Need Lightest Fins On Market – Please Advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am looking for the absolute lightest fins available. Current best option so far is trimming down a set of Mares Razor Carbons to make a short travel fin.

The reason I am looking for this is I travel for long periods by bicycle and want to go snorkelling and freediving when I get the opportunity. I have spent a lot of time, research, effort, and silly amounts of money to reduce my overall weight by even a few grams here and there, so I really am after the no-holds-barred lightest possible fins I can lay hands on.

I saw some purpose made short travel fins, but they appear to be heavier than the full-length Mares I mentioned above, as I guess they are made a cheap and heavy materials, so already I am ahead.

Its kind of difficult since not a lot of manufacturers list the weights, it doesn't seem to be a super-important factor for this sport. If you know of some lighter options please suggest, and I would also welcome tips on lightening existing fins. Is there a niche of the diving world that is obsessive over weight savings? somehow I think not, since underwater it doesn't matter that much, but if there is it would be a useful group for me to learn from. It has been a really interesting undertaking for me finding/making the lightest gear possible, and here is another problem to solve :)

Thanks

Take a look at Force Fins. Price is high but you may find some good deals in used models.

Thanks for that suggestion, these look promising and I like their thoughts on fin design (though I have little experience to relate it to the real-world). I've sent a message asking them for weight measures. It looks like their Slim Fin might be lightest at around 2lbs. The Mares Razor Carbons are 960g in my size, so if I trim them I may still come out ahead of the ForceFins. But they might be too stiff if I trim them, and also I can probably lighten the Slim Fins by replacing the neoprene with thinner material, and using Dyneema or Vectran webbing instead of the nylon and bungee.

---------- Post added April 9th, 2013 at 12:04 PM ----------

Hmm, I came across these, which apparently were made by the man behind Force Fins, way back in 2000. They look light too, except for the foot area.
1100fin.jpg

Aqualung HotShots are very light and small. Hollis F2s are also light and relatively small.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom