Need some assistance from NorCal divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Casarez

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a native who grew up in SoCal but moved away at 18 and have been away since. I did not dive back then and so have not dived anywhere in Cali. I am hoping to fix that soon with a friend of mine. Now that a little background is out of the way here is my dilemma.

My friend is doing her open water training at the local YMCA in Washington DC. The instructor is offering either CMAS or PADI certification apparently. However, she would rather go her checkout dives somewhere else. She is planning to visit her brother in mid to late March in Monterey. She was hoping to do her check out dives there. So I said I would help her out and ask on this board. So my questions are:

1. Can anyone recommend a dive shop that will do referral checkout dives (Also while I have gear she does not and will need to rent)?
2. What can be expected water temp and visibility wise?

We would appreciate it and thank you in advance. Also, I might be a tad unresponsive for a few days since I am leaving for a trip but I will respond when I get back for sure if not earlier.

Hi Rick,

Funny thing is, I imagine most shops around Monterey are probably used to doing the pool sessions locally, and sending students out to tropical locations for open water referrals, rather than the other way around :)

That said, I'm sure there are plenty of shops that will take incoming referrals. You can check out:

Aquarius on Del Monte - Aquarius Dive Shop - Your PADI 5-Star Scuba Dive Center in Monterey for Training, Equipment, Service, and Rentals
Glenn's Aquarius II - Glenn's Aquarius II Dive Shop
Bamboo Reef Monterey - Scuba Diving - San Francisco, Sonoma Coast, Monterey, Bay Area | Bamboo Reef Scuba Diving Centers
Monterey Bay Dive Company - Welcome to Monterey Bay Dive Company

I believe all of these shops rent gear, it's something like $70-90 per day for a full setup.

Checkout dives probably be at the Breakwater - a shallow, sandy site with easy beach access (but not the best vis). Temperature will likely be about 48-54F in the water, and visibility likely 10-30ft.

Check out Ba_diving Website - Information about Northern California diving for some good reading on the local diving in the area.

Oh, I don't know if any of the shops around here do CMAS, it's probably more convenient to go with the PADI cert.

I would simply echo Gombessa. Conditions are highly variable here, and one should really expect the worst and hope to be pleasantly surprised. :)

Although not actually based in Monterey, Dolphin Scuba is out there all the time. They do PADI
Dolphin Scuba Center - Scuba Sales, Trips, Service, and Education.

It looks like Bamboo Reef is SSI

Glenn's Aquarius II is right on the wharf - about 200' from the water. They do PADI It's a small shop but they have the market cornered on air fills. They are going all the time.

Aquarius on Del Monte and Monterey Bay Dive Company also do PADI.

Since we're just talking about 4 beach dives at Breakwater, I would try Glenn's Aquarius II for the convenience.

Richard

I would recommend researching Glen's Aquarius II as they have some very bad feedback from members of this board.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/norcal/246271-dispute-glenns-aquarius.html

Personally I use Aquarius on Del Monte when in Monterey, and have heard good things about Bamboo Reef too.

I am not sorry to say, But I disagree with that thread, Not all of the facts were disclosed in that thread, Enough said on that issue.

I have dealt with Glenn's Aquarius sense I was Open Water Certified, And I have had nothing but great experiences with them

The people and the service is excellent!

I am not sorry to say, But I disagree with that thread, Not all of the facts were disclosed in that thread, Enough said on that issue.

I have dealt with Glenn's Aquarius sense I was Open Water Certified, And I have had nothing but great experiences with them

The people and the service is excellent!

Jim, I know they are your friends. I personally have nothing bad to say, as I have not had interaction with them, but have heard "things" from other people and that is all I have to go on. Hence why I recommended researching.

Jim, I know they are your friends. I personally have nothing bad to say, as I have not had interaction with them, but have heard "things" from other people and that is all I have to go on. Hence why I recommended researching.

Oh hey Peter that comment wasn't meant towards you Buddy, My comment was towards that thread, After hearing both sides to that story I found a lot of discrepancy!

There were a lot of parts left out if you know what I mean! LOL!

Sorry about that My friend!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom