Need recommendation - fins for 12 years old

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fbrissette

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My son has been diving for 2 years and he has always complained about the stiffness of his fins. Till he gets older, we only do easy diving, no current, so power is not important. Currently using cressi waves. Open heel is a preference since we sometimes dive in relatively cold Lake, but willing to consider full foot if this is what it takes for a soft fin.

Thanks.

School-age students often use full-foot rubber fins to support their swim workouts without risking muscle strains. The longer bladed versions can be deployed for underwater swimming too. They are the norm for diving in Japan and were standard everywhere up to the 1970s. When I snorkel in the cold waters of the North Sea near where I live in North East England, these are the kinds of fins I have used for over fifty years.

You might consider, for example, Scubapro's Full Foot Fin:
rubberfffin-copy.jpg

http://www.scubapro.com/en-US/USA/snorkeling/products/rubber-full-foot-fin.aspx
It comes in a good range of sizes. A similar fin is the Head Corda:
31YyOyY7pIL._SY355_.jpg

which can be had from Amazon at Amazon.com : Head Corda Rubber Full Foot Fin : Sports & Outdoors

There are many other fins of this type available and they can be so comfortable that it's easy to forget you are wearing them. And some all-rubber models, e.g. the Aqualung Sea Lion fins
sea_lions_fins_group.jpg

used as resort fins in Hawaii and elsewhere, have very soft foot pockets and blades. It all depends on the blend, which can be stiff as with Jet Fins, or soft, as in the case of many workout/snorkelling fins. Unlike fins made from synthetics, they're also pretty indestructible.

For cold water, get a pair a size or two bigger than usual to accommodate neoprene socks. Try them on with whatever your 12-year-old is planning to wear with them to check fit.

An additional recommendation comes from one Pete Atkinson, an Australian underwater photographer, here with his rubber fins:
91050.jpg

Read his story and the reasons for his fin preference at My favourite kit - Pete Atkinson

Last edited:
Lots of fins are soft and easy on the ankles, calves.
Plenty of soft fins for open-heel and booties.
Most split fins are soft....too soft, in my opinion.
Go to a shop and try some out. Better, find a shop that will let you use them in a pool before you buy them.
Suggestion: pure rubber fins are usually stiffer than new-design multi-material fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom