Need recommendation for small boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big fan of Living Underwater. Jeremy and crew are great. some of the best dive's we've had in Coz and we've been 4 years in a row now.
Comes to your hotel or condo and picks up your gear. They dive steel tanks and computers. Did 10 days of diving with him last September and I'm hoping to do that many this year.

So I've heard --- repeatedly.

I just wish she'd put her prices up on her website. Lack of is so annoying.

I think Alison is charging $70 for a two tank this year. I don't know why she doesn't. I can only speculate that she wants people who want to dive with her and not people who price her cheaper than "Dive OP X." It does create some mystery. I was talking to a guy from a bigger op and he thought she was really expensive until I told him otherwise. So the experience only feels expensive....

I was talking to a guy from a bigger op and he thought she was really expensive until I told him otherwise. So the experience only feels expensive....

The real issue is value. No doubt you can find cheaper. I pay more than $70 with Aldora.

You can pay less but often you get what you pay for.

I think Alison is charging $70 for a two tank this year. I don't know why she doesn't. I can only speculate that she wants people who want to dive with her and not people who price her cheaper than "Dive OP X." It does create some mystery. I was talking to a guy from a bigger op and he thought she was really expensive until I told him otherwise. So the experience only feels expensive....

I think that your speculation is most likely correct. However, I still find it misguided. The folly of choosing an op based on price alone has been clearly discussed in this very thread. She needs to give me credit to have enough sense to determine whether the Dive with Alison experience is worth an extra $5.00, $10.00 or $40.00 per tank, or if the Dive with Alison experience just isn't for me because she wears blue split fins and I hate them.

Her website is detailed enough, that it gives the reader a pretty good idea of what she's about. I think we'd get along just fine. I'd be interested, and have to give her serious consideration at $70. At $85? --- not so much. But when I have a short list of 3 - 5 ops, that give me costs upfront, guess which list she's on.

$70 is what she quoted me for a two tank dive.

Wife and I have been diving Coz for years. Dove Belize and Keys last year, so we're two years behind on any change. Over the years of diving Coz, wife and I dove from the big (sometimes 20 divers) boats. Belize was her first experience with six packs and she absolutley loved it. I was looking at Dive with Martin. Looks like they'll to a max of eight divers on their boats. True? And any other recommendations on Ops? She's not real concerned about having a cabin and head on a boat, she wants a fast boat and do the sits on the beach, if she can get it. Be on the island July 6. Thanks in advance.

I haven't seen any posts about Pelagic Ventures..a small op that never takes more than 5 or 6. Troy's DM, Alex is the best I've ever been with. Always shows you all the great critters. You dive your own profile, though he'll give you as much support as you need. He has a website, but doesn't put prices up. The last time I dove with them I think it was $70 for a 2 tank dive.
The only time I dove with anyone else was when they set me up with Papa Hog's for a night dive.

X2 for XTSea. They will keep your gear (minus wetsuit), clean it every day and have it on the boat ready to go when they pick you up. Just got back June 2 from two weeks with them. Awesome time.

I like this storing the gear for you. To answer some other questions poppin up. 120's aren't neccessary. 65-75 dollars per two tank. SIT on the beach where the wife can get some ice tea, but she'll bring her own. Just doesn't want to ride waves for an hour. Storing gear is nice (Belize). Pick up and drop off at hotel cozumel. Nothing fancy. Just want to get on a fast boat, get in the dives, have someone store the gear, sit on land between dives. I've got some great suggestions and I think I have want I need. We're at 100 dives now and while we love it, we've learned what we want out of the whole trip experience. Thanks everyone.

---------- Post added ----------

"Six pack" is a term that's familiar and used for the small boat operators. Reality is most are "eight-pack." Yes, the high-end of the "valet diving" shops are fantastic... and one of them is my personal first-choice, but they aren't the best choice for everyone. Not everyone wants to pay $80-95+ for a 2 tank trip. Not everyone wants to have the dive shop rinse and store their gear, provide towels, fruit, water & soft drinks, SI's at beach clubs, have steel 95s, 100s or 120s, etc., etc. There's no shortage of dive shops in Cozumel. It's one of the few Caribbean destinations that I've been to that has such a vast selection of shops to choose from, regardless of where you decide to stay. Most places in the Caribbean that I've dived, your dive shop is decided by your choice of accommodation. The resort, condo complex, time share, or villa community has it's on-site shop. Choosing to dive with someone else adds cumbersome logistics to your vacation. In Cozumel, if you stay anywhere from town and south, you can pretty much choose any dive operator on the island and get pier pick up/drop off. It's almost impossible to have a dive vacation in Cozumel and not find your perfect combination of accommodations and dive shops. The downside is that as I recall, the first Cozumel dive vacation can be difficult to plan. Sooo many options and it's tough to sift through the cheerleading for various shops and finding which shop will really be YOUR best fit.

Definitely decide what you want in every aspect of your diving experience, then look for the shop that can check the most number of your boxes. The leg work is well worth it. Cozumel is a fantastic dive destination. If you can get through the selection process and make your best choices, you will surely be back again and again, and never be disappointed.

Thanks. This is our fifth trip to Coz. We've had valet service at several other dive destinations we frequent. Just looking for names and opinions on ops with small boats. Got some great advise here. This is a great board for us.

Another plug for Bottomtime Divers. I have used them for many years and dove with Raul when he was with the "original" Blue Bubble over a decade ago. Raul is the now the owner/DM of BTD and offers gear setup, snacks, water, rain gear and has a knack for finding small things like pipefish, pipehorses, and other small critters although he spots larger life as he did with some dolphins on the surface this last May (who thinks to keep looking up). I think he still loves diving and does not like lionfish.

He charges around $70/2 tanks but check his website for package prices. He has a 6-pack boat and generally uses AL 80's but can get AL 100's if you ask. His dive profiles stay on the tables (no deco unless you arrange it), stairstep profiles to maximize dive time and is safety conscious. Make sure you let him know how you want to dive i.e. walls, on top of walls, swimthroughs, look for specific things, etc though the dives are divers choice and you may have to contend with other divers wishes. Cozumel Scuba Diving | Go diving in Cozumel with BottomTimeDivers dive operator.

I have used Living Underwater and like Jeremy. I have heard good things about Dive with Allison and have friends who like Aldora. I like diving with Pedro Pablo with Blue XT-Sea. I have heard lately (Feb and May 2012) from divers that used Dive with Martin, that it's good - I haven't used them. Basically I choose the DM and not the company. It's tough to recommend a DM as you won't know their style until you dive with them. Many will be good, some will be perfect for you and a few not.

The real issue is value. No doubt you can find cheaper. I pay more than $70 with Aldora.

You can pay less but often you get what you pay for.

You are right about value. I can't believe I can get that kind of personalized service and the fastest boat on the water for $70. She could charge more.

You are right about value. I can't believe I can get that kind of personalized service and the fastest boat on the water for $70. She could charge more.

I will let her know that you want to be charged more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom