Need options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't know the prices but the thread below is about a new nonstop United service from Newark to Curacao:

United nonstop ewr cur

Driving to Newark is a non-starter for me. Too expensive and way too much hassle. I'll check and see if I can make connections from Albany. Usually it's only possible going. Coming back it's 20+ hours with multiple stops through Huston.

Just checked. No way to make connections either direction with out an overnight stay. And flight cost nearly doubles. Including a motel for the overnights, it's more than Bonaire by far.

Thanks for the thought, though.

My next trip is booked and hopefully it might replace Bonaire. Flying direct to Fort Lauderdale and driving to Key Largo. Direct flight from Albany is aproximately 3 hours each way, in comfort zone, no bag fee, no lost baggage, no customs, no red eye, ≈ $250. Car rental 10 days <$300. Staying on a sailboat 9 days in a marina on Key Largo ≈ $1000. Diving ala Carte - options of package diving morning and/or afternoon at about what I'd pay for boat diving on Bon. Snorkeling close by.

I snorkeled Key Largo in 2006 and found it very good. Hope I find the diving good this time. I'll post a trip review when I get back.

Driving to Newark is a non-starter for me. Too expensive and way too much hassle. I'll check and see if I can make connections from Albany. Usually it's only possible going. Coming back it's 20+ hours with multiple stops through Huston.

Just checked. No way to make connections either direction with out an overnight stay. And flight cost nearly doubles. Including a motel for the overnights, it's more than Bonaire by far.

Thanks for the thought, though.

My next trip is booked and hopefully it might replace Bonaire. Flying direct to Fort Lauderdale and driving to Key Largo. Direct flight from Albany is aproximately 3 hours each way, in comfort zone, no bag fee, no lost baggage, no customs, no red eye, ≈ $250. Car rental 10 days <$300. Staying on a sailboat 9 days in a marina on Key Largo ≈ $1000. Diving ala Carte - options of package diving morning and/or afternoon at about what I'd pay for boat diving on Bon. Snorkeling close by.

I snorkeled Key Largo in 2006 and found it very good. Hope I find the diving good this time. I'll post a trip review when I get back.

Upstate NY is a lovely area and you are very lucky to live there, but in my limited experience it isn't always easy to travel to/from that area. You are probably closer to the Caribbean than I am in Midwest, but I have easy access to both O'Hare and Midway and sometimes that is an advantage.

The Florida Keys are great fun and I hope you have an excellent trip!

Upstate NY is a lovely area and you are very lucky to live there, but in my limited experience it isn't always easy to travel to/from that area. You are probably closer to the Caribbean than I am in Midwest, but I have easy access to both O'Hare and Midway and sometimes that is an advantage.

The Florida Keys are great fun and I hope you have an excellent trip!

So true. Unless I drive to Newark It's difficult - and that in itself is difficult and expensive. And way too often I had a flight booked that was direct to and from Newark to Bonaire and United "re-scheduled" me to fly back from Bonaire through Huston to Detroit, then DC, finally to Newark. No more United flights. I've been "re-scheduled" through Huston more than once with huge delays in Huston - never again.

I'm very much looking forward to my adventure in the Keys. Thanks for the well wishes.

It sounds like the Aggressor or Explorer Venture boats in the Caribbean would suit you. I've seen the crews on both be very accommodating to those with physical issues.

It sounds like the Aggressor or Explorer Venture boats in the Caribbean would suit you. I've seen the crews on both be very accommodating to those with physical issues.

Problem is the single suppliment. Sends it far into the "not worth it" realm. I snore far too badly to share a berth. Whoever got stuck with me would have their vacation ruined.

Problem is the single suppliment. Sends it far into the "not worth it" realm. I snore far too badly to share a berth. Whoever got stuck with me would have their vacation ruined.
Too bad about your snoring, I've done a few liveaboards as a single, and the roommate situation worked out just fine. There are some liveaboards that have single rooms that are only modestly more money compared to a single supplement. The only boat I've taken is the Nautilus Explorer to Los Revillagigedos, a fantastic trip. Cabins A! and B1 are the singles and cost 25% more than the price of one berth in a double cabin. I would imagine there are other boats that have a similar arrangement.

Too bad about your snoring, I've done a few liveaboards as a single, and the roommate situation worked out just fine. There are some liveaboards that have single rooms that are only modestly more money compared to a single supplement. The only boat I've taken is the Nautilus Explorer to Los Revillagigedos, a fantastic trip. Cabins A! and B1 are the singles and cost 25% more than the price of one berth in a double cabin. I would imagine there are other boats that have a similar arrangement.

Thanks!!! I'll check into that. I'd hate to be forced to walk the plank, thrown overboard, or simply smothered in my sleep. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom