It's a small shop but they have the market cornered on air fills. They are going all the time.

Aquarius on Del Monte and Monterey Bay Dive Company also do PADI.

Since we're just talking about 4 beach dives at Breakwater, I would try Glenn's Aquarius II for the convenience.

Richard

Bamboo Reef will accept any universal referral form. I had a friend who did their refferal dives with them.They also have PADI instructors on staff. I'm not sure, but I think their divemaster course they offer down there is PADI, as well as SSI's divecon, you can do either.I generally have had a good experience with them.

Hope this helps.

Nomad

IMHO you would be best served to do your checkout dives and all that not so fun coursework and certification stuff at home, then when you come out to monterey you can have fun!!!! If given the option between 4 dives in monterey exploring fun stuff or hanging on a tagline doing exercises I think I would do the fun stuff. Don't make your vacation out to be work. Assuming you have limited time available to you, you really want to be able to explore all of what Monterey has to offer underwater (subject to your skill and comfort level of course) instead of clearing your mask at the breakwater. Just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

I am back from my trip and would like to thank everyone for the replies. :D

Funny thing is, I imagine most shops around Monterey are probably used to doing the pool sessions locally, and sending students out to tropical locations for open water referrals, rather than the other way around :)

I can believe that. My friend will be visiting her brother out there though and this is what started all of this.

That said, I'm sure there are plenty of shops that will take incoming referrals. You can check out:

Aquarius on Del Monte - Aquarius Dive Shop - Your PADI 5-Star Scuba Dive Center in Monterey for Training, Equipment, Service, and Rentals
Glenn's Aquarius II - Glenn's Aquarius II Dive Shop
Bamboo Reef Monterey - Scuba Diving - San Francisco, Sonoma Coast, Monterey, Bay Area | Bamboo Reef Scuba Diving Centers
Monterey Bay Dive Company - Welcome to Monterey Bay Dive Company

Wow, thanks this helps a lot.

I believe all of these shops rent gear, it's something like $70-90 per day for a full setup.

Which is what she will need. Thanks.

Checkout dives probably be at the Breakwater - a shallow, sandy site with easy beach access (but not the best vis). Temperature will likely be about 48-54F in the water, and visibility likely 10-30ft.

Brrr, that is some cold temps. I would be tempted to rent a dry suit while out there.

Oh, I don't know if any of the shops around here do CMAS, it's probably more convenient to go with the PADI cert.

Not a problem, her instructor here is CMAS but she is not married to the agency so PADI would work.

Although not actually based in Monterey, Dolphin Scuba is out there all the time. They do PADI
Dolphin Scuba Center - Scuba Sales, Trips, Service, and Education.

It looks like Bamboo Reef is SSI

Glenn's Aquarius II is right on the wharf - about 200' from the water. They do PADI It's a small shop but they have the market cornered on air fills. They are going all the time.

Aquarius on Del Monte and Monterey Bay Dive Company also do PADI.

Since we're just talking about 4 beach dives at Breakwater, I would try Glenn's Aquarius II for the convenience.

Richard

Thank you this helps as well. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom