Need kinder gentler small dive operator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks...I'm stuck with staying in Cancun, I already, 3 weeks ago, paid for the package; I inquired about changing it to stay in Cozumel; it would cost me as much to change it as I payed for the whole package. I've arranged to go with a dive operator in Cancun , they go one day (2 dives) to Cancun, one day, 2 dives to Cozumel, and one day to the Cenotes. Does this sound like it will work or have I screwed everything up? I've dived in Thailand, Saudi, and the Channel Islands but never in Mexico so I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks, Chris

Hi Chris, You haven't screwed everything up....Look at the positives...!!

1. You are getting away for a nice 4-5 day vacation. You mentioned you work 12 hour ICU shifts...that says it all...you deserve a break :) So, now you have a plane ride-which can be frustrating, but it is taking you away from it all. Sit back and enjoy the pretzels. At least your not at work. :D

2. You have a hotel stay which is a different surrounding and something new for a change.

3. You will be diving in Cancun one day and then over to Cozumel another day and then the Cenotes. At least you will be able to compare the three areas of diving.

4. You will travel by ferry to Cozumel. OK, this does take a few hours total out of your day, however, it is a boat ride and looking out over the water is pleasant. Use the time to meditate, relax and do nothing...A little bit of Nothing is a good thing to do on vacation.

5. You will have the experience of your Mexico diving under your belt and can decide where your future Mexico diving trips will be.

It will all turn out fine. It would be great to hear about your trip. In fact, don't be surprised if your not planning an exclusive Cozumel trip even before you are home. :D Of course, come back here to the Cozumel forum and visit with us before you make any concrete plans. We would be happy to tell all about our favorites and share ideas with you. Have a wonderful time ! Sue

Sue, Thank you for your encouragement. I do have a question. I'm going for the diving, not the nightlife or shopping; I''ll probably just hang out at the hotel when I'm not diving (not much time for that in my 3 days!) I get the idea that the preference most people have for Cozumel over Cancun is the general milieu, which might not be relevant to my 3 days of diving. Is this correct?. Thanks, Chris

Thanks, Gordon, the dive company picks me up at my motel and takes me to Cozumel for that dive, is what I understand. For the Cancun and Cenote dive I go down to the dive shop. C

Sue, Thank you for your encouragement. I do have a question. I'm going for the diving, not the nightlife or shopping; I''ll probably just hang out at the hotel when I'm not diving (not much time for that in my 3 days!) I get the idea that the preference most people have for Cozumel over Cancun is the general milieu, which might not be relevant to my 3 days of diving. Is this correct?. Thanks, Chris

Not at all, though incidentally I do prefer the Cozumel onshore environment. I think that most would agree that the diving at Cozumel is also much superior to that around Cancun.

I can say from past experience that that the the combination of Cozumel topside activity and diving does have a bearing on even a short 3 day trip. That is of course if staying in one place. I don't think that the general makeup of either Cancun or Cozumel will be relevant to your upcoming 3 day trip. Since your days will be occupied with either sleeping, grabbing a bite to eat, hotel time, traveling from one point to the other or diving you are going to be busy with your schedule. However, I do think you will be able to at least get a feel for things and be able to apply the experience to future plans.

Hi Chris, You haven't screwed everything up....Look at the positives...!!

1. You are getting away for a nice 4-5 day vacation. You mentioned you work 12 hour ICU shifts...that says it all...you deserve a break :) So, now you have a plane ride-which can be frustrating, but it is taking you away from it all. Sit back and enjoy the pretzels. At least your not at work. :D

2. You have a hotel stay which is a different surrounding and something new for a change.

3. You will be diving in Cancun one day and then over to Cozumel another day and then the Cenotes. At least you will be able to compare the three areas of diving.

4. You will travel by ferry to Cozumel. OK, this does take a few hours total out of your day, however, it is a boat ride and looking out over the water is pleasant. Use the time to meditate, relax and do nothing...A little bit of Nothing is a good thing to do on vacation.

5. You will have the experience of your Mexico diving under your belt and can decide where your future Mexico diving trips will be.

It will all turn out fine. It would be great to hear about your trip. In fact, don't be surprised if your not planning an exclusive Cozumel trip even before you are home. :D Of course, come back here to the Cozumel forum and visit with us before you make any concrete plans. We would be happy to tell all about our favorites and share ideas with you. Have a wonderful time ! Sue

Great advice.

Don't worry about what you could have done different. Everyone looks at things differently, enjoy all your dives. This way you will be able to experience it all. Next trip you can do things differently if you wish.

I will say, rest up. If that is your three day vacation, you
will be jumping.

Have fun and let us know what you think.

PH

Back
Top Bottom