Need opinions on Sony Rx100, Canon 100 or 110

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
OK. I have a Canon Powershot 620 camera in a canon housing and a Kodak HD cam in a Ikelite housing. Both still work and I get decent results. However, I'm looking at upgrading to a camera that shoots great HD video and photos in one unit. Thinking about the Sony RX 100 given the size of the sensor, but also want to hear opinions of the Canon crowd. I shoot mostly video nowadays, but still like to take select photos. Are either of these three cameras right for me? I take photos and video mostly only when I travel so I'm not looking at a large SLR system - want something more compact. How much 1080p video time do you get on the Sony or Canon on 1 battery? Housing recommendations?

Was a s90 user. Just got an rx100

one cool feature you might like. You can shoot 1080 60fps and take a 17mp photo without interrupting the video.

Housigs are a bitch though. I've been very happy with the canon brand housing for my s90.
The cheapest option for the rx100 is ikelite for 350. It really is poorly designed. Some of the knobs interfere with others and the zoom knobs slides off the lever and you can't fix it underwater. I bought it and sent it back after 1 day. I ended up getting the nauticam housing for 900. It really is night and day.

Unfortunately a good functional housing if you plan to change setting often underwater is expensive with the rx100. But got to have that sensor size :)

---------- Post added April 26th, 2013 at 09:20 PM ----------

Also the image stabilization on the Sony video is pretty good.

I've not been blown away with the Sony video's I've seen, but I'm comparing it to Canon videos where lots of high-dollar lighting and wet lenses were in use (apples and oranges).

The Canon is easier to house, but the Sony has a decent battery that the S-series lacks. You may want to consider the Panasonic LX7 too. I think Interceptor121 has shot all three. Maybe he'll chime in and give you some real-world use advice.

I heard my name
Canon are excellent and easy to use but battery life is nowhere near the Sony RX100 or the Panasonic LX7.
When you shoot stills canon S get two dives with one battery RX100/LX7 4+. In video canon does not get to 2 dives you get 3/4 from the RX/LX depending on shooting style.
So the choice is narrowed down to RX100 or LX7.
In general terms if you shoot mostly pictures and occasional video I would go for the RX100, this camera offers more lens choices in terms of fisheye and the still benefit from the larger sensor a great deal.
If you shoot mostly video with occasional stills then get an LX7, the camera beats the Sony hands down on macro both video and still however the widest you can get is 100 degrees with an Inon UWL-H100. There are no fisheye or semifisheye options for the LX7 as the camera lens is simply too big.

A few video comparisons:

LX7
[youtubehq]JWdwsPdBxqY[/youtubehq]

RX100
[youtubehq]DuCMkUyYiDE[/youtubehq]

For stills look on nauticam smugmug (there are many excellent RX100 pictures but those are taken with the same diopters and wet lenses)

NA-RX100 test @ Anilao July-2012 - Nauticam Photo Gallery's Photos

NA-LX7 test @ PG Oct-2012 - Nauticam Photo Gallery's Photos

The RX100 photos are cropped this camera needs +12 or more to get to real macro

I have extensive information and tests on my blog Interceptor121 Underwater Video | Tip & Tricks for Digital Compact Cameras Users look into the archives for the RX100

Back
Top Bottom