Need mask help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Artimas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a mask problem that interferes with my diving pleasure, so I am looking for advice as to what features to look for in a new mask. I think technology has improved recently. I haven't gotten a new mask in a while, and have suffered with ones I bought a few years ago at my LDS. They seemed to fit when I try them in the store, but I run into problems when I actually dive. The masks I have tried have either leaked, or have given me pain across the bridge of my nose after they've been on for a while.

I have a rather large nose, and I may also need lenses soon which affects my decision as well.

The 3 masks I tried were: Sherwood EZR2 (nose bridge pain)
Tusa Splendive II (nose bridge pain)
Tusa Visio (leaks)

Before going to try masks on again, does anyone have an opinion about what design features might be best for me? Any specific models to try?

I imagine it's hard to buy a mask without trying it on, so are there any stores that will sell online that allows returns if I'm not satisfied (the LDS won't take back a used mask).

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Honestly fit is the most important thing with a mask. I would try to find one at your LDS if at all possible.
Brent

I've had the same problem as you have.
I think that it's very difficult to check in the shop whether a mask truly fits or not, unless you put your regulator into your mouth (yes, in the shop) and check whether it still seals well.
I've also had the "pain across bridge experience", but have been fortunate enough to find masks that fit my face better, and are cut wide/long enough to not press on my nose constantly.
I personally have had good success with Scubapro's Frameless 2 (leaks very rarely, and if it does, it's probably my fault, because I did not shave or not well enough, or the mask strap isn't quite where it should be), which I'm currently diving, as well as with the Mares X-Vision (which I unfortunately lost while assisting another diver, has a better field of vision than the SP Frameless 2).

Try the Oceanic Shadow masks. After trying several masks, this one does not leak and feels like it isn't there at all.
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/OCNMBS.html?Search=op%3ddtSearch%26Term%3doceanic%2bshadow%26SearchFlag%3dall%26AdvSrchSortField%3dRelevance%26DescSort%3d0%26Hit%3d1

I had a Mares X-Vision and loved that.. bought the shadow as a backup mask as it is easy to store in a pocket, but after testing it out I now use it as my primary and am in the process of getting another for a backup.

I share your pain on the bridge of my nose and even my forehead. I second the recommendation for the Scubapro Frameless 2--it's a bit pricey, but well worth it for the comfort. If that's too much (and a generally reliable one-size-fits-all), check out Tusa's Panageo. It is not a low-volume mask however.

I only settled on my current mask, an Atomic Frameless, after going to about a million different shops and trying on about eight million different masks. I probably spent as much on gas as I did the mask. I didn't think to bring my reg or a snorkle to distort my face, but that's a real good idea. I ended up happy, but the mask that works for me may not fit your face. All I can say is it's going to take a lot of effort. Try as many as you can, and if you can rent and actually use them, even better. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully others will chime in as well.

As I've thought about this some more, it makes sense to me that a single lens mask would be less likely to hurt the bridge of the nose compared to 2 lens models. There isn't a frame piece in that spot separating the 2 lenses, which is what I think pushes on the bridge of the nose and forehead. Perhaps I'll concentrate on the single lens models in my shopping.

Does that seem reasonable?

Artimas:
Thanks for the replies. Hopefully others will chime in as well.

As I've thought about this some more, it makes sense to me that a single lens mask would be less likely to hurt the bridge of the nose compared to 2 lens models. There isn't a frame piece in that spot separating the 2 lenses, which is what I think pushes on the bridge of the nose and forehead. Perhaps I'll concentrate on the single lens models in my shopping.

Does that seem reasonable?
I don't quite understand your problem. I've never had a mask go anywhere near the bridge of my nose. It only makes conctact in a ring around my forehead, down my cheeks, and under my nose. Are you talking about the mask actually contacting the bridge of your nose? Or pressure coming from tissue being displaced on your forehead?

I'll try to clarify:

I guess I have a strangely shaped face. The part of the frame between the 2 lenses actually touches and pushes against the bridge of my nose. As an example, in this picture, the part of the frame just below the red and yellow logo would be where the frame is pushing in and causing pain. The skirt contacts around my face also.

mask-b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom