Need simple answer for Bifocal lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gregp

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Been diving for 20years and am old. I have had lasik and can see 20/20 distance. Close up stinks. Have used the bifocal stick on lenses for gauges
which is OK; however, when you go to take pictures they don't work. You get whiplash trying to see the camera screen and the fish laugh at you because you are so entertaining trying to see them. WOW have I screwed up alot of pics. Where do I find a true bifocal lense. There are a lot of me's out there who are not admitting they are old! I am about to start diving with my throw away reading glasses on.

I just sent my Atomics Sub Frame mask to prescriptiondivemasks.com and had readers installed on them. Cost was 99 dollars. I checked with several LDS's and they started at 150 dollars and went up from there. My mask is delivering via DHL tomorrow so I have not seen or used it yet. Prescription Dive Masks gets excellent reviews on these boards and it is where I heard about them.

Old Gaffer

.... Prescription Dive Masks gets excellent reviews on these boards and it is where I heard about them.

They did my mask, it's terrific!

However, bifocals and photography are a tough but not impossible. I shoot video during most of my dives and the bifocal mask does not hinder me much. In fact I barely notice it anymore.

I sent my mask in for bifocals. I couldn't dive without them, because I can't read my gauges in reduced light, which is generally what Puget Sounders dive in. The great thing about custom bifocals is that you can tell them where you want the lenses to sit, so they don't occupy too much (or too little) of your visual field.

Try one contact, I love it.

I got my eyes checked at Costco, I have never had glasses and was not seeing my Suunto so great anymore. I always wondered what the beep was all about, he he. Anyway, the one contact is great, I can see everything close and far. I can shoot manual now. They are like 18 dollars a box or something and of course last forever, since you only use one for about a week and then toss it. For me, this has been an unbelievably easy and inexpensive solution.

my husband got a bifocal put in his mask just on one side and his regular distance prescription on the rest of the mask. loves it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom